PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Uncomfortable Physical Reactions from LSD

liftcore

Greenlighter
tl;dr (But please read the entire post):
-Experienced Tripper, always respond well to drugs
-Acid all of a sudden causing anxiety, brain, ear, jaw tension and painful pins and needles, shallow breathing
-Prevents me from sleeping, require benzos
-Weed makes it worse
-Gain relief from pressure on back of head, opening jaw wide or taking massive breaths

So I have tripped LSD many many times over the past few years, alongside shrooms as well as being quite a regular weed smoker. I honestly never have any real bad drug experiences and have been able to take upwards of 800ug of LSD and 8g of shrooms and they have all been fantastic experiences.
But the last 2 times I tripped acid (300ug first time, 200ug second time) some very fucked up things have happened which forced me to go to the ER both times and I don't understand why.
Both the last times I took the LSD I would come up seemingly as always but then the following things would happen;

-I would get struck with an overwhelming anxiety
-Music would suddenly sound horrible and can't hear some frequencies, completely pitch shifted and muffled
-Breathing would become shallow, can't catch breath, unable to take deep breaths of relied
-Immense pressure in my head, ears and jaw (feels like something is pressing against my skull/brain)
-Strange flushing and "wackawackawacka" sound distortions
-Parts of my skin would get weird slightly "almost painful" pins and needle-like sensations, particularly my neck and finger tips
-Totally unable to fall asleep due to anxiety
-feels like something in my brain keeps twitching, feels exactly like the sucking "tsk tsk tsk" sound/feeling.
-extremely exacerbated by any amount of weed
-I get some kind of relief by lying on the floor putting the back of my head on a foam roller, or if I shuttle water through my nose and take some deep breaths in (but then it feels like my sinus just presses down and closes again). Opening my jaw as wide as I can helps too but barely.

Both times I ended up being given benzos which would nullify the effects and allow me to sleep, but the 2nd time I actually had one TINY hit of weed after having the benzos and it completely made the benzos wear off and made the negative feelings come again which made me drive all the way back to the ER to get another one so I could sleep.

I have never had any such reactions to LSD before and always smoked heaps of weed on acid and handled it fine. Now I feel I should mention that the 2nd trip was 3 weeks apart from the 1st trip, and the 1st trip was 5 days after a 50mg MDMA roll. That M roll was 3 days after a 40mg 4-aco trip, and that 4aco trip was 5 days after a 300ug 100mg candyflip.

Now my automatic suspicion is that basically my brain needs a break and probably can't handle psychs atm. But I want to know specifically what is going on and if that is really the reason. I have done LSD trips 1 week a part in the past and have been fine, and I have done LSD a week after a candyflip in the past and been fine. Can anybody explain what is going on?

I don't plan to trip again for at least a few months but I am really apprehensive to even try lsd again because getting benzos here is hard and I don't want to deal with those sensations again, they really are quite torturous.

Maybe impurities like all those inactive lsd isomers or something else in the tabs? Just maybe. How well do you know what exactly you took?

you are dosing too high for your own constitution.
Also
weed is an incredibly strong psychedelic and can, on its own, with no other psychedelic in your system, induce tension and cramps as well as full blown hallucination or OEV.

in moderation lsd and weed combine well.

Also

your tolerance profile will change as you age,
so even if you know the doses of your tabs (which is unlikely); with each sheet or stash of tabs, you need to start with a low dosage and titrate up and re-discover your sweet spot with this stash.

Are you sure you're taking LSD? Forgive the novice question but you never really know nowadays, when I take any of the 25x series I get bad physical side effects that you've just explain. Also, as stated above, weed varies wildly from person to person, even trip to trip for the same person. It can really mellow you out or just throw you for a loop. Your recent track record shows, as you said, quite heavy psychedelic use here recently. I agree with your decision to postpone usage for a few months and, if you do plan to venture off again, cut your dosage. Maybe 100-150 mics as a re-entry and see where it goes from there. Even then keep in mind that it's highly unlikely for your tabs too be spot on dosed; for the most part people are guessing their dosage based off heresay.

I took 1P LSD. I assume we can't mention vendors here but I will say it wasn't from a darknet site so you can just take a guess. I did test it anyway so it definitely was 1P LSD. I have eaten from this vendor in the past and even from this batch, as have my friends and they have all been great trips, but yes I did read that a lot of these side effects were common in 25i experiences. I did consider impurities to be a factor but these reactions only happened the last 2 times I tripped and haven't impacted me or or my friends in this way previously. Also to me 300ug of 1P isn't a huge dose. When I look to trip heavy I usually sit at the 450-600ug mark.

Regardless, after heavy reading I have come to the likely conclusion that it is MDMA has somehow messed me up. Even as I sit here sober I still have sinus pressure, jaw tension, stiff neck/shoulders, although it is progressively getting better. I am certain it is the MDMA because in the past I have done shroom trips/lsd trips close together and the worst reaction I ever got was minor loss of magic. Yet all of a sudden when I try to do psychedelics after my short lived bout of having done MDMA I get these issues. I think there is not much I can really do apart from have a long break, maximize my health through diet and supplements and hope that next time I try to trip this stuff is all gone. I definitely will not be taking MDMA again in this lifetime. Not worth it.

Seems weird that those symptoms arent the usual for you. I get tingly when high but not painful. The jaw thing might be a little normal if its in your head and you keep thinking my jaw feels weird its gonna feel weird. Anxiety is very common on most drugs I tend to dose before going out due to anxiety on the come up crowded areas or uncomfortable places just is too much. If I dose prior ill be fine and have a great time in most situations I get into. Insomnia is super common also I know people who cannot sleep call it impossible. I find it hard too if im up I wont go to sleep unless I try. I like to lie in bed and follow the CEV's try to make scenarios and eventually it will all be a dream. Most the time I take benzos occasionally GHB if I need to sleep while high.

So most of what you described seemed pretty common. It honestly sounds like maybe you where to focused on your self? I dont like to trip alone or like in my house not doing shit unless I got some prime movies ready. Thats due to me getting too much in my head ill think too much want to do too much but cramped to my house and my thoughts usually just leads to me bored and tripping my self out. If I am doing stuff while high I am more in the now and too busy to be focused on my self thinking about that tingly sensation or my jaw feeling weird.

so because of that this relatively high dose cannot give u a bad trip? bullshit

you took too much and had a freakout

happens to everyone at some point

Except that I have taken 300-400ug upwards of 8 times, 600ug twice and 1000ug once (between LSD-25 and 1PLSD) and have not even come close to the discomfort I had on the last 2 trips. I mean the 2nd trip was 200ug and the exact same thing happened as the 300ug one. I have had challenging trips before where I thought I had lost my mind and i was going to stay crazy forever, but those were all nothing compared to this. This had nothing to do with my mental state or the dose, everything negative was completely physical related to near-painful physical sensations. Plus this happened two times in a row, exactly the same way, only after using MDMA.

Seems weird that those symptoms arent the usual for you. I get tingly when high but not painful. The jaw thing might be a little normal if its in your head and you keep thinking my jaw feels weird its gonna feel weird. Anxiety is very common on most drugs I tend to dose before going out due to anxiety on the come up crowded areas or uncomfortable places just is too much. If I dose prior ill be fine and have a great time in most situations I get into. Insomnia is super common also I know people who cannot sleep call it impossible. I find it hard too if im up I wont go to sleep unless I try. I like to lie in bed and follow the CEV's try to make scenarios and eventually it will all be a dream. Most the time I take benzos occasionally GHB if I need to sleep while high.

So most of what you described seemed pretty common. It honestly sounds like maybe you where to focused on your self? I dont like to trip alone or like in my house not doing shit unless I got some prime movies ready. Thats due to me getting too much in my head ill think too much want to do too much but cramped to my house and my thoughts usually just leads to me bored and tripping my self out. If I am doing stuff while high I am more in the now and too busy to be focused on my self thinking about that tingly sensation or my jaw feeling weird.

I get tingly normally too. That is fine, I enjoy the feeling and it always goes away after the come up, but this was deeply uncomfortable and did not go away. I don't ever get anxiety on any drugs. I have never gotten anxiety past the 1hr mark on any psychedelic, I don't get anxiety from any strains of weed by itself nor combined with psychedelics. I have never suffered from insomnia from any drugs and this wasn't insomnia. I actually kept almost falling asleep but a severe head twitch would jolt me back up, followed by some more painful tingling and a wave of mild anxiety. I personally have the best trips when i am alone because I trip solely for the express purpose of analyzing music. I don't like tripping with anyone other than my brother or GF because most of my friends have terrible music taste and frankly I find tripping with others annoying. Most of my past challenging trips have been due to other people interfering with my "flow", so I am definitely in my comfort zone being alone.

Guys I don't want to sound like some egotistical cunt and I do appreciate the help but I feel like I need to really stress that I am no beginner when it comes to psychedelics. I am well aware of what one is supposed to feel on psychedelics across all levels of the trip intensity spectrum. I know what a "bad trip" is meant to feel like. I know what it is like to overcome a "bad" trip as I have done it many times before, and not with too much difficulty. This was not that, and it just seems too strange that I have done psychedelics at various doses many many times in the past totally fine, yet 2 trips in a row post MDMA usage and the exact same specific things happen to me.

Regardless, after heavy reading I have come to the likely conclusion that it is MDMA has somehow messed me up. Even as I sit here sober I still have sinus pressure, jaw tension, stiff neck/shoulders, although it is progressively getting better. I am certain it is the MDMA because in the past I have done shroom trips/lsd trips close together and the worst reaction I ever got was minor loss of magic. Yet all of a sudden when I try to do psychedelics after my short lived bout of having done MDMA I get these issues. I think there is not much I can really do apart from have a long break, maximize my health through diet and supplements and hope that next time I try to trip this stuff is all gone. I definitely will not be taking MDMA again in this lifetime. Not worth it.
There are numerous odd physical symptoms, seemingly related to the cranial nerves, that can occasionally arise with MDMA. The most well known of which are "brain zaps", which have very little to do with the brain itself and everything to do with the cranial nerves. What you describe when falling asleep, we hear about that in past abusers of MDMA but its difficult to tell whether you're describing a bit of a brain zap or just a hypnagogic jerk, the latter being perfectly normal. However, brain zaps tend to occur with movements of the head/neck.

Some of the things to consider are that these various drugs have potent effects on vasculature and cranial nerves. Vasoconstriction with psychedelics is well known, and can result in many symptoms. Death by e.g nbome overdose is seemingly always due to cerebral vasoconstriction.

The cranial nerves/arteries are very finnicky - you may want to correct your posture with the help of a medical professional/physical therapist if you have "forward head posture". See cervical retraction exercises if you do have postural issues.

CY

This was not that, and it just seems too strange that I have done psychedelics at various doses many many times in the past totally fine, yet 2 trips in a row post MDMA usage and the exact same specific things happen to me.
Psychedelics are unpredictable like that sometimes. My average dose when I trip is 3-500 mics, give or take how I'm feeling the day of; not too long ago I was at the house by myself and decided to have a solo trip. Just a simple 150ug of ETH LAD. Turns out that ETH was either laid incorrectly (a possibility you could look at, as most blotters aren't dosed evenly tab to tab, even the ones that come from the clearnet vendors), or i just forced the trip and it went south. Im like you, i have a vast psychedelic knowledge and have taken an unreasonable amount of different mind altering substances. I tend to think of myself as a 'psychedelic professional' of sorts, but this one tab really kicked my ass. Just shy of an hour in I got that dread feeling in the pit of my stomach for no reason that I refer to as the 'impending doom' feeling when you know a trips going south. I tried everything I could, threw up, took a shower, changed scenery. And nothing I did shook this anxiety filled feeling. I feel that if you partake enough, eventually you'll have these difficult journeys. It's just a part of Psyches. As for the second trip it's a possibility the thoughts from the first still lingered and brought back that same feeling of anxiety.

I think some people up here advocate for psychedelics too hard, as in my experience and many others people experience extreme anxiety after continuous LSD use. As with long term affects like HPPD, I'm sure this is temporary, just stick It out. Keep away from all drugs, exercise regularly, eat right, and get some sleep. Hope you feel better soon!

I have had challenging trips before where I thought I had lost my mind and i was going to stay crazy forever, but those were all nothing compared to this.

Dude, like everyone who has had a heavy trip in their lives has experienced this. It sounds like you just took too much or had a freakout. And you're dosing too close together.
Try and let your brain renourish itself. you're using too much stuff, too close together. That's not good. You need to replenish your mind, body and spirit.

Hi there,

Just an update. I found out what was wrong. Peripheral Neuropathy from demyelination, due to B12 deficiency likely caused by the small timeframe that I used MDMA and NOS whippets more than I should have. Looks like it became exacerbated on LSD, probably because of the stimulation to the nervous system brought on by LSD. I recently began getting the same symptoms I did on the day I "freaked out", but on a smaller scale and am currently working towards (hopefully) reversing the damage by abstaining from drugs, improving diet, high intake of b12. It is slowly but surely getting better, I have even managed to stop relying on diazepam for sleep. This has been eating away at me for over a month now and I'm glad I finally got to the bottom of it on my own (no thanks to the various useless GP's that I saw).

I would like to extend a special thanks to Cotcha Yankinov. I probably wouldn't have been able to figure out this was the issue if it weren't for some of the detailed posts you had made in the past on some other threads. I don't know you my man, but you may have indirectly saved my life. Thanks to everyone else for your suggestions and opinions. Never touching Nitrous Oxide or MDMA again. Peace.

Time for a vacation from psychs. I, too, once considered myself to be a "professional tripper", but alas, I went to the well, long ago, a few dozen too many times, and paid a price for it. I remember that there were times when I was doing so much L, and having so many side-effects, that anticipating these side effects was bad enough that I would have the tabs sitting on the counter, ready to go, but it would take me sometimes 1/2 hour or an hour to take them. Mind you, at the time, I thought I was doomed to drive myself "crazy" with all the psych abuse I was engaging in, and literally set the stage for some really bad trips. I remember one time, in particular, that I had been dosing multiple times weekly, and on this occasion, was tripping for a second day, with a double dose. I would say overall, day 2 involved between 700ug and 1mg, generally speaking. Well, that trip turned into a mindfuck of epic proportion, and I recall vowing to never trip again. I recall seeing "visions" of what I considered the worst, most atrocious things, and feeling like I was "in hell" for many hours. But I digress...

That was toward the end of my initial tripping "career". I took a break for over ten years before doing it again, and now, it is only on occasion and much more manageable and enjoyable. Too much LSD is a bad thing, not that it's a revelation to say so, especially for those that know where I am coming from.

Maybe you said, but is this batch some of the same you have used in the past or new stuff?
If it is new stuff i'd lean toward the batch and try some new...?

-I would get struck with an overwhelming anxiety
-Music would suddenly sound horrible and can't hear some frequencies, completely pitch shifted and muffled
-Breathing would become shallow, can't catch breath, unable to take deep breaths of relied
-Immense pressure in my head, ears and jaw (feels like something is pressing against my skull/brain)
-Strange flushing and "wackawackawacka" sound distortions
-Parts of my skin would get weird slightly "almost painful" pins and needle-like sensations, particularly my neck and finger tips
-Totally unable to fall asleep due to anxiety
-feels like something in my brain keeps twitching, feels exactly like the sucking "tsk tsk tsk" sound/feeling.
-extremely exacerbated by any amount of weed
-I get some kind of relief by lying on the floor putting the back of my head on a foam roller, or if I shuttle water through my nose and take some deep breaths in (but then it feels like my sinus just presses down and closes again). Opening my jaw as wide as I can helps too but barely.

Have you considered the possibility that this could be LSD induced/awakened hypersensitivity to microwave radiation or similar electromagnetic pollution which abounds these days? Have they started rolling out 5G near where you live?
Many if not all of the symptoms you describe, headaches, inability to sleep, tingly feelings are totally consistent with microwave sensitivity.

Have you considered the possibility that this could be LSD induced/awakened hypersensitivity to microwave radiation or similar electromagnetic pollution which abounds these days? Have they started rolling out 5G near where you live?
Many if not all of the symptoms you describe, headaches, inability to sleep, tingly feelings are totally consistent with microwave sensitivity.

Like Chuck from Better Call Saul? The whole point of that was to show how powerful the effects of placebo are.

So the possibility of some people being actually able to sense strong electromagnetic pulses is trumped by a piece of cunningly disguised tv entertainment propaganda. The uncomfortable reality that you are living in a sea of cancer- inducing radiation and the laptop you use is quietly cooking your gonads is too much to deal with.

So the possibility of some people being actually able to sense strong electromagnetic pulses is trumped by a piece of cunningly disguised tv entertainment propaganda. The uncomfortable reality that you are living in a sea of cancer- inducing radiation and the laptop you use is quietly cooking your gonads is too much to deal with.

Lol you are aware that the radiation that all personal electronic devices emit is non-ionizing? Meaning there is not sufficient energy within each wave of the radiation to cause any measurable harm. You literally get more harmful radiation out of eating a single banana than basking in the EM waves of your laptop indefinitely. If you've got a CRT monitor then you're talking something measurable, you get about 1 micro-sievert of radiation from using a CRT monitor for a year. Average yearly background dose is around 4 milli-sieverts, about 85% of which comes from natural sources.

Hey guys it was literally b12 deficiency and folate deficiency I had a full blood panel done. My active b12 was low, had pernicious anemia and this lead to demyelination. Was likely underlying due to poor diet for some time and because 10 fold from MDMA and NOS overuse. I am supplementing and also taking b12 shots now should get better in no longer than a month. This very certainly didn't have anything to do with LSD, I am not prone to any psychological issues and I have never even come close to any negative mental issues from psychedelics, and frankly unless I get into a car crash or my girlfriend gets blown up by ISIS I don't think I'm ever really going to get any negative mental issues from acid. I'm pretty stable, rather rational and have good mental fortitude. This was entirely a physiological thing completely unrelated to LSD, but exacerbated by LSD at the time.

I plan to take 300mcg ETH-LAD in about 2 months time after a follow up blood test :) Excited to get back on the triptrain with a content mind.