Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Permanent consciousness shift

pluto1998

Greenlighter
Hello,

So wondering what sort of permanent changes yall have experienced. I am not talking about typical hppd symptoms. I'm thinking bigger, like an awakening, I guess.
I think consciousness shift is what I am looking for because although I am very interested in any and all responses, I am looking for something specific for a reason that I will not get into.
So ya any sort of awakened state or higher consciousness....but more specifically something like a consciousness shift...

Thank you

I've had a significant consciousness shift over the years as a result of psychedelics. I mean, part of it happened all in one moment, because when I tripped my first time, I had the most profound experience of my life, it felt like I woke up from life and remembered that I'm everything and it's happening in this one eternal moment, and it was so silly how I had forgotten that, it was more real than anything, I saw the structure of the universe expanding out and out and becoming an atom or an electron in some infinitely larger scale. In a way it changed my life and the way I think forever, in a big-picture way... I realigned my overall way of viewing reality which colored (and colors) many aspects of my life and my daily experience. That first trip changed a lot for me, but it didn't change my behavior or give me any discipline towards actually facilitating real change in my life.

Over time, I've continued to use psychedelics, at times heavily, but for the last few years it's been a healthy rate of usage, probably on average once a month, more in the summer and less in the winter. Ever since that first trip and some that followed that were similarly paradigm-shifting, I started realizing that I was having a lot of really interesting, different, or profound ways of understanding my internal process and other people and situations. So over the years (I've been tripping for 17 years now) I've slowly accumulated what I feel is a more open and aware state... it's helped me to teach myself to think about things and be very intentional with my thoughts and actions, and how to put myself in the place of others, and how to appreciate the moment and the beauty in life in a more conscious way. There was also a time when I started using them for escapism, which was a time when they started to have a negative effect on me.

The psychedelic that has done the most to actually change my life and behaviors is ibogaine. I had worked myself over the course of my life, despite my spiritual awakening, into some circumstances that were causing me a lot of pain, including opiate addiction. I did ibogaine after 10 years of that and it seemed to work on some deeply subconscious levels to sort of snap me out of my bad patterns, again, it was like I woke up, except this time I woke up from this nightmare that my life had become and I felt like myself again, and it gave me the motivation to never touch opiates again and work on my life to improve my circumstances. Since my mind wasn't focused on negativity and stuck in trauma anymore, my internal dialogue became much more functional. Since then my life has improved very much and I just in general in life feel like I'm on an upward trajectory of becoming more intentional with and conscious of my thoughts and actions. I feel a much greater sense of personal power than I used to, in terms of what I believe it is possible for me to accomplish.

So, overall, I would say that psychedelics have changed me significantly, or rather, they've helped me to change myself, except for that first peak experience, that felt like I was given a glimpse behind the curtain while I was not expecting it whatsoever. Most of the changes are things I may well have arrived at anyway without psychedelics as I got older. But I don't think my life would be the same without having gotten that glimpse in the first place. And also ibogaine was like a personality reset sort of, I certainly could have gotten back to myself but when I took it I was at the end of my rope, I wanted to die I was suffering so much. And I came out of it feeling like anything was possible and like that life I had been living a week before was just a bad dream. That really blows my mind, that's a consciousness shift. It hasn't gone away, either, and it's been over 4 years.

It all comes in waves IME. The Way of your life is yours to discover.

I think feeling your consciousness shift is a direct sign that you are paying attention to the subtlety of your contents.
But feeling the change may only be a beginning. The energy that you might feel is your energy, but not yours to control, rather it is You.

Living beings are like knots on an energy grid of the Universe - popping out to existence caused by inevitability of energy expression, burn for a little, gather an experience and then taking another form. That how I see our reality.:p

A lot of times in life I would feel like I'm close to some kind of Great Mystery revelation and then soon enough will find myself feeling flat, like Im walking on an endless plato of daily routine and repetition.
But life is fun that way that it's never the same, every day everything is new, if only you care to notice. ;)

In relation to psychedelics, they are powerful great tools and catalysts to aid self-discovery and align (or misalign) with your true self. But they can easily turn into a temporary self-delusional escape means until they bite you with a "bad trip" for indulging too much, just as Xorkoth had mentioned earlier.

Everything that is left in our memory shapes our personality, our habits, our ego, our actions. All that contributes to the greater knowledge and DNA evolutionary memory IMO. Nothing lasts but nothing is lost. :)

Maybe this thread fits better in Philosophy & Spirituality?

For me, psychedelics are a personal litmus tester.
Before making major decisions, I like to review my sober decision while immersed in the time distorted psychedelic world.
After having commitments and fulfilling them, I like to review the context while enhanced psychedelically as well.
If things are not good for both me and my psychedelic self, then I have to find a way to make them better.

Driving has always been a sore spot in my life. I cannot litmus test it.
One Day I will either have a chauffeur or a self driving vehicle.

I guess to clarify a little....

So, with the first dude it seems like it changed the way he thinks about the world, but I do not think his consciousness has literally been changed permanently.

It all comes in waves IME. The Way of your life is yours to discover.

I think feeling your consciousness shift is a direct sign that you are paying attention to the subtlety of your contents.
But feeling the change may only be a beginning. The energy that you might feel is your energy, but not yours to control, rather it is You.

interesting

I guess to clarify a little....

So, with the first dude it seems like it changed the way he thinks about the world, but I do not think his consciousness has literally been changed permanently.

Can you give me an example of sort of consciousness shift you mean? I've taken aspects of those ineffable states from being deep in a psychedelic experience, and applied them to my everyday awareness, which helps me as a person. To me, that's a permanent shift in my conscious experience, it doesn't go away when I don't trip, it's part of who I am. But maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

I'm right with Xorkoth at that point.

I have always thought that drugs can not change anyone radically, one is who he is. Drugs scratch the qualities of people, but they are not a magic barita capable of performing miracles.

In my case, drugs have helped me to be more honest with myself, to value life in a deeper way and to meditate on death from another point of view.
In fact, thanks to my first psychedelic experiences I began to flirt with art; to write, to paint and play the piano. After 10 years I still enjoy these tasks. The drugs have changed me in a positive way, but evidently I'm still the same, if that makes any sense.

I appreciate my psychedelic travels, above all because of the dense radiance they leave in me, and not so much for the 6h-8h immersive journey where my whole world explodes in all directions. What I really appreciate about all this is what accompanies me later when I face my soberly life. No doubt some trips have preconfigured my mind in a way that there is no turning back, simply one can not give up what he has learned.

DocLad

Last edited:
they kind of add a dimension - depends on your make up if that helps in your life or not.
after a long hiatus, that dimension can be forgotten or it is transformed into something else.

How you perceive the world is very much a function of how much you understand about it... psychedelics can, to quote my dad, who has explored consciousness to the most insane depths through meditation and total absitance from drugs, get you: "Answers to questions you don't understand". The questions are coming, but it takes time. I'm always shocked buy how young people are on these forums... don't expect much understanding until you hit your late 20's. There's this weird idea that we become adults at 18 or 21, yet we still have SO much to learn at that age, and still have leftovers of that false sense of "I know everything" that you see so strongly in those below 19 or so. You'll find your questions if you keep looking :)

Well, I'm more productive these days, doing the daily chores (that used to be tedious) comes effortlessly now.

You know, when you go through ego death you get this new 'model experience', that you can use to contrast with your everyday problems, and in my case, it made them trivial.

Interestingly a major lesson I learned through psychedelics is that there IS no "higher state of consciousness". Consciousness is merely being awake and aware, receiving and interpreting stimulus. You would interpret a given stimulus radically different while on psychedelics compared to being sober, however that drug induced interpretation is no more real, correct, or "higher" than a sober interpretation. Through psychedelics I have learned that "reality" is not objective, but rather is completely malleable depending on your state of mind. It's the old mantra "perception is reality".

Now, if you're using the word consciousness to describe one's viewpoints and attitudes then I would say that psychedelics have had a radical effect on me in that department. I've realized how artificial my own identity is, and no longer care what labels others place on me. I tend to challenge the consensus of general society more, evaluating things on a fundamental level rather than letting societal labels of "good", "bad", "gross", "cool" influence my interpretations of things. I am more empathetic of others. And finally, I have come to cherish my existence more. I view my life as a precious gift, my sole opportunity to experience in all forms. Joy, sorrow, fear, shame. It is a gift to be able to have the chance to experience all of these things and I now constantly look for opportunities to experience new sensations, as I only have a limited time here on earth to do so.

I want to conclude by saying that when I first took LSD, I expected to ascend to some "higher level of consciousness" and have answers to deep cosmic questions shown to me. However, it did the exact opposite. It grounded me and made me more in touch with what exactly it means to be human, helping me remember the things I have known all along, but have become too distracted with the daily grind of life to remember.

Last edited: