The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Fentanyl For Surgery, Suboxone Meintenance

Slickwitit

Greenlighter
I have been struggling with a lot of pain due to 4 wisdom teeth and 3 other teeth right next to the wisdom teeth. After months of waiting I am finally going to be gettin them cut out in about 5 days. My suboxone doctor sent the surgeon a note stating that I will be needing fentanyl during surgery and potentially after as well, limited to 3 days post-surgery. But, I have encountered in the past that my insurance needs a pre-authorization whenever I am prescribed an opiate/opioid whilst on suboxone. Which tends to take anywhere from 2-7 Days. And with the kind of insurance I have, it disenables me from paying cash as well. I have a great job now and I absolutely cannot afford to miss anymore days from these teeth. I am nervous that Im going to be in a lot of pain. And, then when I try to relieve it as by doctors orders, I wont be able to due to my insurance company. What can i possibly due? My doctor also told me to stop taking my suboxone the day before the surgery, and to not take it those 3 days after if they give me something for the pain. I am on 2mg/day currently. And the suboxone has really done very little for my pain in the past.

I would talk with somebody from your insurance company and ask them how you would go about getting preauthorized for the pain medicine. That sounds like a hassle and they ought to be able to tell you step by step what to do. I've never heard of being not able to pay cash if insurance won't pay either.

@T.Calderone; It is definitely a big hassle! I?ve been clean and on suboxone for over one and a half years. I left my old hell of a life of using behind, and never looked back. But, it always seems to come back and rear it?s ugly face in these situations. My surgery is tomorrow. And now, my sub doctor recommends that I ?simply? just take my suboxone dose as prescribed to help with the pain. ?Remember, it is an opiate. And, if you just remember that it is one, it should help with your pain.? So basically, she wants me to placebo myself. Ha. From my understanding, Buprenorphine, CAN be used to treat moderate pain, but only at a very low dose. Far away from what I?m prescribed. I honestly think I?m going to give my insurance company a call, and see what I need to do to get pre-authorized. And get whatever the surgeon recommends post-surgery. But, I will see if the suboxone and it?s magical placebo effects end up working for me. If not, I?ll just take whatever I get from the surgeon. This is just another huge reminder that, even in sobriety, life isn?t the same as pre-addiction. Maybe one day it will be though!

Also, as far as the not being able to pay cash goes. I believe it has to do with the fact that I?m on State funded insurance. My job offers an insurance plan, but from my understanding, it isn?t very good for people who have prescriptions, or have frequent doctor appointments. And there?s no way I could afford to pay for the suboxone, The appointments, AND the 5 hour drive there and back every single month. So from my understanding, my insurance looks at it as, if your on Medical Assistance, you shouldn?t be physically able to pay cash for your prescriptions. Kind of dumb. But, I get it I guess.