• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Springtime SAD, Anyone?

Lady Codone

Bluelighter
I'm a weirdo: I have clinical depression at all times but it gets much, much worse in the Spring. From about mid-February through early June, I'm plagued by severe fatigue (worst in the evenings around sunset), nightmares, suicidal thoughts, emotional lows, sad memories/intrusive thoughts & feelings of worthlessness. Every. Single. Year. Last year it was so bad it broke up my 12-year relationship. This time around I'm basically reliving that horror after believing I'd overcome it. I've tried getting more sun & fresh air as well as supplementing with various vitamins & herbs all to no avail. 8(

I told my psych doctor this recently & she started asking about bipolar disorder in my family! I'm definitely NOT bipolar, as I've never been manic a day in my life--quite the opposite. I struggle to leave my bed most days. No psychosis either. We've exhausted every medication she can prescribe, so I'm seeing a new psychiatrist tomorrow & hoping to get some answers. (And possibly a stimulant to help with the fatigue/amotivation). I'm currently on 80mg Prozac & 150mg Topiramate which neither help nor worsen the situation to any noticeable degree. Anti-psychotics make things infinitely worse while SSRIs & SNRIs are like sugar pills basically... Wellbutrin put me in the hospital after only a couple days' use. I've been at this medication thing since 2000ish when I was a teen. Think it's fair to call it "treatment-resistant" at this point. :)

Anyone else have Seasonal Affective Disorder in the SPRING?! I'm fine all Winter, Fall & Summer...there's just something my brain does not like about this time of year. It's not the time change because it starts several weeks before that. I use Flonase & other allergy meds consistently, so if it's an allergic reaction to pollen it's in spite of all the meds I take year-round. I'm at a total loss. Would love to pin down a cause so maybe I could make some headway with this next year. Winter SAD seems to be linked to light exposure which is easy enough to correct. But what about Springtime SAD?

For me this comes in the autumn. I have actually learned to value it though it is not necessarily a pleasant thing to go through. I get a mild depression that in the old days would have been called melancholia. I kind of like calling it that because that embraces the emotion rather than pathologizing it.

Spring has a particular cruelty in it for me now as May holds both the birthday of my late son and his death anniversary three weeks later. It is a beautiful--heartbreakingly beautiful--time of year around my house. My garden is in full bloom and the whole world seems full of rebirth and promise; but starting about early April I feel like I am on a forced march to a torture chamber. The best advice I have is to write during these times. It's the only thing I've found that both honors your emotions and helps you to navigate through them in a way that gives you more resilience for their inevitable return next year.