Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA therapy

kuteguy

Greenlighter
Hi,

Anyone undergone underground MDMA therapy? I have read how amazing it is for relieving cPTSD (via MAPS page that I have been following for the last year)!

I have my own "medicine" so I am not sourcing for the "medicine" just trying to find an experienced sitter.

I live in UK, so ideally someone here in UK, but open to Europe, Asia, or even America, etc

I suppose I could do it on my own (never taken recreational drugs before practically - only Aya and Iboga for therapeutic reasons again) - but I would rather do it with an experienced sitter.

As this promising drug is still illegal, you'll have a difficult time finding a psychotherapist who would do this (even when you brought the MDMA yourself).
I can't recommend starting a "therapy" with a random person on the internet or a wanna-be psychiatrist. The studies have all been done in a setting with health-care professionals.

Have you tried therapy without drugs before?

I have some experience with this. It's very interesting, and potentially powerful work, though not always. What drew me to it was several years of unsuccessful attempts to get off of SSRIs (Zoloft). I never needed it in a big way but was advised to try it back in the 90s when these were the new wonder drugs. It was great for a few months, then gradually became ineffective even as side effects got worse, and worse, and worse. One guided experience with MDMA got me over the hump--still very difficult, but it helped a lot by opening up a window of actual feeling, and so of hope, after years of being numbed out. I should say the worst was always a month or two after my last Zoloft dose, and that I did the M after being clear for two weeks--so the window it opened got me past the worst of the post-SSRI depression, which was...bad..though mostly a reaction to loss of the crutch, not any underlying condition.

If you're working with something really difficult, having an experienced and skilled sitter--really a therapist--is very important. Trust and relationship and sharing are key to getting the most out of the experience. Even better (much better) is grounding that work in something akin to regular talk therapy. I think the MAPS protocol is pretty good, as it involves a fair amount of talk therapy with multiple MDMA sessions interspersed; I feel quite sure that accounts for the impressive results they've gotten with their research. Doing it that way establishes strong trust with your therapist/sitter, which helps you go deeper and more thoroughly into material during the session, and also provides a larger framework for sharing and for integrating what you learn into normal consciousness after the session.

I did some subsequent work with it after getting off the Zoloft, but although I did it with pretty careful and thoughtful sitters, it was not part of an ongoing therapy and I think that may explain why I had less success with it once I got off the SSRIs. I always learned something, and it's always a great experience, but the sessions were just too isolated and intermittent for it to really work--or so I think, hard to say for sure.

There are a fair number of people who do this work actually, both licensed therapists and trained guides, in the states, and I would bet if you ask around you will eventually find someone--but make sure it's someone good, as I have found there to be quite a few well-meaning people in this community who are, well, a little flakey. Generally safe enough, but it's SO easy to think you've got the secret to everything once you've gotten acquainted with this stuff and many people do not go beyond that stage to really learning the depths and complexity involved. I find there to be a lot of partially-healed people thinking they're fully healed when they're not at all. Of course, they might say the same about me! All the more reason to be careful in your discernment. Good luck, I hope you find success with this.

P.S. I'm just seeing you specified complex PTSD. Especially for that, you want to work with someone experienced as part of a larger process. MDMA is unlikely to just "fix" that (highly unlikely). It facilitates healing greatly, but you still have to have the basic relational healing elements in place, and CPTSD requires experience, patience, trust...someone who can help you hold the work in a larger container.

Last edited: