• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Love bupe but ready to taper. AMNESIA!!

Quackdoctor

Greenlighter
Hey - just to introduce myself. I'm a neuroscientist who got too personally involved with the tools of the trade...and have ended up on a bupe script since late 2016. I've slowly tapered from 10 mg to 3.2mg over the last year, but I've really been dragging my heels each time the doc mentions cutting down.

It's taken a whole year for me to realise just how much bupe affects me. So far, it's the only drug I've ever tried that hasn't seriously kicked me in the face at some point. I've spent a year telling myself that I've never had any bad effects from bupe, but actually it does give me really bad amnesia, and the brain-fog seems to be getting thicker with time, and reducing dose, rather than less.

I know bupe is a complicated drug with an unusual receptor binding profile, and I've been expecting strange things to happen as the dose gets reduced, and the drug starts affecting different receptors differently, as it's a partial agonist, and competing with endogenous ligands like enkephalins.

My GP got fed up with how much codeine I was taking a few years ago, and sent me to this drug & alcohol service (state funded) - the only thing they seem to do is prescribe bupe and methadone. Every month you get your script, and as long as you don't test positive for other opiates, cocaine or benzos, they view you as "a winner" :\

But it's time I got on with my life and started thinking of a life beyond bupe. I have kicked various other habits over the years, from methadone to diazepam, so I don't see this bupe thing as a massive obstacle.

...and one thing I've never told anyone: every single bupe tablet I've taken in the last year has gone up my nose. I know it's not advised, but it's easier than keeping the disgusting taste in your mouth for half an hour.

I guess if I'm tapering, at some point I'll need to return to the normal MOI.

Anyway, hi - and go easy on me! I'm new! ;)

Hey, Quackdoctor, welcome to Bluelight ;)

It's doable, and you can do it!

Maybe you should check out Bluelights Sober Living Sub forum, where you can get support from others who are going through the same thing.