Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shale

Bluelighter
Love, Simon
Movie Blurb by Shale
March 20, 2018

love-s.jpg

This movie was a must-see for me because of the subject matter of a gay youth in high school struggling with coming out. Also, it starred the very attractive 23-year-old Nick Robinson as the titular character. He is the young man I first noticed in Jurassic World (2015) and again in Everything, Everything (2017) when he played the young love interest with Amandla Stenberg as an interracial couple that was not shown to be an issue by them or anyone else in the movie. I love these matter-of-fact deviations from the norm.

However, this movie is all about the fear of young ppl who realize their sexuality is not the norm and even in these more accepting times, are hesitant to make that known to their family and friends.

Simon Spier (Robinson) is a likeable, friendly guy with his small group of friends, longtime BFF Leah Burke (Katherine Langford), recent friend Abby Suso (Alexandra Shipp) and Nick Eisner (Jorge Lendeborg Jr.) and the four of them drive to school in Nick's car.

Simon & BFF Sleepover
trailer-love-simon-800x410.jpg.imgw.1280.1280.jpeg

His family seems progressive as well, with his mother Emily (Jennifer Garner) being a psychologist and his father Jack being Josh Duhamel . (This movie is full of eye-candy)

love-simon1.jpg

Leah calls Nick one evening to tell about one of their schoolmates who posted a cryptic message on the school BB that he was gay, signing himself only as "Blue." Nick secretly opens a Gmail account as "Jacques" and contacts him. The two closeted gay guys form an online friendship in their common problem, giving reassurance and support to each other.

Nick is curious as to the identity of this person who was in his midst daily at school and in his desires and assumptions there will be several false leads as to whom it is. Also, there is the mixed signals with his friends that lead to false assumptions caused by Nick, which creates conflicts. I guess normal teen stuff.

Simon in School
love-simon-trailer-700x293.png

At this point I will mention one of my other favorite, high school coming of age movies Easy A (2010) which has much the same theme as this one of wrong assumptions about ppl. Even tho I like to put in my blurbs how movies affect me from my personal experience, I am totally out of this picture. Both movies show schools where everyone is connected electronically, so gossip is not just within little group enclaves but the entire student body. None of this took place when I was in high school 50 years ago. Also, any gay ppl in my class may have been suspect but would never come out. (It was still a mental illness/crime/perversion when I was a teen).

So, this openness is a problem & blessing for the kids of this century to deal with and this movie shows a majority of acceptance but also a minority of asswipes, (tRump supporters I'm sure) who get dealt with as they should.

This movie was well received by most viewers. The aggregate critics on Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 92% Fresh. Their consensus was: , "Love, Simon hits its coming-of-age beats more deftly than many entries in this well-traveled genre and represents an overdue, if not entirely successful, milestone of inclusion." And, 92% of audiences liked it, as did I. The demografic breakdown is 58% of its opening weekend audience was female and 59% was under 25. Maybe they were drawn to the cute Nick Robinson, who appears to be str8.