• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bleeding ulcers from long-term Opiate use?

BeachBum4u

Bluelighter
So, I had some blood tests done recently and seem to be on the low side for red blood cells, hematocrit and one other RBC related item. My doc is having me do a fecal test for blood down there. Family members are speculating I may have bleeding ulcers since I've been on high'ish doses of opiates for decades. I don't know what could be up but they are convinced they're correct. What they don't know is that I insulfate my Oxymorphone and Oxycodone, never orally. Please leave the BA stuff on this one alone, much appreciated.

My question is that since I use my nasal passages to do the digesting of my drugs, so to speak, is it possible my stomach lining may be being spared? I know some of the medication could be sneaking down my throat but honestly I don't think much is getting down there. I also realize these drugs are very harsh and acidic and of course would have the potential to cause stomach problems. Personally though, I've never have any stomach issues from taking these drugs for 30+ years (like indigestion and heartburn etc.). Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Any opinions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

In 6 years of using I haven't experienced/seen anything like this. It could be possible that your symptoms are rather a consequence of the hard living conditions of an opioid user and not caused by consuming oxy alone. I know your family members care about you, but they aren't medical professionals. Maybe they just want to attribute all your symptoms to drug use.

FDM - For the record, I'm a CPP and that's why I've been taking opiates for so long, definitely not hard livin' although I'm not a wimp. As for your other comment about my family members attributing all my health problems to the prescription drugs I take, I believe there'd be a bit of "I told you those things are bad for you"!

In reality, I've read before (and I really wish I could find it again) where taking opiates as I take them, as prescribed, no binges, take the amount prescribed each day etc., is not inherently bad for one's health. In fact, I read where they are actually some of the safest drugs on the market. Now remember, this is assuming what I wrote above, not street heroin or IV usage or total abuse with the possibility of OD'ing with say, multiple drugs being used like opiates, alcohol and benzos (deadly combo) for instance.

Has anyone seen/read any literature on the subject? Now "that" is something I'd love to share with my high and almighty family members, who are incredibly uneducated and misinformed on the medicine I take daily. Thanks fellow BL'ers!

My understanding is that opiates are physically safe with two big exceptions.

1. Overdose
2. Constipation

As long as you are still breathing and have somewhat regular bowel movements I doubt oxy caused any serious damage.

Snorting isnt good for you though. Can cause damage to your lungs.