Questions about theobromine

High_Anglican

Greenlighter
I know that some people use theanine and/or taurine to balance out the caffeine in coffee. I'm wondering what would be the best way to balance the theobromine in chocolate?

It seems that caffeine is more of a "head high" while theobromine is more of a "body high." Would you just use theanine or taurine? Or some other combination?

Hey there. I'd say most would argue it's caffeine that has fairly potent 'body' effects (unpleasantly so at higher doses), and theobromine/cacao a more subtle mental stimulating effect. Are you saying you feel it differently?

As for theanine, you can use it with anything, not just caffeine. It probably has equally synergistic effects with the whole gamut of stimulants.

If I'm dragging ass/beat up pretty bad and need to hit the gym, I'll double up on caffeine and throw in like 150mg theanine to even out the physical aspects. Primes my mind but keeps from feeling overstimmed physically.

Taurine should just be a daily staple really as it has many health benefits. 3-5g daily. Its dirt cheap anyway.

When my alarm goes off in the morning and I need something to clear up the morning fog, cacao will do nothing for me. I need coffee or tea. Caffeine makes me mentally alert, while theobromine gives me physical energy (I take cacao powder and make myself a strong cup of unsweetened hot chocolate). If I take too much I get jittery, but not in exactly the same way as I would with coffee.

For me, I start the day with 25g raw cacao. Really clears my mind but not in the jittery adrenaline-type way you would get from coffee or tea. Maybe you just need that adrenaline kick first thing to switch on?

For me, I start the day with 25g raw cacao. Really clears my mind but not in the jittery adrenaline-type way you would get from coffee or tea. Maybe you just need that adrenaline kick first thing to switch on?

I'm a Cacao/Citicholine guy myself. Ever tried the combo?