• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Experience with Strattera

Reezy009

Greenlighter
Experience with Strattera side effects

So I?ve had ADHD all my life but it never really bother me Bc I never really tried in highschool or anything so it didn?t effect me.i now have a job that has deadlines such as reports and I am studying for a certification . The ADHD makes it very difficult to meet these goals. I went and seen my PCP today who prescribed 40 mg of Strattera once a day for first three days then twice day aftebr. I took it right after eating lunch. About 30 minutes after taking it I became extremely dizzy. The dizziness left after about 30 minutes but the abdominal pain and nausea that followed it was so terrible that I felt totally debilitated. Has anyone else experienced this before. My PCP told
me i could be sad for a few days but nothing about this. Im
scared to report this so quickly due to him labeling me as a drug seeker. I?m kinda scared to take it again as well Bc I?m still miserable. This is my first post here so I?m sorry if I did this wrong but I really need some guidance. I?m 25.

Last edited:
Why would you be labelled a drug-seeker if you told your doctor about a horrible adverse reaction to a non-controlled substance? It's kind of important to let her know when you have debilitating nausea from a new med.

Then again, nausea is pretty common; at least according to the package insert, I've never tried it myself. Are you still miserable from being sick, or are you now feeling "miserable" as in sad? Either way it sounds like you could cut the dose to half what you were at least, it's not a dangerous drug to quit cold turkey either.

Maybe while you have her on the phone, you could bring up clonidine or guanfacine as alternatives for ADHD. They aren't controlled drugs either, and kind of do the opposite of what Straterra does.

It’s the stomach pain and naseau it’s not as severe but I still feel like I’ve been hit with a truck. I’m worried about being labeled due to the fact I’m 25 and treatment for this usually starts at a young age. He did say if this didn’t work we would try Ritalin, I just don’t want him to think I’m gunning for it

Another thing about Strattera is that it can take 4-8 weeks to reach maximum effect, not sure if you were looking to become productive before summer hits. Your doctor might not be all that biased about you wanting effective treatment at 25, as you posses more maturity now and are probably less likely to crush and snort the pills or trade with friends during High School lunch period. Expressing your concerns and issues with your doc in a straight forward manner seems to be the best course of action.

You won't look like a drug seeker for coming "late" to the Rx-stims game.

You'd have to be insisting that only high-dose dexedrine instant release could possibly work, or maybe a half gram of desoxyn daily. That your multitudes of dependent family members need the modest paycheck from this new and incredibly attention-demanding job at the Old Focus Factory and Hyperactivity Emporium of Rapid Task Juggling heavy on Classroom Learning and where HR likes to throw distractions at its workers, often in the form of busty women, just to see who can resist and Focus the most.

BUT, well, are you gunning for some methylphenidate? At 25yo its not that there's anything wrong with accepting a prescription for something that is truly therapeutic; and if you did periodically abuse them to feel good, like 99% of their users, it's not the greatest moral crime of your life, I'm sure.

Then again, why go down that road if you don't want to and don't have to?

In the end, we can't give you any doctor-patient discussion suggestions besides "be honest" anyway.

Alright guys thanks I’ll give them a call
tomorrow and see how it goes I mean honestly I want adderall my brother has ADHD and I’ve taken his before and it did wonders but I’m not gonna tell him that I’ll just go with his flow

Might not make tablets, hard to split open capsules? if you're a hyperactive kid who wishes he was no Ritalin at least.

Speaking of which, OP, it is totally legitimate and honest if you explained to your doctor that you had tried your brother's Adderall to much success. You'd have to be honest about whether that was success in your schoolwork or success in having a great Friday night. But, I mean, if a medication approved for the treatment of your complaint has been tried and worked, why wouldn't that be worth bringing up?

If it was chemo, you'd let him know all about that one that didn't make you sick after you tried it on a dare once.

The only reason you would be labeled a drug seeker is if you were seeking drugs even if for a legitimate reason,... It doesn't sound like you're presenting requesting for drugs, but requires treatment and they just happened to recommend it so it's very unlikely they would label you like that.

Take what I say and arms length as I could be wrong and don't want to be liable if that's the case. I'm just sharing my speculation.

So and update on this I went to my PCP again Monday he took one look at me and said that’s not the Med for you. He prescribed Ritalin 10mg IR twice a day. Thing is they make me sleepy and hungry which is crazy I was expecting the exact opposite of that. And when they wear off I feel like complete crud. I’m going to try this a little longer but if it’s I continue to have no luck I’m just gonna tell him I tried my brothers adderall I was able to study well without being tired and I didn’t feel
bad when it wore off. Has anyone else ever had Ritalin make them
sleepy?

He too "one look" at you? How did you look different from when he thought it was perfect for you? I mean, he saw you then, right? Really, I'd not want a guy who evaluates prescription needs for psychiatric medication based on quick glances as a doctor.

But really, you know how this stuff makes you eat and sleep after at most 24 hours on it?

If methylphenidate makes you sleepy, I posted links to a dozen threads on the topic yesterday. No reason why amphetamine would be any different.