• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Intensified nicotine withdrawals after general anesthesia?

Amml

Bluelighter
Hey,
about 1 year ago I had to undergo a surgery, which required general anesthesia. I can't remember which substances were used but I'm sure one of the compounds was Propofol, because I saw a syringe with white opaque liquid before passing out, and the only known substance that I know that looks like that is Propofol. Another one was Midazolam, which I took as a pill about 30 minutes before surgery, and there also must have been an opioid to control the pain after surgery. I can't say if I received an inhalational anesthetic, but this is rather unlikely.

At this time I already was addicted to nicotine (about 10mg/day) and consumed no nicotine on the day of surgery (surgery from 6am-7am) and also received no nicotine replacement therapy afterwards, although I consumed nicotine again about 3-4 hours after surgery. The total time I was unconscious was about 1 1/2 hours and after I woke up I felt extremly irritable and aggressive. A few weeks later I tried to quit with my nicotine habit and had similar symptoms after about 2-3 days.

Now I've read that propofol is an antagonist at the Alpha4Beta2 nicotinic receptor (http://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=1948335), which is the main agonistic target of nicotine, and my question is if the antagonistic properties of Propofol could have caused a rapid withdrawal state, similar to naloxone causes rapid withdrawals in opioid addicts, or are the described symptoms normal after waking up from general anesthesia?

Btw if you find grammar or spelling mistakes please tell me, I'm trying to improve my english :)

Last edited: