• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

How can I optimize my spiritual experience?

High_Anglican

Greenlighter
First of all, let me say that I really hope I am posting in the right place.

Holy Week is coming up soon, and the last three days before Easter are the holiest three days of the year. When I'm in church on those days, I don't want my mind spinning around, over-analyzing, and thinking my own thoughts. It really sucks when I'm supposed to be enveloped in a spiritual experience, but instead I'm thinking about my taxes, or what I'm having for breakfast the next morning, or when some girl is going to text me back.

Last year, I attended a service at an Episcopal church while under the influence of cannabis indica, and it put me into this amazing meditative state. When I looked at the incense drifting through the air above the altar, I felt like I was in the portal to another dimension. Every word in the priest's sermon had deep meaning. I truly felt God's presence.

Fast forward to the present day, and I have a new job at a drug-free work place (and never know when there's going to be a random test). So I'm looking for legal alternatives.

I have found that when I take Gotu Kola, it replicates some of the effects of weed (except for impaired judgement and paranoia). Is there is anything I could add to potentiate that effect? Other herbs, or amino acids?

In Carlos Castaneda's works, the sorcerer don Juan put a mixture of herbs in with Psyilocybe Mexicana to conjoin with a sort of altogether effect that would produce a certain or ultimate HIGH. If you're looking for specific drugs, you've come to the right place. However, placing that certain nodal point on which effects you wish to assume is another story. That is something you have to find for yourself.

However, I have taken many psychedelics over the years and found that certain highs I wish to assume I can reproduce naturally - or as you might acknowledge [through a sort of meditative state]. If you wish to invoke a certain mental state that is simply up to the bearer you might have to experiment. When I say experiment I mean that in a way that you experiment with your mind and not with drugs. That is something you'll have to decide for yourself if drugs are worthwhile or not.

You know how it is said we use 1/10th of our brains ( I know, I know--controversial but let's use it as a useful metaphor)? Well, what about our hearts? I thought I had an open heart. Then it got cracked open wider. What if even this is a fraction of how open it could be? Connecting with the spiritual is about opening to a wider plane than we normally operate in. I am interested in why this is so difficult for us and also how we are changed when it happens to us. My experience is that it is difficult to go after it intentionally but happened effortlessly when my heart was "broken". I know other people that have had this same experience whether from near death or grave illness or personal tragedy. Everyone comments on this wash of enlightenment and then the slow creep back into the mundane ooze of day to day existence.

It is virtually impossible to "optimize" the spiritual experience. Optimization seems to hint that the "spiritual" is something that can be attained,when in actuality, the exact opposite is true. Spirituality is the process of submission or letting go rather than attainment. In loss, pain, hardship, illness etc., the ego or false self is "shocked", thus unseating it from it's place of prominence in our life. That is why the suffering in this life often ushers in a time of spiritual "initiation" and growth. What we have to do is learn that falling is OK. If a little bird never falls from the nest, it will never fly. One of the first fears a human experiences is the fear of falling when learning to walk. This fear pervades our lives, manifesting in the never ending conquest to attain or grasp at everything we can get our hands on. Almost all ancient religions teach the principle of letting go in some form or another from disciplines such as vows of poverty fasting, clearing through meditation etc. So, I guess optimizing my spiritual life would consist of letting go and just being present in this moment because in reality, the past and the future do not exist.

The SPIRITUAL HIGH through the Holy Spirit is the better and more powerful than ANY drug-induced hi.
IT is PURE LOVE it is overwhelming it actually has a thickness or volume - and it is ALL encompassing.

Much of the confusion and miss representation of the power transfer from Father God has been miss represented through 'denominal' pseudo christian religions... to keep people spiritually blind and tied up in a moneymaking framework.

Saved ... is receiving the Holy Spirit as described in Acts 2 and the Epistles, with "Holy Spirit manifested signs following".
The initial Biblical proof of being Saved is speaking in tongues. this is the first of the 9 Gifts of the Holy Spirit
these are 3 voice gifts, 3 discernment gifts, and 3 power gifts.
This is the Spiritual, Supernatural toolkit to fight off Satan.

This infilling of the Holy Spirit will happen after full immersion Baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, for the 'remission' of your sin.
Your sin is the INHERITED sin of the original sin - which you were born into.
ALL other sin, either inherited through the "sins of the fathers" or your own personal sin (e.g. like recreational pharmacopeia ... which the Bible defines as witchcraft) is able to be fought off and cast out by the using the 9 Gifts if the Holy Spirit.

The SPIRITUAL HIGH through the Holy Spirit is the better and more powerful than ANY drug-induced hi.
IT is PURE LOVE it is overwhelming it actually has a thickness or volume - and it is ALL encompassing.

If you really want to understand find a Pentecostal Church and
ask them to help you follow Jesus Christ, receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit with signs following.
They should disciple you and show you the way ... if not ping me and I will pray with you.
God Bless

If the intention is earnest, then any path will lead you there. Your own inner knowing will experience recognition in the "right things" you come across. It may not even be on a conscious level.

I've found that spiritual seeking is little more than the spirit showing the body-mind what it already knows. The spirit wants to continue its eternal evolution so it has to teach the current body-mind (the ego) what it already knows, through leading it to related experiences.

The answers are already inside you, and you will choose experiences which will help you understand your own inner knowing.

The fact that you're asking means it's already happening.

Really well put foreigner, coming through the Christian faith from a Mennonite starting point I don't see a difference now across any religion except for human attempts to declare absolutes.

Initially it is difficult to converse having only a single religious set of ideals but over time I've come to realize each group simply used differing language, the ideas are the same. Christianity has a bit of internal confusion separating Jewish mythology from the teachings in the New testament but new testament language and both Hindu and Buddhist beliefs have a lot more in common then most practitioners are aware of.

The terms awake, enlightened and born again all refer to the same human experience from different cultures.

If we remember people who wrote these books thousands of years ago were in a different world with different problems and a lot of their personal struggle and beliefs are written down with it.

I am new to Bluelight but I have stalked the forums for a while now so here is what I believe to be true to myself.

I have been someone who has always thought there was something more powerful than myself, human race as a whole too. But there was never any proof, no visual facts I can reference to fully believe. We believe in electricity, or here is an example I really enjoyed hearing knc, ?When you take a shit in the toilet and you flush it down, you believe that your shit will be gone and you don?t doubt that?s your shit will leave.? But there is no burning bush to show there is a higher power. I have always been a logical and factual person but really needed spirituality in my life, because, without it I become self centered selfish and lonely.

Something that I practice to strengthen my spirit that experience is prayer. It really helps, you don?t have to pray the normal way (however you might have been taught) but praying like you would talk to a friend. Submerging yourself into something that fills you up, like with me, whenever I was involved with nature walks, hikes, swimming etc. I felt as though there has been a whole inside that was filled up that I had no idea was there.

Now, onto something that is arguable, at least in my experiences, drugs. Not just any drug, but mainly psychedelic chemicals. May that be in etathogens or dissociative etc. classes. All have a spiritual feel to them. Myself personally I have experienced many spiritual experiences while on the influence of shrooms (while in nature). I have leaned on drugs in the past to give me that foot in the door for my spirituality. It?s helped and gives many people a head start.

I hope some of the things i said will help you bud!

IMO you are only stunting your spiritual growth by letting yourself become enveloped by religious programming. I was raised Christian but lucky I got out of it. Most of us grow out of that I think. Connect to nature . The earth . Explore yourself. Learn about your chakras and feel your energy. . Ask your creator to show you the path . Our parents are usually the ones to lead us to religious programming . Ask the universe to show you a different way. There are more then one. You shouldn't feel guilty wondering thoughts in church. Your true self knows it is not the way.
To optimize
Explore

". . .I don't see a difference now across any religion except for human attempts to declare absolutes.

Absoluteness in the sense of not allowing millions of people to starve to death. Absoluteness in the sense of having medical care not just for the wealthy, but for the poor too. Is there a problem with that?

Absoluteness in the sense of not allowing millions of people to starve to death. Absoluteness in the sense of having medical care not just for the wealthy, but for the poor too. Is there a problem with that?

I really don't understand what you're saying here so I'm assuming I was unclear when I said I don't see a difference in the teachings of various religions.

I see the addition of rules and each different religious group wants their rules in front of the others.

I see the new testament belief that in the making of rules and law we actually make death, not life. Yet the rules persist.

It is challenging to discuss the difference between religion and spirituality between people with only one or the other. I have now abandoned all religious beliefs but am far more spiritual because of that. I refer to this as being born again when I speak to people from the Christian faith but really I would use awakened as it seems more correct.

I really don't understand what you're saying here so I'm assuming I was unclear when I said I don't see a difference in the teachings of various religions.

On second thought, I don't see a difference either. They all use imagery in their worship, which the ancient Jews did not. They all bow down to the cross, which ancient Jew did not, but their neighbor did, the Romans. They all worship multiple Gods, which the ancient Jew did not. The ancient Jew were monotheist their neighbors were polytheist. So, there you go, you're right.

Last edited:
It is virtually impossible to "optimize" the spiritual experience. Optimization seems to hint that the "spiritual" is something that can be attained,when in actuality, the exact opposite is true. Spirituality is the process of submission or letting go rather than attainment. In loss, pain, hardship, illness etc., the ego or false self is "shocked", thus unseating it from it's place of prominence in our life. That is why the suffering in this life often ushers in a time of spiritual "initiation" and growth. What we have to do is learn that falling is OK. If a little bird never falls from the nest, it will never fly. One of the first fears a human experiences is the fear of falling when learning to walk. This fear pervades our lives, manifesting in the never ending conquest to attain or grasp at everything we can get our hands on. Almost all ancient religions teach the principle of letting go in some form or another from disciplines such as vows of poverty fasting, clearing through meditation etc. So, I guess optimizing my spiritual life would consist of letting go and just being present in this moment because in reality, the past and the future do not exist.
Very good post.
However, I do not entirely agree with the last sentence.

Stop 'trying' to have spiritual experiences. They just add to delusion.

Once you stop trying, you are closer to the truth than if you kept trying.

It's all good. All we need is within. Just let go. Because either way, we all have all we need within us. So, it's all good. Just let go. Or don't let go. Either way, it's all inside us. It's all good. Idk.. the more you say the less it makes sense! Wtf! Just let it go lol!