• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and (possible) heart issues

glassaminals

Greenlighter
Hello all, first post here but I've been lurking for sometime!
Anyways I'm a 19 year old male, 5'8 and 165, don't work out or anything. So I've recently started having fun with MDMA, and I love it a lot. However, I was always somewhat cautious due to the fact that I have VSD (Ventricular septal defect, a congenital heart defect that has left a hole in the septum separating the left and right ventricles of my heart, resulting in a murmur) but my last rolls have gone smoothly. When I went to my last cardiologist visit, he said he didn't want to see me again for years because despite the VSD (which is nearly closed, also making the murmur louder), my heart is perfectly normal.

Now I've rolled four times, and I'll admit despite doing my research they were all within a 3 month period, with the last 2 rolls being within a week and a half of each other. The last roll I did about .175 in about two hours time, which was intense and the most I've done in that period of time. I got some slight heart palpitations and then when smoking a couple cigs my hands kinda got tingly. I immediately googled to see if that was a warning sign and it said it might've had something to do with my heart pumping blood, so I stopped smoking and felt better. (In that case I think the nicotine+mdma put a lil on my heart) That was about 4 days ago, and I've had no negative experience off of the rolls aside from all that.

However, today I picked up an energy drink before work and drank it before my shift, did my running about (I work as a server so I'm running around quite often) and got over the lunch rush. I was rolling silverware, stationary not doing anything, and my heart started palpitating and it felt kind of shallow. This lasted for about 3 seconds, after which I felt fine again, aside from being spooked. Immediately my mind went to the energy drink, but I drink them quite often (which I should consider quitting). I've had chest pains before (even before MDMA) which my cardiologist said is normal and not to worry about it, but this specifically felt different.

Now my questions are:
1) Do you think the issue today had connection to the MDMA I did 4 days ago? If not my thought was that it might be the energy drink.
2) Would it be, generally speaking, safe for me to roll in the future? (not any time soon, I definitely need to space the rolls out more)
3) Is it worth contacting a doctor over this?

I know MDMA isn't really encouraged to be used in combination with preexisting heart conditions, but I think VSD is on a more minor scale than other conditions and as I said my previous rolls went smoothly and I had no lasting effects. Any info/advice/help would be appreciated!!

As far as other drugs goes, I've done lucy a number of times, percocet a couple of times, and xanax once. I also smoke weed regularly, I'm high almost all the time. I used to drink extremely often and I've cut that down to once a week, or just a handful of times a month. Also just recently picked up cigs and I'm kinda wishing I could put them back down.

Last edited:
MDMA, MDMA metabolites and related substituted amphetamines seem to occasionally cause various side effects relating to regulation of blood pressure and autonomic function. I've never heard about anything serious, but the common one to hear about is low blood pressure and henceforth a pounding heart when standing up. Sleep deprivation tends to cause the same thing.

If I was feeling a "flip flopping" heart sensation then I would most certainly go see a doctor again and be honest with them, on the other hand if I was just feeling a strong heart beat (its not at all uncommon for people to feel their heartbeats in various locations) I wouldn't worry.

Some people seem a little bit more vulnerable to sympathetic nervous system activation/stress/vasoconstriction after using MDMA, for many of these things it just takes some time for things to normalize. I would avoid caffeine and nicotine in the mean time.

Do try to space out your rolls. No more than once a month is one rule of thumb, some say no more than 4 times a year.