• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to quit cocaine without gaining weight

Missmae1047

Greenlighter
I've been using cocaine daily for about 4 months, and am wanting to quit soon aside from occasional weekend use. How can I stop using without gaining all my weight back? I didn't start using to try to lose weight but am happy with my weight now and my research points to it being nearly impossible not to gain a lot back once I stop using. Wondering if anyone else has any tips or research they can share with me to help keep weight off during withdrawls and cravings?

I think you are going to have to face what all of us that struggle with weight do face--and that is the simple equation of taking in less calories than you expend through normal activity plus exercise. As far as the cravings go, therein lies the struggle!8) I'm not always successful with these but my strategies are 1) distraction 2) self-talk ( I ask myself why I want to eat something if it is not because I'm hungry and if the answer is emotional discomfort or boredom I try to address those) 3) have lots of healthy, ready to eat snacks around like raw vegetables, fruit and nuts.

I faced a similar situation years ago when I stopped smoking cigarettes. Bottom line was that I knew it was far more unhealthy for me to continue smoking than it was to gain a few pounds in the transitional time. Building good eating habits is a lifelong endeavor--it doesn't happen overnight. Good luck with it and kudos to you for wanting to change your coke habits.

I wouldn't worry too much about gaining weight if you focus on healthy eating most of the time. It might be inevitable to gain a few pounds especially if you are underweight now, but this isn't worth stressing about and can be fixed.

I gained 30 pounds after I quit smoking. I'm not huge now but I miss being as lean as before. Oh well.

monk fruit-derived sweeteners have entered the Western market, where they are thought for having zero carbs and low or no calories.

Download an app like MyFitnessPal or some similar. When you set it up, you have the option of choosing whether you want to lose weight, maintain your weight, or gain weight. It asks you information like your current weight, height, activity level, etc.

If you simply want to not gain any weight back, choose the maintain your weight option. It will tell you the amount of calories you can consume each day. Whatever exercise you do, you can log that as well. If you follow this system and you're as accurate as you can be with your measurements and whatnot, this will really help you.

I would suggest buying a food scale like this one. You'll need that to get the most out of the fitness app.

Something to remember...exercise is probably the best thing you can do for your overall health, but let it take a backseat if controlling your weight is your primary concern. What I'm trying to say is: don't think you can eat whatever you want and make up for it on the treadmill. Be disciplined with your food choices and control your portions. Stay within the parameters the app gives you and you will succeed.

Go to gym daily! Works for me! You will not only keep your unwanted weight away but make your heart stronger to keep up with your drug use ;)

Go to gym daily! Works for me! You will not only keep your unwanted weight away but make your heart stronger to keep up with your drug use ;)

Exercise will not protect your body against drugs. Please do not pass along that garbage as if it is fact.