Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Trudeau government avoids defeat on key pot bill vote

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Trudeau government avoids defeat on key pot bill vote
John Paul Tasker
CBC
March 22nd, 2018

The Liberal government avoided a disastrous result for its marquee marijuana bill Thursday, as the legislation to legalize recreational cannabis passed a key stage in the Senate. It's now headed to five separate committees for further study.

Senators voted 44 to 29 to pass the bill, largely along partisan lines, at second reading. A defeat would have killed the bill, forcing the government to start over again in the House of Commons with new legislation, all the while jeopardizing plans for full legalization by summer.

All 28 Conservative senators present in the chamber voted against the bill. Virtually all Independent senators - most of them appointed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau - sided with the government.

Independent P.E.I. Sen. Mike Duffy was the lone hold-out and voted with the Conservatives. And, in a rare move, Speaker George Furey, who usually refrains from voting, voted to move the bill to committee.

"I think it's an important statement by the majority that this bill must advance," Peter Harder, the government's representative in the Senate, told reporters after the vote.

Read the full story here.

Glad it passed. And a good reminder how far we all have yet to go, even with our northern cousin's more progressive drug policy.

They just need to get this signed into law (I have a bet with my room mate)

What bet exactly?

==========================================

I am relieved to read about this.

Canada legalizing weed is an important step in the right direction, and it'll motivate other American states in the lower 48 to move forward as well.

Insanity = persecuting a citizen for parts of freakin' plant in his pocket.

What bet exactly?

==========================================

I am relieved to read about this.

Canada legalizing weed is an important step in the right direction, and it'll motivate other American states in the lower 48 to move forward as well.

Insanity = persecuting a citizen for parts of freakin' plant in his pocket.

Well he thinks trudeau is not going to legalize this term, blame it on conservatives and tell the public he needs one more term to finish the job.

I think it IS going to happen this term because if it doesn't, theres no way the liberals will get elected again.

Every time legislation gets delayed he rubs it in >.>

Well he thinks trudeau is not going to legalize this term, blame it on conservatives and tell the public he needs one more term to finish the job.

I think it IS going to happen this term because if it doesn't, theres no way the liberals will get elected again.

Every time legislation gets delayed he rubs it in >.>

I hope like I've rarely hoped before that you win the bet.

If Trudeau doesn't play his cards right from here on out, it'll likely mean career suicide.

If he dares to hold the legalization of cannabis hostage in order to ensure he remains in power, then he's a bloody fool, and his legacy shall be tarnished forever.

I think what bothers me most, is that I'm not certain that I can trust him to keep his word, and clearly I'm not the only one, but I digress.

Please don't fuck this up, Justin.