• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

How to save myself from addict relationship

melonjuju77

Greenlighter
Quick background: Due to an untreated autoimmune disease (finally at age 18 told I was diagnosed since age 4... lovely) I had 6 major surgeries from ages 11 - 16. This was my first introduction to opiate pain medication. I didnt abuse them as a child, but there was a dependency; may have 2 do w my inclination towards opiates now. As I got older I drank socially, experiment w cocaine (4-5x/year). At 25 I got married - things went downhill fast. Exhusband was clinically diagnosed as a narcissist. Had no empathy or time for me - I was a burden. Extremely controlling (took all my paychecks, refused to purchase necessities - we made above 6figures, he was just cheap). During this time I became very depressed, unmotivated at work & began drinking nearly everyday in secrecy. My ex & I had a very active social life, and he enjoyed drinking heavily, mixd w coke or snorting adderall. After 1 incident where he was wasted, he demanded his car keys, yanked for my purse, sent me flying and I broke my arm. Things were never the same and I left him, moved to my own place.
However as I did not address my own alcohol/depression, 2 months later I ended up quitting my job & moving in with a longtime friend, "Brandon", whom i had begun seeing. This was supposed to be temporary.. but i was in luuurrvvv *eyeroll*
Unbeknownst to me, Brandon had recently moved back to our hometown as he had gotten into a bad circle in former city, and had become addicted to smoking H. He had been clean for 2 months prior to seeing me, and 5 months into us living together. He was participating in an IOP program w biweekly urine tests, so I know he was clean then - and those months I had never been happier. I was sober from alcohol during this. Even now I maybe have half a glass of wine at holiday every 4-5months
We can all see where this is going... fastforward and the "errands" he would run would take 4-5 hours, long bathroom breaks, etc. I confronted him & he came clean, crying, "please dont leave I will do right by you I swear"
.. Not sure if I was just afraid of another failure, felt pity or both, but I stayed. He got sober for a month and then same old thing. One night after a wedding, where I had too much to drink,he was in the bathroom using & i lost it. I felt like I was losing him and had no idea about this part of his life. I begged for him to let me try it... he finally caved. For the next few months I would smoke with him occasionally, but he was very careful to not let me use more than 1x a week. Eventually that stopped, and he felt so horrible what had happened to us, wasting our lives and future, we both got subs and prepared to detox. It was hell. 3 days later he says "if we just get a little H it resets, we will feel better and not detox from subs". hes the expert so I believed him.... that was dumb. We immediately fell back in to the habit and have been on this 4 weeks using-1 week detox-slip up that starts us back all over again Groundhog day for a year now. Weve done things Im ashamed to type to get our fix. He is currently awaiting a court date for shoplifting electronics to trade for H/subs.
It was just Brandons bday and we made a pact no more. We stocked up on subs, blocked all contacts, and he changed his phone number. (He is the 1 who speaks to the dealer)
No one on my side (family/friends) knows about this. His parents do as his is a trust fund baby who attempts lame excuses to get funds out of it to buy drugs.. and they know his past with 3 verrryyy expensive rehab stints under his belt.
I love him, but I love me more. It would be wonderful if he would decide his life is worth living - but I have lost my confidence in this happening, and feel im drowning with him in the process. I cant save him when I dont know how to save myself. 2 years ago I was a homeowner, married (albeit to an asshole.. sensing a pattern), had an amazing career, social life, car... now i can barely put on a hoodie and sweats, care for my dog. I miss my family and friends, whom a lot I have lost bc I am unreliable at showing up, Brandon has borrowedmoney from them which I cant pay back (no job)...
Im out of excuses to my parents as to why I cant find a job. Im very qualified & have an amazing resume. Im just not trying whatsoever as how it stands currently, I cant gauruntee I would make any scheduled interview. My family has said, gently, that if nothing changes maybe I should move back home for a few weeks to get back on my feet? They dont know I have been struggling with drug abuse, I guess maybe they have suspicions but it hasnt come up...
I love Brandon & dont want to abandon him. As of right now we have both quit H and are on day 2 of a 5 day sub taper (got 6 8mg subs total) - 1 week from now I have an appt to get my own script. Brandon is currently holed up in bed, and will be for a day or 2. Detoxes are much harder on him as his physical dependency has been nearly 8 years vs mine of 1year~.
I told Brandon multiple times over the last 2 months i am unhappy, this is no way to live, I cant get my shit together and get a job to support myself if we dont stop the cycle. I say that it is probably best I go stay at my parents house (10min away) where I will be fed, taken care of, can get used to a normal daily routine, find work. My parents are very supportive of this & have hinted at buying me a car. He hears me when i give him this "ultimatum"?? threat?? but doesnt say much, and thats the end of the convo. I am at my breaking point. I fear if I dont leave Ill wake up in 5 years in an empty house, poor health, all alone. I have been quietly boxing up my things in the attic and basement, as well as getting my clothes, personals together to move out easily; eradicate any last minute excuse when I pull the trigger.
Ive left out a lot of dirty (shameful) details, but hope this is enough to explain my current state. He is in day 1 of detox, but has subs - Do I give him a few days to level out before leaving? I.e. slowly move things over while keeping an eye on him until he can get out of bed.... Do I leave with my shit & be done with the whole situation? He says he is 100% committed to this and has himself scheduled to enter IOP & an ongoing doctor regulated suboxone program for 6 months to really give himself a fighting chance this time..... or do i go to my parents house & continuing dating him, while living there?
I am sorry this is so long I could just use any insight/opinions whatsoever.
For the record, in the past I have had no issues quitting and abstaining from H. I know if he was out of the picture I would never use again. I just wish he would never use again, either... :(

I see your dilemma because you need to get clean and seem to have doubts that Brandon is capable of doing the same. Given his history, I don't blame you for wanting to leave and would probably do the same. Your family is there for you and I think they know something is wrong. If they want to help you, take them up on it. I don't think your fears are unfounded because with this lifestyle, things can go south real fast.

See how Brandon does when you move back home. Hopefully he will be supportive and if he isn't, you will have to let him go. It's a tough decision but you need to put yourself first. I would suggest get some clean time under your belt and explore counseling. This way you can avoid getting into relationships like this further down the road. Welcome to Bluelight and let us know how you're doing! <3

I havent posted on blue light in such a long time, over a year I think, but your story really rings home with me, as I have been where you are. I don't know you and I don't claim to have the answers, but when I was in a very familiar situation, going to live with my parents was the best thing I could've done for myself. I think you said it all when you said, I love him, but I love me more. Take care of you first - it doesn't mean you cannot be there for him in some capacity. I can tell you have a caring heart, and so I'm sure you wouldn't be able to just walk away, as I wasn't either. But at least at your folks place you can clear your head and see things from a distance a bit better.. I know what you're going through is extremely difficult, but I think perhaps subconsciously you've maybe known that this day was coming, as you've been quietly packing your things just as I did a year ago. Take things one day at a time.. & know you're heading in the right direction! Also know that there is a stranger up in Canada rooting for you! Congratulations on deciding to make a change!