• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Patient Rights/Confidentiality-BL community feedback

SaintCecelia

Bluelighter
A couple a weeks ago for the first time in my 47 years I ended up in the ER for mental health. I was treating my PTSD symptoms with Kratom, quit cold turkey, and WD/PTSD crisis hell broke loose. Currently back on track, treatment, and healing. However, there were major confidentiality issues that my family and I believe need to be evaluated by the hospital. I am posting this summary to get outside feedback before I send the survey back to the hospital. I am a survivor and hell cat when pushed, but no one going into a facility for help needs to be forced to survive the very thing paid to help?!!
When admitted I finally told the truth, flashbacks, and my struggle for the last year with suicidal thoughts. It was hard to watch my family but I know they were relieved. However, prior to going to the ER I called the triage nurse told her everything. She told me she would pull my file, talk to my husband, and off we went. Upon entrance to the ER there was a line. While waiting in line (which I thought was odd) two patients infront of me, receptionist looks at me said what r u here for? I live in a small community and have a senior graduating. I certainly do not need to blurt out ?oh I am in a PTSD/WD crisis and have suicidal thoughts?. So all I said was I have anxiety and sat down. Trying to hide my WD symptoms while waiting just made it worse. I thought about leaving, going to a bigger hospital but stayed. She called me up, told I had called the nurse and file was pulled, I have federal BCBS. She then ASSUMED I was a Vet and said ?you know there is a VA hospital here right?? I said I am not a Vet, then proceeded the wtf look and ?crickets?. So they triage me slap me on a bed in the hallway, people walking by, hours before I saw the doc, he did his assessment in the hallway for anyone walking by to hear, gave me meds, he handed me over to mental health. While in the hallway, mental health kept walking by never introduced herself. She finally stopped to perform a small assessment again infront of everyone, then informed me she was leaving and the next shift would handle me. Survivor kicked in, I said to the next shift bs this bs and guess what I got a room with proper treatment. While this maybe an on-going conflict, there has to be a better way. This is mild in comparison to what I?ve heard from others. I cannot help but think this is part of the stigma problem, part of why others do not seek help. So here I sit with my survey, my family angry and upset wanting their voice to be heard. Any experiences, ideas, or reflections please reply.

Yeah, unfortunately this is common when you're in a crisis situation. Maybe at a dedicated psychiatric hospital the privacy issue would have been handled better but long waits, in my experience, are the norm whether you are at the ER or a psych hospital. I understand where you're coming from, but I think you may be overthinking it. No one is at the ER because they want to be and they're probably too focused on their own problems to pay attention to what's happening to you. You did the right thing by seeking out help no matter how lacking it may have been.

I am x-medical, in fact worked in large ERs, therefore I get the long waits. I get being slapped on a bed in a hallway. But never ever have I seen patients examined, questioned infront of the public. There has to be a better way.

IMO-the ball dropped with Mental Health.

Last edited:
I believe you should fill that sucker out with complete honesty and details. I also live in a small community and seeking treatment should be extra protected in such a place! Grrrrr--this makes me so mad. Proper training would do so much to alleviate the horrors faced by people seeking mental health treatment. In this case the Mental Health unit should be offering that training to the rest of staff but sounds like they were really the ones that blew it. How could you be expected to have confidence in treatment under those circumstances? We have so far to go in this country.8(

Long wait times are pretty much the norm.

Long wait times are pretty much the norm.
Hi CJ,
the waits will always be there, but what’s been your experience if any when it comes to registration and assessment for mental health? If you rather not say I understand. I suppose I’ve been lucky in all my 47 yrs for this to be the first time my ptsd crisis ended up in the Er. But damn, this is not acceptable, especially from mental health. We are now experiencing the fall-out from funding being cut, housing our addicts/mental illness in jails and prisons. But is what I experienced typical? Or is this a product of a small community?

OldMac, I dont like this at all. They began cutting mental health funds in the late 90s. I remember studying it in my abnormal psych class in college. I want to believe that the new mental health awareness movement is the start of change. What do you think they do with the surveys I am filling out? And how many mental health patients really take the time to examine their treatment and send?

I believe you should fill that sucker out with complete honesty and details. I also live in a small community and seeking treatment should be extra protected in such a place! Grrrrr--this makes me so mad. Proper training would do so much to alleviate the horrors faced by people seeking mental health treatment. In this case the Mental Health unit should be offering that training to the rest of staff but sounds like they were really the ones that blew it. How could you be expected to have confidence in treatment under those circumstances? We have so far to go in this country.8(

FYI when the zombie apocalypse happens I want you on my team! Lol

Interestingly I did see a lady put into restraints while I was in the ER. I am not certain of the events that escalated her condition. She was yelling I won’t take meds til my daughter gets here, please don’t I am allergic call my doc. She was so scared I just wanted to hug her and tell her it’s ok, but they need your help right now to make the bad go away. But again there was no mental health in that scenario, just medical trying to do their best. What’s up with them taking forever to get there? Maybe it’s paperwork? Idk but thanks for sharing your insight.