• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

benzos for phenibut withdrawal

BussaBussa

Greenlighter
hello bluelight,

i am sorry if this is in the wrong forum section. i browsed the different sections and was unable to locate one that i felt was perfect for my question. this was the section that made the most sense for me. if a moderator sees this and feels that this post would be better suited somewhere else, i would be greatly appreciative if this were relocated there.

anyways, ive been taking phenibut for about 2 months everyday at doses between 2-3g. i am going to stop cold turkey as i need to be off this soon and i just dont have the willpower for a taper. the only way i can stop taking phenibut is if i throw it out. after some research, it looks like benzos might be a good tool to use during phenibut withdrawal. i have experienced phenibut withdrawal before and it is pretty damn terrible. even just a 2 month daily habit can lead to some pretty gnarly withdrawals for a week. so i have a shipment of clonazolam coming. i wanted to get etiz but it is no longer legal in nc. the theory behind benzos working well for phenibut withdrawal is the benzos work on your gaba-a receptors while phenibut works primarily on your gaba-b.

any thoughts here? i would take as little clon as possible. im not trying to get high but would like the blunt the effects of the horrid withdrawal a bit. plus clon is some super strong shit so im not trying to pass out or act a fool. has anyone done this? or used phenibut to get off benzos? i would hate to prolong my addiction by switching to clon but the gaba-b drug switch to gaba-a makes sense to me.

thanks for your time

I did hear something to this effect merely days ago but I think it was bromazepam instead of clona, but they're both benzos so go figure. IMO you'd be trading one addiction for another but I'll folks with actual experience on here answer.

Why were you on phenibut in the first place if I may ask?

I've been using a lot of phenibut myself recently and I'm not quite certain how I'm going to come off safely, but I do know that I'm certainly not going to go cold turkey and that the first step is to reduce my tolerance back to a baseline level.

I have noticed that by only dosing every other day, or even two days of dosing and then one day off, and repeating, that you can comfortably reduce your tolerance back to a normal level and still experience the effects of phenibut. Tolerance seems to most rapidly accrue when re-dosing the same time in a day, or obviously consecutive days in a row.

I think the most I took was something like 2.8-3g when my tolerance peaked, and I'm now down to 1500mg by using this very method. The other week I was down to 1000mg, which I consider a normal active/baseline dose without tolerance, however, I went on and partied and took loads, then took more on the comedown the following week, which sent it back up to about 2000mg.

If you taper properly I'm certain you can still use phenibut recreationally whilst coming back down to a more reasonable level for coming off. I'm not really sure of the best way to proceed at that point.

Edit: not an empathogen, so moving to the right forum! You'll get a better response in there :)

Last edited:
The risk is that you end up getting addicted to benzos. If you avoid that it's a solid plan

thanks for the responses, everybody

Inds: short answer is that i started taking phenibut because i am an addict. the first time i tried phenibut 5 years ago was to get myself off opiates. this actually worked at the time. granted i got hooked on opiates again a few months later but it did work for the time being, ha. now when you say you think that id be trading on addiction for another, do you know that ill become addicted to benzos because theyre hard to stop or ill become addicted because benzos and phenibut work on the same receptors?

tranced: unfortunately, numerous attempts have proven to me that i am unable to taper. ive had luck getting off opiates by just quitting cold turkey and taking a benzo for a week so that is why im going this route. also, time has shown me that i can not be a recreational drug user. ive kicked a few other substances that i was addicted to. now i just need to kick the phenibut and then proceed to live a ct life

cj: thats the plan. once my clonazolam arrives, i am going to measure out enough doses for 6 days and throw out the rest. so ill either take it all too quick and have to suffer worse for a few days or ill stick to my taper plan. i already have a friend helping me to make sure i do not order any more.

I've tried going through Phenibut withdrawal cold turkey before, and it is agonizing, even with only a few months of use. I think the benzo plan is decent, but it does raise some questions. How closely will your friend be monitoring you to make sure you take the measured dose and don't order more? What is your ultimate goal here, to be off Phenibut or do you still want to use other drugs? I think setting a goal of where you want to be a few weeks from now could be really helpful to keep you motivated in the long term where you may feel poorly in the moment.

yes indeed, phenibut withdrawal can be brutal. a few years back i was taking it everyday for 3 months and it was worse than any opiate withdrawal ive gone through. mind you, i was on opiates for 6 years at pretty high doses.

you post some good questions. to make sure i dont order more, i have given my debit and credit cards to my friend along with my car keys. i will be staying in for the week except for a daily walk i will take. weve also taken my payment info out of amazon and paypal. since he has my cards, i couldnt create new accounts anywhere if i wanted to. currently i am not working and my friend is but he will be spending a lot of time with me. normally my wife would be with me the entire time also but she is with her family in scotland right now. my goal is to be completely off all drugs. i was an opiate addict for 6 years and finally kicked the habit using suboxone. ive known for a while now that i am indeed an addict and can not use drugs or alcohol. personally i view psychedelic plants like ayahuasca and mushrooms differently, so i will still be using these on occasion. what is keeping me motivated is the fact that i need to finish schooling and maintain a great gpa and also my addiction has caused some issues between my wife and i. those are very strong motivators for me and since ive kicked opiates recently, i am very motivated and can see the finish line close by.

as far as me dosing more clonazolam that i have planned, we dont have significant protection against that. the main reason why i would not want to do that is that i only have a limited amount of clonaz. i plan on taking 250 micrograms twice a day for 6 days, so my friend is measuring out 3mg worth and holding the rest. if i were to take more than my allotted dosage, i would be running out of clonaz sooner than 6 days.

thanks again everybody for your time and consideration.

Try Gabapentin or pergabalin. They work on a lot of the same receptors in the brain GABA-a (possibly GABA-b) and both utilize amino acids for metabolism.