• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health First day off Effexor. Anything to expect?

hoffsteader

Bluelighter
So today is the first day without taking any Effexor at all. I've been on 225mg for about two years. I tapered the dosage over a few days so that hopefully the withdrawal isn't too severe. I know this is a bit quick but I haven't noticed any effects yet. Just wondering if anybody else has any experience with this and has any warnings or predictions. I'm familiar with brain zaps from missing a dose but so far I haven't had any during the taper. I've also been having headaches but I frequently get them so I'm not sure if it's from the withdrawal. Thanks.

Brain zaps were my main problem when I came off Effexor, but I also had quite a bit of general restlessness and anxiety. I would guess the brain zaps will come once you?ve gone more than a full day without it ? tapering over a few days isn?t going to help much.

It?s also been about ten years since I went through this, so I?m sure there?s plenty I?m not remembering. I do remember it was a very uncomfortable and unpleasant week or so. I feel for you...

Effexor was one that I initially found worked, then after being weaned off and re-initiated, did not work. I felt better after coming off of it.

I'm curious, are you planning on trying another medication? Have you decided to go another therapeutic route?

Effexor was one that I initially found worked, then after being weaned off and re-initiated, did not work. I felt better after coming off of it.

I'm curious, are you planning on trying another medication? Have you decided to go another therapeutic route?

For now my only plan is to stop the medication. I don't think I want to be on any antidepressants. I will continue with the therapy that I have already been undergoing as well.

I stopped Effexor and something else cold turkey. (I honestly forget, may have been Seroquel. They tried a lot of different cocktails on me.)

Like Ho-Chi-Minh, I actually felt better coming off of it.

Plus I got to climax again. I could get and maintain an erection but I could never orgasm on Effexor for some reason. Zyprexa too. Really hurt the girl I was with at the time and sometimes I'd beat my dick until I was trembling, my chest was all red and I could see my heartbeat pounding in my field of vision and NOTHING. Fucking horrible.

Brain zaps are the start of it and get more severe and frequent.

I have gone without for 2 days and couldnt handle it.

Effexor cold turkey is hell.

Very debilitating, I dont know how long for but good luck.

A gentle taper is a better option but youve made your mind up.

Thanks for the replies. So far things have been mostly okay. Trouble sleeping...I keep waiting up 100 times each night. Random bouts of nausea. Some mild head zaps but nothing too bad. Still I'm looking forward to this week being over.

Brain zaps are gone by now (1 week complete). Still waking up several times at night and having nausea on a daily basis. The nausea is the worst part of it. Hopefully I won't have to go through this week again :)