• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Questions regarding the future legality of Kratom (us?)

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Kratom/lope has been a lifesaver for me kicking off nasty pills I somehow constantly return to, yet I've heard that the US government fully intends to ban the substance (just not sure when).

I'm sure the pharmaceutical industry wouldn't dare lose its profits and is resorting to destroying a withdrawal savior for many through the spreading of false information and fear-mongering. As far as I know no one has died from kratom use, and cases where people died with kratom in their system were unreliable to document due to other drugs also discovered in their system at the time. (benzos, alcohol, etc).

Is there anything anyone can really do about preserving the legality of kratom??? :X

PS: What strain feels mostly like opiates to you?!

Big Brother is always gonna put a stop to a substance if it makes people feel good, until they figure out how to tax and regulate it that is... On one hand I think used in the right way Kratom could be a lifesaving thing to alot of people, but I've also witnessed friends take it to far and have horrible WD's from it, it's not as safe and sound as most say it is, but I stand by it

Big Brother is always gonna put a stop to a substance if it makes people feel good, until they figure out how to tax and regulate it that is... On one hand I think used in the right way Kratom could be a lifesaving thing to alot of people, but I've also witnessed friends take it to far and have horrible WD's from it, it's not as safe and sound as most say it is, but I stand by it

As someone whose had a demon for percs/oxys I can't imagine kratom being as destructive socially or financially, but I could be wrong. Opiates consume your life, where kratom I could just walk away from freely.

I walked away from it no problem also, but it sticks too some people like glue. There was a guy who hung around the store that was having seizures without. I think its probly along the same lines as that legal weed crap. People are putting so many chemicals into it that you end up poisoned

As someone whose had a demon for percs/oxys I can't imagine kratom being as destructive socially or financially, but I could be wrong. Opiates consume your life, where kratom I could just walk away from freely.

Plenty of people have, unfortunately, still managed to get addicted to kratom, to the point where they were taking in excess of an ounce per day.
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/244946-Kratom-addiction

Remember, kratom use in general is still a relatively new thing to most in the West, and while, yes, kratom addiction is far less of a concern than oxycodone addiction, that's not saying much given how pretty much anything (except maybe heroin, fentanyl and oxymorphone) pales next to oxy.

Should kratom be legal? Sure, it does offer tremendous therapeutic potential, both as a painkiller and a cessation aid for opioid addiction.
Should it be completely unregulated, with another pound being just a click away? Probably not. At the end of the day, it is still an opioid, and from what I've read it has an abuse liability similar to some of the other "milder" opioids like codeine/dihydrocodeine/tramadol, and as such probably deserves to be classed in schedule III or IV.

I guess an optimal solution would be for doctors who already prescribe medical marijuana to be trained in prescribing kratom, but I'm not sure the MM sector would want to be associated with anything that smells of an opioid in the Jeff Sessions era (hey, maybe that is the solution: get Trump to fire Sessions and replace him with some pro-drug libertarian silicon valley bro ;) ). Or you could have some pharm company do an extraction and come up with an ideal ratio of mitragynine:hydroxymitragynine to make the product patentable (think Shire getting a patent for Adderall by coming up with the "perfect" blend of amphetamine salts, despite amphetamine already being on the market for over half a century by that point), but that would, of course, take time, and the product would be ridiculously overpriced :(.

Hit up the American Kratom Association and donate $25 a month. Big pharma/FDA spends millions on Washington lobbyists trying to get kratom banned. The aka hires their own lobbyists but are not funded by our corrupt government. Thanks to them and all of us who reached out to senators my state just passed a bill to ban several things which originally included kratom. They ended up passing the bill with but removed kratom from the list. A very nice, moderate, victory. I still think the FDA is going to fuck us with more lies and just circumvent our democratic process. The AKA can use all the help they get as the opposition has bottomless pockets. Also, don?t buy from shady vendors or any site that make any medical claims.

Last edited:
Kratom has been used for 1000s of years. So why the fuck should I need a script for tree leaves? Just because our corrupted government set the standard by making weed illegal. Yes, it is addictive and yes there are mild withdrawals but anything that can be used medicinally in it’s natural form should not be under the government’s control. The only possible good thing would be quality control All though I almost guarantee quality would drop due to mass processing or the prices would rise. Not to mention I’ve never had bad kratom since 2011(so never?) From what I can tell the Indonesian people keep things straight on their side as it is some of their livelihoods. So as long as you stay away from shady vendors you don’t seem to need the government to assure the quality of your tree leafs. The way they are rolling back emission standards here in the states I’m becoming more concerned with the quality of the air more. Than anything. Might just have to move to Borneo and start a plantation��

Last edited:
The way they are rolling back emission standards here in the states I?m becoming more concerned with the quality of the air more. Than anything. Might just have to move to Borneo and start a plantation��

I would really, really, advise against doing that, if you value your air quality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_issues_in_Indonesia

Back in 1997, Slash-and-burn agriculture caused such massive wildfires on Borneo that the neighboring countries of Malaysia and Singapore were blanketed with smog, and while the situation is no longer as utterly catastrophic as it was back then, the level of air pollution caused by illegal deforestation is still bad enough to cause diplomatic friction between Indonesia and Singapore.
640px-TOMS_indonesia_smog_lrg.jpg

And that's not even touching on other environmental problems that are just as bad - if not worse - than in other parts of the world, like pesticide use, municipal waste and run-off from fertilizers, industrial plants or mining operations.

I would really, really, advise against doing that, if you value your air quality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_issues_in_Indonesia

Back in 1997, Slash-and-burn agriculture caused such massive wildfires on Borneo that the neighboring countries of Malaysia and Singapore were blanketed with smog, and while the situation is no longer as utterly catastrophic as it was back then, the level of air pollution caused by illegal deforestation is still bad enough to cause diplomatic friction between Indonesia and Singapore.
640px-TOMS_indonesia_smog_lrg.jpg

And that's not even touching on other environmental problems that are just as bad - if not worse - than in other parts of the world, like pesticide use, municipal waste and run-off from fertilizers, industrial plants or mining operations.
Damn. I knew Malaysia treated as toxic waste pretty much. I know you can?t believe everything your vendor says but my main guy claims none of it is plantation grown and certain strains are picked from old trees while using sustainable harvesting techniques for all. Maybe I?m not as pro-Kratom as I thought?. Thanks for dropping that knowledge on me. With America basically getting rid of emission standards, the environment is sure to be on some shakey legs and It scares the shit outta me. at least we will have plenty of coal/factory jobs before the apocalypse(can?t find eye rolling emoji on mobile)

Last edited:
When contacting representatives be sure to be polite and to the point. Vulgarity and such will lead in the opposite direction. Just thank them for their hard work and politely let them know that they will have blood on their hands if they ban our leaf. Tell them you love you?re state and hate what the crisis has done to it?s people and if they ban it they are adding to the problem, not the solution. I preferred to make sure they all know that big pharma is behind the fda?s choices regarding the matter because they make billions off of our addiction but that part kinda makes us sounds like conspiracy theorists. Remember that some off these people are actually reasonable human beings

Last edited:
My regular online vendor isn't shipping right now and sent out an email saying that there was a "voluntary recall" having to do with salmonella found in some kratom products. Sounds fishy to me... Anyway, I ordered from another vendor who I found online and ordered what is supposed to be the same strain, but it doesn't feel at all the same! Since I'm taking a little kratom because I was almost off Suboxone and then hit a brick wall with never-ending withdrawals, I had ordered some to try to get over the withdrawals and it helped. Then I got my doctor to stop the taper but the dose is too low, but I'm not sure he's willing to increase it. So, in the meantime, I'm taking a very low dose of Suboxone, which doesn't hold me for the two days it's supposed to. On the second day I take kratom, and with the first vendor's product it has been working just fine. No precipitated withdrawal or anything like that. I got the new product a couple of days ago, and the first time I took some, it knocked my socks off. Made me quite relaxed and sleepy, actually. Since then, though, I've taken it several times and it doesn't seem to stop my withdrawals. Can there be a huge difference between vendors or is the problem within me and the unusual (and sketchy) way I'm using it? I'm close to stopping the Sub again and only taking enough kratom to help with the withdrawals. And then trying to get off the kratom. It seems like it should be much faster to kick kratom than Sub, and that was the problem the first time, the protracted withdrawals. Any thoughts?

^Wait until you’re into full blown sub w/d and the kratom will be more effective. I’m pretty sure the salmonella thing is another attempt by the FDA to circumvent the law but maybe not. kind of a lose/lose situation if I’ve ever seen one. Plenty of good vendors out there for now, I’ve had one mediocre vendor since 2011, the rest have had excellent quality/service. Just do some research and maybe check some forums that are solely dedicated to kratom(they do exsist).

I have a feeling mitragynine won't displace buprenorphine and precipitate withdrawal. If it did, can you imagine? It has a higher activity, probably, so it wouldn't be precipitating withdrawal, but inducing a high while on subutex.

Some of the more exotic kratomoids probably do have a higher affinity for the MOR, they just don't occur in enough quantity to make a difference.