• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tapering of HUGE doses of Gabapentin...HELP

oneilmd

Greenlighter
So first off I'm new here, to this site, and find myself here because I've been abusing gabapentin over the course of several months. I was prescribed gaba for peripheral neuropathy pain in my feet. Currently I'm prescribed 900mgX 3 . in reality I've worked up to about 8,000 mg X 2 a day plus or minus! The total can be higher and sometimes lower, but always in that neighborhood.
Im in recovery for alcohol since 1991 and have kicked percs and tapered of subs in the past! But I'm trying now to find a taper formula so successfully kick this gabapentin abuse.

there is more to the story but this is a good start for now, if this is the wrong venue please point me to the correct place to post this, I need help BAD!

thx
oneilmd

well - take less. seriously. it's that simple. start taking 100mg off each dose and work your way down. keep a journal - if you start feeling REALLY bad, stay there and stabilize for a moment, then drop more, rinse, repeat, done. Expect it to take months.

That's correct, from everything I've read, and I used to be on Gaba for years but not nearly that high a dose, tapering is the only way to go. At the level you're on, your may be able to drop more than 100 mg at a time. If you're in no particular rush, just start cutting down, monitor your body and you'll get there. Good luck!