• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

FDA advances plan to limit/eliminate nicotine in cigarettes

∆∆
I'm a smoker and I know it's bad but I'd consider myself a considerate smoker because I don't smoke indoors or around non smokers or children
Ahh but alas I wish I could quit but I just love it too much...

The two likely scenarios have been proposed here:

1) People actually start quitting cigarettes and smoking per capita will be reduced.

2) People will start compensating the lower nicotine levels by smoking more.

In reality, it will probably be the combination of the two, and what the total outcome will be, we will only know once/if it's done. Until then we can only speculate whether the pros would outweigh the cons.

They should take out the cancer causing agents but that would reduce profit from health issues related to cigs .

What I find most interesting is how nicotine is so addictive to some but not others. My mother died from COPD and smoked to the end. My father and I were both able to just quit. If I'm not using drugs I don't smoke much at all if at all. Sometimes I still don't smoke much unless I'm using opiates. I just went from smoking a pack a day to nothing. I noticed no real perceivable WD effects per usual. I find it odd as yes some people don't like some drugs like opiates but if you have them use daily they will have WDs. I know many people like myself but many people like my mother who had such a hard time reducing even with patches etc. I think maybe its partially that I don't really enjoy short acting drugs that kill quickly plus once you have a tolerance the perceived effects are negligible. Everyone's unique but I find it odd how it normally seems one way or the other for most. Either you can't quit or its very difficult or its fairly easy and painless. There's definitely a middle ground but IMO less so than with other drugs. I smoked my first cig at something like 5. I was interested in what my mother and sometimes my father were doing and what they got from it. Began semi regularly at 13. By 16 it was pretty regular. Then by 18 I had mostly stopped. From then on the most it'd come to was when I was drinking, tripping, using opiates or all three. As long as I have two or three on those drugs during their use I don't really crave them. Its more smoke em if you got em at those points. There's been multiple points where I didn't smoke much more than a pack in an entire month if any at all. I don't know if its a difference in how nicotine works in some peoples brains or what... I'm sure that's apart of it obviously but once again with most addictive drugs its not so one way or the other. If your addicted your addicted. You may not like it as much as other drugs but your still addicted.

No I've never heard of it.
I've tried a product called Zyban and had very bad results from it

zyban is buproprion. It's a nicotinic a7 antagonist. It would likely make you feel awful from taking it, i.e. suicidal and depressed.

Chantix is a partial agonist at the nicotinic a7 receptor; this will partially but not fully activate the same receptor nicotine hits.

Read this thread; nicotine itself causes cancer.

Unless there have been recent studies that proved so, I think it's still inconclusive if nicotine causes cancer or not. Tobacco smoke contains other way more potent carcinogens such as polycyclic aromatics and nitrosamines.

Unless there have been recent studies that proved so, I think it's still inconclusive if nicotine causes cancer or not. Tobacco smoke contains other way more potent carcinogens such as polycyclic aromatics and nitrosamines.
Exactly they need to take that stuff out not worry about just the nicotine

zyban is buproprion. It's a nicotinic a7 antagonist. It would likely make you feel awful from taking it, i.e. suicidal and depressed.

Chantix is a partial agonist at the nicotinic a7 receptor; this will partially but not fully activate the same receptor nicotine hits.

Whoa there, Bupropion is an atypical antidepressant that has helped many. Usually one gets a lower dose if its for tobacco addiction, not 100% sure on that.

It makes you feel like that if you’re taking nicotine.

The member in question was/is.

Yeah I was not sure if they only give lower doses for smokers or also could give smokers 150mg +

The idea is that a sufficient enough dosage will cause precipitated withdrawal. You practically have to be able to quit smoking on your own for a whole 8, 12, maybe 24 hours (hard to say how long; I've no personal experience with nicotine dependence).

If you're able to go 8, 12 hours without a cigarette, you're not really physically dependent on them. Most people are just psychologically addicted to smoking and need another outlet or some therapy.