• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Diphenhydramine - First Trip On It - Diphenhydramine trip report (LONG)

dextrohex

Greenlighter
Quick disclaimer: I do not recommend this form of "tripping", if you can even call it that, whatsoever. With the wrong circumstances, it could be an invitation for a bad experience. If you give in to curiosity, a trip sitter is necessary, and make sure to read up on everything.

(This trip report was written a while back, just posting it here as an archive) After a bit of curiosity with this substance for about 2 months, I attempted to take a high enough dosage to feel the delirious effects, full on knowing what I will get into and trying to start small. The dosage that finally worked was 500 mg. This was taken via Benadryl.

Scene: Tuesday night, about 4:00 PM. Because of the 2 failed attempts with lower dosages, I did not fully expect this dosage to work, and I was very relaxed going into this. Working on schoolwork, listening to music, and with the lights off and only my computer to light my room to help OEVs develop.

At about 6:00 - I forgot to document the times - the visual effects crept up on me slowly, and though I got the general cotton-mouthed floaty feeling, I was not experiencing the effects until I looked down at the floor to take a break for my eyes. Both my floor and my bed began to look as if they were being puffed up like a balloon or inflated, and inflated and deflated continuously for about half an hour. Because I still remembered that I was not sober (will elaborate later), I found this absolutely hilarious. This was the only prominent effect by now.

Towards around 6:40, still whilst working on schoolwork, I began noticing that my memory was rapidly deteriorating. As I wrote a sentence, I would forget what it was about, or how it was going. I would reread it, reread again, and try to remember it, yet every time I attempted to continue, it made literally no sense whatsoever. (Reading back on the paper now, it is absolutely hilarious. Can't believe I thought it was acceptable to submit, but apparently my teacher didn't care about the incoherence).

Shortly after this, as my computer temporarily went idle and the screen turned black, I stared at my reflection and did not recognize it whatsoever. I was fully convinced that it wasn't me, and though I don't know what I imagined myself to be, it certainly was not what my reflection showed. I blinked, turned my head back and forth, and smiled to myself, and my reflection blankly stared back at me, not moving and basically looking dead to all emotion. Nice. By now, I had forgotten I was even delirious - this is one of the most concerning parts of the trip, and if I had felt the need to jump out of a window, I definitely would have - and was somewhat confused. Yet another reason I recommend a trip sitter for this.

Skip through a couple of mostly uneventful hours to 10 PM. (Except for the sketchy spiders trying to get under my door. Fuckers.) This is when I fully have no clue what time everything took place, because I basically entered mental and physical standstill, void, purgatory. No clue what to categorize it as, but it was mega fucking whack.
Throughout this time to about 4 am, many strange things came and went. Can't remember what order (memory was basically obliterated). As I went to bed (forgetting about nightly routines, including saying goodnight to my best friend which I have done every night for about a year) I realized I was getting no sleep tonight. Though sleepy, I didn't feel tired or ready to sleep whatsoever, and I started seeing more spiders and bugs. I saw gnat-like bugs swarming around and covering my hands, and thought this was normal. I saw spiders crawling underneath my door again, that too seemed fine.

At this time, I also began seeing people. I watched my friends exit and enter my room, dissipate every time I tried to talk to them. People I don't even talk to kept sitting in my desk chair, sleeping next to me in my bed, and walking around. I was very pissed about this and slightly uncomfortable by the girl in my bed and people watching me sleep, but somehow I thought this was normal. I heard trip reports about DMH and thought "haha idiots, I would never think any of that was normal..." but in the end, it's a deliriant, and I was a dumbass to think that. And thus, my friends solemnly sitting on the floor with a dead expression became normal.

Yet it got even more whack. I heard voices in my room, the first auditory hallucination all night. But obviously my completely silent intruders in my room wouldn't be talking, so it logically must be my fucking bulletin board and the door to my attic. Many conversations took place in my room, all between disembodied voices and inanimate objects. Every time I attempted to help, respond, or add to conversations which I can't remember, whatever was talking to me would shut up, disappear, or give off the aura of someone who is immensely pissed.

My mourning, hallucinated friends would also occasionally ask for objects, such as a piece or paper that I clearly saw on the foot of my bed, and so I would crawl out from under my covers, swat at whatever they want, and fail to pick it up. Asshole realm-walking person would proceed to fade into the air, and I'd be frustrated. I consistently saw things such as 3 pairs of my glasses, pieces of paper, my phone but slightly smaller, and my friend's water bottle. My cotton-mouthed 4 AM self would desperately reach for the water bottle, have my hand swat straight through it, and got pissed because I couldn't figure it out.
The last strange occurance was when I stumbled out of my bed at some ungodly hour, nearly fell because of the staggering weight of gravity, and looked into my full-length mirror. I looked at what I vaguely clung to as myself, and wondered why I looked so dead and emotionless and blank. My hair was also brown, no clue why. My hair is currently dyed, though normally brown, and I had no clue why. Somehow, throughout all that weird shit, this was the strangest thing to myself.

When it hit 6:20 AM, my phone played my annoying alarm, and I stumbled out of my sweaty blanket cocoon, pupils still dilated and an overwhelming sense of "what the fuckkkkk". Surprisingly, I had yet to feel any form of tiredness, and mostly just felt very sweaty and gross. Memory was somewhat restored, and though I was still a little slow during the day, it didn't really feel that bad. Throughout this day, my pupils remained dilated, my heart felt like I had run the FitnessGram Pacer Test a hundred times, and overall I probably seemed pretty messed up. My friend (unaware to any of this) commented that they could literally hear my heart beating.

TL;DR Don't be dumb. Unless you are really curious. In that case, do it but don't be too dumb.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_diphenhydramine
substancecode_deliriants
explevel_firsttime
exptype_negative
exptype_bodyload
exptype_difficult
roacode_oral

Last edited:
Been there, done that one. Definitely one of the more dangerous of things to trip on, what with the possibilities of wandering out in a total blackout, without even the vestibular disturbances of alcohol to save you from making it across several lanes of traffic.

ETA: I also like how this is a drug you can get in 100-dose bottles, presumably without restrictions on buying by the pallet at your closest Sam's Club.
(2.5 grams is less-than-lethal for an adult hominid, to be fair).

OD --> Trip Reports.

Anticholinergics are crazy, not in the good kind of way...
There's a reason that witches used them in the Middle Ages.

I hate this drug. I don't even take it for sleep anymore. I tried that a few times, but it gives me restless leg syndrome. It makes me feel like I need to keep moving and kicking my legs, but I am tired as fuck at the same time. I had a high dose of it once and heard like a stream of random people talking in my head. It sounded like if you were tuning a radio randomly and random words and topics were coming up and leaving quickly.

I messed around with DpH many times as a teen. Ultimately i wont even touch it for allergys now. I got tired of the intense cotton mouth that it gave me. I had some pretty strange experiences. Like one time on it, my dad woke me up in the morning for school. And as i opened my eyes i almost said " Who the fuck are you, and what are you doing in my room?"..... Boy im glad i didnt my dad would have thought i was nuts. LMAO. But it can make you pretty delusional . I have taken up to 30 25mg DPH before. Anything over 10 pills just gets weird and the cotton mouth gets unbearable. I honestly wouldnt recommend it recreationally. It was never exactly fun. A high, but that doesnt mean it was "FUN".