• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tapering down is the best way to get off opiates/opioids

CatcherInPopEfield

Greenlighter
Whether it's Rx pills or street dope, a taper is the best way to go when you want to get off the stuff.

I have successfully tapered off opiates/opioids with little to no withdrawal symptoms. Just as your body gets accustomed to large amounts of the drug, it gets accustomed to less amounts of the drug. Contrary to popular belief, opiate/opioid withdrawal CAN and HAS been deadly as it can lead to severe dehydration, seizure or heart attack (those on hydromorphone and/ or have a preexisting heart condition are at special risk for a heart attack going cold turkey).

I have been through cold turkey several times and on the last brutal CT I swore to myself I'd never go through that hell again. I managed on my own to taper down with what I had, and on other times had a family member help me by giving them what I had and having an agreed on plan. It's just simple math... doing 10 pills a day? Next day 9, 8, 7, 6... oh feeling a little crappy at 6 so 7 for a day or two and then back to 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... AND JUMP OFF!

I was truly amazed at how amazing tapering is and feel like a moron for letting myself CT so many times.

Some may not agree with my post or might be so deep into the addiction that they can't do a CT and need a maintenance program, But I am pointing out that if having no access to anything and withdrawal is a looming, then you most certainly can avoid it and have a seamless transition to no drugs with what you have IF you're a smart about it. It's just how bad do you want to avoid withdrawal? To me, the benefit of avoiding withdrawal outweighs the short lived pleasure from gobbling what I have and then being left high and dry.

By the way, off/on again user for 20 years with a monster tolerance and on the Rx stuff that makes heroin look like water, so I do speak from experience and want to give hope that you really can taper if you have the will.

Tapering does work, yes.It notoriously hard to do with short acting opioids and or street quality drugs with varying degrees of purity. If you were able to pull it off, good for you. Different strokes for different folks.