• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Zoloft numbs the shit out of me

Alfed

Greenlighter
Hi,

I have been diagnosed with Depression and SAD. I've been on Zoloft (75mg) for 3 months now. It's okay for SAD, but it is very "numbing": I've never felt so amotivated, apathetic and indifferent. Zoloft also exacerbates my agitation.

Is this normal? Will it become better?

Thanks and greetings,
Alfed

Talk to your doctor about switching to a different antideppressant sounds like Zoloft isn't right for you. It's a normal side effect but not one you have to be stuck with when another medication may be better.

Three months is a fair trial by the standards of most. Even acute care inpatient facilities, from what I've heard, tell their patients to wait two months for the medication to settle in well.

The sort of numbing you describe is probably not unlike what could be experienced by most, if not all, SSRIs.

Have you been on other antidepressants?

Wellbutrin is, I believe, the only medication with an FDA approval for SAD. That said, there are other atypical antidepressants.

Also, just so its gone over, people tend to recover much more often and fully if they work the therapy and constructive hobbies sides of things.