• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Advice needed with how to deal with a possible mental heath issue of a family member

tina20

Greenlighter
Hi there,

I'm writing to seek advice about an issue my family is dealing with right now that we have not been able to solve. My brother started his doctorate studies in another country in 2014. He's always done well academically and everything seemed to be going well up to the point when he left. However, since then things have progressively been getting worse. He failed his exams twice, got into some kind of disciplinary issues at uni and then dropped out. This happened in the course of a year. He suspended all communication with me with no explanation back in 2015 but has stayed in touch with my parents. He's behaved erratically on the phone with them multiple times, saying that people were spying on him or trying to track him etc. He accused them of betrayal, spying etc and would give them very disjointed information (such as telling them that police came to his home or that he had a disciplinary hearing at uni etc) but would never tell them why or give them any details. In his calmer moments, he assured them saying he would get a job after his MSc, but wasn't able to find one, probably because he has no references to support his application, among other things. But he blamed my parents for calling up his potential employers to badmouth him! There was a very long period when he cut off all contact from my parents and my mom was heartbroken. He got back in touch with my parents in October via email last year saying that he still doesn't have a job, has racked up a credit card bill of over $20,000 and had to flee his place due to non-payment of rent. He left all his stuff (expensive stuff too like a big screen TV, a gaming console, printer etc along with clothes and other necessities). My parents are retired people of limited means (I live in another city in a new job and barely managing to support myself). He told them that somebody is helping him with debt settlement and until that comes through he cannot leave the country and return home. He won't share any specific details with my parents, is paranoid that he's being watched/tracked and is not willing to talk or skype because of this. He's living in a motel now while my dad has returned to work supporting his huge expenses. This latest bit has been going on for five months.

I don't know what to do. It seems like my brother has had/is having some kind of a mental breakdown but I'm no mental health professional. I'm also quite worried about my parents. They are in their sixties but tension and constant worry about their son is making them age faster than ever. Both of them don't know what to do and keep sending him money in the hopes he'll come back. My brother and I have not spoken in years and honestly, I don't know what to say to him that has not already been said by my parents.

I'm posting here in the hope that someone can possibly identify something that I may not have realised. Both my parents and I are worried that he's going though some mental health issues but he just explodes when it's suggested as even a remote possibility.

I'm not sure this is even the right forum to post about this strange situation but if you have any advice for someone who's completely clueless about how to deal with this, any advice would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
homeless --> mental health (i think that might be the best fit for this)

That sounds like a terrible experience for your whole family. I am a parent and I cannot imagine thinking that one of my children was experiencing severe mental illness in a country far away from me and any family support.

I guess the best thing your family can do would be to try to stay in contact and encourage him to come home. Are you sure it is mental illness and not drug induced psychosis?

Hey Tina-

That is really stressful- I can imagine how helpless and heartbroken you and your parents are feeling.

It does sound like some mental issues are occurring. I was going to ask you if it was a possibility he could be abusing drugs. That can and does cause erratic, out of character behavior.

But, you mentioned he had to leave his apartment but left lots of expensive things behind. Usually w drug abuse- he wouldn't have left things- they would've more than likely been gone due to selling them/trading them as drug use is expensive.

I wish I could've been more help. I'm sending you positive vibes. Hope your family can get to the bottom of this situation. <3

Hi, has he ever been clinically diagnosed with a mental illness? If so that will help recovering him from another country. A few options right now is cut off all his funding. Scary but it?s got to be done imo. Then report him missing to your local police. They may try to persuade you not to file a report push back it?s your right to file. If in three days he?s not found then have them report him missing to the FBI. https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/Family-Members-and-Caregivers/Finding-a-Missing-Loved-One. Depending on the red tape, if you cannot get him back in this country then go to change.org and make a petition. People will help. Also record, keep any evidence you have of his behavior, especially if he’s threatened harm to himself or others. You will need this when getting the authorities involved. Once he?s back in the country you will have better resources to help you. This is not legal or clinical advice just suggestions that may help.

resources:

800-950-6264 NAMI helpline
https://www.usembassy.gov/
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/contact-us.html

Last edited:
Very much sounds to me as though your brother is experiencing consequences of a severe addiction to and extensive abuse of amphetamines or other powerful psychostimulant. He needs to get off the drugs.

Sorry to hear your family must endure such hardship. That's definitely a painful situation for all parties involved.
Good luck.

-PA

Sounds like he hates what he's studying and using a lot of amphetamines to cope and is now suffering the bad side effects that stimulants have.