• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzodiazepine Possible Withdrawal

applesnoranges

Greenlighter
I've been taking 2mg or less per day of xanax (not prescribed so who knows if it was cut or not) for about three months. I've done this on and off for two years now (taking maybe month breaks in between when its not available to me), but taking 2mg per day has only been the last couple of months. I want to try to cut down, addiction runs in my family and I feel if I continue down this path I will reach a place I can't turn back from. I get prescribed 30 0.5mg lorazepam a month, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about whether or using lorazepam to taper down off of xanax would help in the experience of withdrawal effects. I have panic disorder and generalized anxiety as it is, so I worry myself into panic attacks that I am going to experience seizures as a result of stopping. Basically, if I use lorazepam to taper off, am I at risk for serious withdrawal effects like seizures and paranoia? Any opinions or facts would be appreciated. Thanks!

There is no dose of benzos that definately predict if you'll have severe symptoms (seizures, psychosis, etc)
It's a good idea to reduce your dose slowly. IMO a long-acting benzo would be more useful as it stays in your body for a long time and doesn't create a sharp drop in benzo blood-levels that make you have a seizure. Lorazepam would also work, but talk to your doc about diazepam or chlordiazepoxide for example.
If you only get Lorazepam, you could slowly lower the dose by 25-50% every few weeks (how long it will take depends on how you feel).

Lorazepam has a longer duration of action than alprazolam, so it can be used as apra al substitute

Unfortuntely Xanax is twice as strong, so it takes ~2mg Ativan (Lorazepam) to equal 1mg Xanax (Alprazolam)

So 15ng Lorazepam isn’t a whole lot, it would equal roughly 7.5mg Xanax, except that it last longer than Xanax, yet has a slower onset. You really need to probably try and get 1mg Ativan, or switch to 10mg Valium ; 0.5mg Clonazepam should be considered

after 3 months, your Body is most certainly adjusted. You need to simply to simply find a dose that makes you comfortable, and then gradually wean down, at a slow - intermediate rate; I would probably go with Clonazepam, it is long acting, and potent, and you can wean to 0.25mg per day, before going back to lorazepam; even 1/8th Clonazepam could be taken-it’s high potency and binding affinity would likely make it good for alprazolam; otherwise, Ativan can be used, just be careful because of limited supply. Be careful and post back as needed

I developed a dependency on Xanax myself, originally prescribed by my Doctor for severe anxiety. With benzodiazepines the body becomes dependent on them very quickly, it only takes about a month of continuous use before you are dependent. Like yourself I had been using Xanax continually for around three months and I made the huge mistake of quitting cold turkey which led to me having multiple seizures and hospital visits (in my defence I was very young and naive) in my opinion Xanax is by far the worst benzo out there as it has such a short half life and is by far one of the strongest. I had to taper if slowly over the course of a few months. I’m not going to sugar coat it, it was hell on earth! When tapering of benzodiazepines you need to use one with a long half life, diazepam/Valium is best for this. I would also strongly advice getting some cannabis just to take the edge of also cannabis is great for preventing seizures. It’s probably one of the hardest drugs to withdraw from but it’s so worth it! I hope I have helped in some way and please feel free to message me for any advice I have a lot of evperience in helping people withdraw from benzodiazepines. P.s. this is not something you can do on your own it’s best to find an outpatient rehab or even a family member to hold on to your medications.