• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How to make Kratom extraction the right way with Isopropyl (+ chemical questions)?

Rantanplan

Bluelighter
Hello Bluelighter,

I have some Kratom powder laying around here and I want to make an extract from it.
For that I have read many extraction manuals. After that I have chosen (and acquired) Isopropyl as the main extraction solvent.

Questions:
  • Is acid also needed really? (Because some say yes and some it is not)
    • If acid is needed in what step and how should I use it? (Because those ppl whom say yes to acid, have manly two different ways for adding the acid: Adding acid with water to Kratom (before the main extraction process) and after sitting, let the water evaporate in the oven. The other way the have is to put the acid directly into the Isopropyl.
    • If acid is needed: in which concentration should the acid be?
    • If acid is used, can I put afterwards (at some point) some Natriumcarbonate into, to reduce the acidity of the mixture?
  • Some claim to freeze the Kratom first, other say it makes no different: What is right?
  • Some claim also, that putting alcohol into the powder is hardening the cell wands. Is that right? (If it is right, why does this happen?)

Thanks for help :)

Last edited:
Kratom extracted are very complicated, which is why you rarely see good ones. I honestly think the only way you'll get a good one is to boil the leaf, filter the plant matter out, and reduce to a resin or tincture amount via heat reductionn.

Well the easiest extraction is to infuse the fine particulate source, kept immobilized by clathration in a microfiber celllulose matrix, the sole solvent being dihydrogen monoxide refluxed gently to a temperature around 350 kelvin. Let the solvent passively diffuse through through your celluslose barrier system, and back out; thermal convection should be sufficient, do not agitate too aggressively, or you risk loss of confinement.

After approximately ten minutes, and calibrated to determine optimal yield with low co-puritants, remove the spent cartridge and allow the solvent to cool. At this point, sensory enhancement may be made through supplementation with dextrose-containing products to taste.

Ok, I'm so funny. These are alkaloids, poorly soluble except in mildly acidic conditions. So you could enhance your tea yield by lowering the pH a bit, by say adding some lemon juice. Or orange. Don't like citric acid, try some apple juice. You do not need muriratic acid concrete cleaner for this, you will degrade your fragile kratomoids.

But, it would be more helpful to know what you plan to do with this stuff? Concentrate it? As a powder, or oil? Are you trying to remove a lot of non-high-granting compounds, or just mainly the cellulose and plant-bones?

Kratom extracted are very complicated, which is why you rarely see good ones. I honestly think the only way you'll get a good one is to boil the leaf, filter the plant matter out, and reduce to a resin or tincture amount via heat reductionn.
Pure water extraction is afaik the baddest variant, you have to add minimum an acid to get a fairly proper result.

Well the easiest extraction is to infuse the fine particulate source, kept immobilized by clathration in a microfiber celllulose matrix, the sole solvent being dihydrogen monoxide refluxed gently to a temperature around 350 kelvin. Let the solvent passively diffuse through through your celluslose barrier system, and back out; thermal convection should be sufficient, do not agitate too aggressively, or you risk loss of confinement.

After approximately ten minutes, and calibrated to determine optimal yield with low co-puritants, remove the spent cartridge and allow the solvent to cool. At this point, sensory enhancement may be made through supplementation with dextrose-containing products to taste.

Ok, I'm so funny. These are alkaloids, poorly soluble except in mildly acidic conditions. So you could enhance your tea yield by lowering the pH a bit, by say adding some lemon juice. Or orange. Don't like citric acid, try some apple juice. You do not need muriratic acid concrete cleaner for this, you will degrade your fragile kratomoids.

But, it would be more helpful to know what you plan to do with this stuff? Concentrate it? As a powder, or oil? Are you trying to remove a lot of non-high-granting compounds, or just mainly the cellulose and plant-bones?
Well, I am considering, under certain circumstances, may be to eat it :) I think the result of extraction process would be some kind of powder mainly to get rid of the cellulose (plant bones do not exist in that way, because the Kratom I have is in fine grinded powder form.)

It's fairly straight forward with powder, pour very hot water with a teaspoon/ tablespoon of a citrus juice through the powder in a coffee filter or tight mesh sieve , cycle the water back through the mash a few times, let cool, viola.
Even letting the soaked powder fall to the bottom of the cup after thorough stirring will work if you can tolerate a gritty cup of goodness.

Gelatin pill halves and a packing jig are cheap and easy to use as well. Google is your friend

I?ve tried plain isopropyl extractions on kratom, it yields an inactive blob of tar. Acids are a must

It's fairly straight forward with powder, pour very hot water with a teaspoon/ tablespoon of a citrus juice through the powder in a coffee filter or tight mesh sieve , cycle the water back through the mash a few times, let cool, viola.
Even letting the soaked powder fall to the bottom of the cup after thorough stirring will work if you can tolerate a gritty cup of goodness.

Gelatin pill halves and a packing jig are cheap and easy to use as well. Google is your friend

Thanks, but I have read, that an alcohol extraction is more effective than an water/acid extraction. One/two years ago I also read an published PDF form some scientist who tried to find the best alcohol/water percentage. I think they suggested to use 40%. But unfortunately I could not find this PDF in the net atm.

I?ve tried plain isopropyl extractions on kratom, it yields an inactive blob of tar. Acids are a must
You mean I have to add acid first? But inactive? What happend?

If you can, add the acid to the alcohol first and stir thoroughly, then add to powder. Muriatic does seem excessive for something like Mytraginine, Scrof's suggestion of citric sounds much better. If you want to heat the solution, use a hot water bath and a glass jar; Heating alcohol is risky business. 20 min should be enough.

Here's a whole thread on that: -Kratom-alcohol-extraction-tea-question

Last edited:
When i was making kratom tea everyday i would add about 30ml of lemon juice 20ml of 80 proof rum and 400ml of water (complete guesstimates, i never actually measured) then double boil the mixture on a slow boil for about 20 minutes. This would yield a very strong and bitter brew.

When i preformed a regular isopropyl extraction on kratom powder it left me with a blob of tar, when ingested the tar had little to no psychoactive effects. Citric acid is a good acid to use for someone with no chemistry knowledge since it?s food safe and does the job quite well.

Please don't use muriatic acid (35% HCl) with solvents (or water). Nothing in all of botany needs conditions that acidic to be extracted*, and you'll wind up destroying your compounds even if you don't spill or start a reaction. Mitragynine is rather fragile in low pH is my understanding.

There's two reasons for it: you either want the barest of acids to keep mitragynine et al. soluble in water, retaining the water fraction; or as the second step in an alkaloid extraction, and then it's just to keep liquid volumes low.

It's also not the indole nitrogen that's gonna be involved, but the second one, the quinolizidine nitrogen. You'd do the extraction under basic conditions in isopropanol or ethanol.

pKa of that nitrogen will be above 9, so there's no need for strong acids later. If you add strong acids early, you'll just start hydrolyzing your mitragynine and degrade it.

*Cue several trivia answers, I'm sure, like IDK, salicylates from willow bark or something.

Last edited:
You can use muratic acid in DMT extractions, but I recommend vinager or better yet fumaric acid

I have a similar thread on ADD at the moment and Sekio shared a great article with me, but I am wanting to extract mainly mitragynine. I too am wanting a great extraction method and nothing I am finding is really catching my attention. He brought up using methylene chloride at reflux to get a crude freebase of mitragynine. Hydrolysis is a big concern of mine. I don't want to leave my compounds in a jar for over a day with water and acid and have a nasty paste with little product in it.

That's because alcohol potentiates opioids quite well.

In any case, alcohol/water extractions are pretty crappy if you want to concentrate your kratom. Even acid/base extractions. The best method I saw involves defatting leaf powder with petroleum ether and then extracting the leaves with chloroform, yielding a few (1-2) percent by weight of ~80% pure mitragynine and other alkaloids.

If you cook kratom in water (i.e. boiling for extended periods of time) you will probably destroy some of the alkaloids. Cooking it in ethyl alcohol may also convert some of the alkaloids that are methyl esters to ethyl esters which may result in a slightly different feeling.

Also, to answer OP, yes - alcohol will boil out of water, but some water will boil too. Vapour pressure and all that.