• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Treatment and Recovery: JerryBlast's Journal and AskMeAnything

JerryBlast

Greenlighter
Well, it's been a hell of a ride. I am 24 years old and I am still trying to figure out the scale and depth of the hole I have been digging for the past idk, 10 years.. I was very unstable during my childhood and apparently, my environment combined with those unfortunate upbringings were a major factor in what played the part in me and my heavy drug use.. When it came to getting the treatment I was never really interested in outside sources (outside my family/ home/self). I was really relying on my ability to maintain self-control when I had no idea I was already far past losing it completely and at the time was not clearly able to process things in a way to accept that I was incapable of doing it myself or at home. Then one day I woke up and everything changed. It wasn't the first time but it was definitely a message I knew was very bad for me. My wife (domestic partner) of 6 years up and disappeared. I am not upset with her nor do I resent her for the decision. I get it, I was a fool for the way I treated her and the behavior I had I can say today, was that of a teenager and unacceptable.. I had/have a lot of growing up to do but I have come a long way in just 1 month. Farther than I got in 3 months cold-turkey on my own with 2 jobs last time (check my profile and threads for my first attempt to quit using.. I relapsed this is my second major attempt and public coming out)

Today, I did it. I have a long road ahead of me but I did something that has been very hard for me to do for a long time and I feel like I will be able to stick with this decision more than I have before. Here are some differences I have made at this time that are different than the last time.

Last Time:

Cold-Turkey, No Treatment (Of any kind therapy or nothing)
Wife Was Living Here (I was already taking the situation for granted)
I got Two Jobs (I was doing great in my head and I was motivated but I really took too much on at once)
I stopped Documenting On BlueLight (I thought I was okay, I realize this is a journal and it's healthy to express yourself regularly)
I only made it 3 Months (I feel like I failed because I took the wrong approach)
I didn't give up my keys (I started to but then I blew up at my family to get them back. I didn't earn them..)
I had other people living in my house (I had room-mates living/moving out at the time which was stressful and depressing)
I didn't cut off the drug connections.. (Some of them are close people. Very close, and although I stopped using I kept contact)
I made no friends (I didn't make any new friends that would be positive or productive influences in my life.)

This Time:

My Wife Has Left We Still Talk:
I woke up one day and I realized that I no longer had her support. I had pushed it all too far and she was floating everything without my help... At first, she said she wasn't leaving for good but then she decided not to come back. We are not broken up and we still communicate to this day. It's healthy that we have closure and communicate and I am very thankful she still talks to me and does not want to end our relationship. We are healing even though we have much to learn and go through before we have a foundation that is functional again and we are living together. The point is I haven't lost the woman of my dreams. We have known each other for 10 years dated for 6 months and lived together for 6years. there was a 3-year gap where we were separated as teens from moving around.

I am taking Suboxone:
STOP! I know what some of you are thinking.. It's not the answer! For some, maybe not. However, for some, I think it could be. Trading one drug for another!? No, that is not the answer indeed. Which is why therapy is an important part of this execution. Also, with the severity of my situation, I feel like without medicated help I would have needed to be locked in a rehab long-term to prevent myself from relapsing. So, I am cautiously taking a Suboxone treatment from a doctor that I trust enough to work with me but I don't put my life in just his hands or anyone's but my own for that matter. I am only taking half of my prescription which is 1 8mg/2mg strip a day instead of one in the morning and 1 at night. I was taking two a day which was okay and then I started taking two at that same time once a day. This was admittedly a bad behavioral trait and I immediately changed this when I started having a reaction a few days later. I realized I need to just stop fucking around and take this seriously and not ruin my life. I am taking 1 strip a day storing up the second so that I can taper off and if I ever do get cravings in the future or possibly attempt to relapse I am only relapsing on Suboxone instead of the numerous hard drugs I was involved in. This is a much better fallback plan than cold-turkey and crossing my fingers. Sorry, I feel like this needed an in-depth explanation on my perspective and I will be documenting my progress.

Going to Therapy:
This will provide a lot of benefits for me that I never really considered before. There are many different types of therapy for all kinds of situations that a person may encounter in life. I am pleased to say that I am not opposed to the help that is available out there but I also know that you have to be careful when choosing who guides your mental state. It's very scary and difficult to be considered unstable from a social perspective while you have to figure out who is going to take partial responsibility in guiding you out. You have no idea who to trust, you have no idea where to turn or what it will be like.. With that being said, I am taking the first steps to figuring this process out and I do that for the first time later today. These mental disorders have only become annoying obstacles in my path and I plan to overcome them, each and every one. I don't know all the types of therapy I need but I do know I am talking to multiple sources and some of them are retired/nonbeneficiary to the situation whereas some of them would be getting paid by insurance, etc if I was to partake in their services. This is something that I think will help me learn how to develop healthy mental exercises and ways towards a productive release of stress. It will prevent me from relying solely on Suboxone. I will only need it until I feel more comfortable with my life and get to the point where I can prove to myself that I no longer need it. I think I will see more of this through the reflection of my peers, support group, therapist and listening to each of their outer perspective's. I need to sustain this successful mindset and productive way of life. Eventually, insurance may not cover these things and so, I plan on committing to paying for this in a budgeted manor as I am more stable with a job, etc.

Looking for 1 job:
So I am looking for one job now part-time maybe a full-time while I fix computers on the side for $40 a job depending on the work that is.. I charge no less than $20, average $40, I don't think I would ever charge over $50-$60 unless it was something really really unique and a pain in the ass. (Teaching a parent how to proof their internet / secure network and monitor kids usage, etc) Anyway, the point is I am taking on less and focusing on my interests in a way that I can turn into a possible business and advance my future. I am at the bottom but it is not like I have not started here before. I am not even certified nor licensed and I can pull work just word of mouth and from my known experience.. I just need to focus more on this and I can turn it into something tangible. Focusing on an easy bread and butter job to get the bills paid and keep the lights on while I develop this new business venture.

I should go back to school:
I haven't started this process yet but I am going to focus on it more. We will get into that later.

I will utilize this as a Recovery Journal:
I want to utilize BlueLight as a Recovery Journal and keep a record of my experience and document my life and emotional state from each post. I will archive them myself and keep them to look back on for years to come. I never liked to write so this will be like my own personal journal. I really should commit to this and I am going to try really hard to stick with it this time throughout the entire 2018 year.

I gave up my keys:
Last time I blew up within a week and got my keys-back. Yes, I found jobs and did all this good stuff without relapsing.. However, I still didn't do it right. Today I gave up my keys for roughly 30 days. The second week in I admitted to my family when I relapsed twice during the first week on the drug of choice I used. From there I struggled and emotionally went up and down fighting a bit but I got myself to get on the phone and schedule a Dr.'s appointment. I for the next week waiting for that first appointment was using 3 different drugs to keep me from falling back into the depts of the other one and giving up on the treatment altogether. I made it to the doctors got my prescription and thus made it the full 30-days without leaving the house. I co-operated with my family and I told them everything that happened because I wanted to heal and I really did want treatment. I lost control and I was incapable of doing it on my own by this point. So, giving up my keys was really necessary. I have no gotten my keys back and I still have not left the house without a family and it's usually in their car.. I am not forced to do it that way, I just am really trying not to make bad choices and it's healthy to resist the temptations of jumping back into the world so soon alone.

Nobody lives here but the family now:
I no longer have room-mates. My brother is the only person living in the house we both share and I have the close support of my mother helping me with those bills while sustaining her own house on top of that right now since this recent public coming out about my addiction and need of help. I have job offers and am jumping on them now so I do not freeload off my mother, that is not the type of person I am and every day I thank her for her help. I plan to repay her everything she put into this revival process of my life in some-way when I can afford to. We will find a way to bring balance.. I love you mom, thank you so much for being the person you are! Even if you don't know I wrote this... Maybe one day I will show you the archives and we will read them together.

I have cut off any and all drug connections:
I got rid of my phone. I stopped hanging out with everyone and banned everyone from coming over that was involved with or interested in bringing/using drugs. Everyone who came to my house after the two-week sobriety mark was clean and an active supportive person in my group. This was very hard to do because I cared about a lot of those people. A lot of them don't understand why I just dropped them even though I got clean. It makes no sense because I am family to them..I can't afford for those who are distant family to bring me down due to their poor life choices and my lack of ability to prevent a relapse. So, I cut them all off and I started over with all the people I knew before I was a major addict.

I am making new friends that have good qualities and are honest:
I am now developing healthier friends through different avenues. It has done a lot to keep me from losing my mind and I make sure that the friends I have all lead stable lives, with jobs, etc. I still go to AA meetings and my treatment programs but I keep all these social events separated from my personal life's social events. I think it's important to make that a distinct separation in my life personally. Although I am very supportive of the AA group and I know that they are good people. I just can't risk being too involved with people outside the meeting.

I will update this list as I think more about it and compare/contrast the differences and add what is missing as I see fit.

I really want to give an in-depth description of what I went through emotionally and physically during this experience and express how I think I have learned from it. Maybe information that I provide in here can help others in some way or at least myself if that is all it ends up being. I appreciate all who have read this and took the time to respond on top of it. It is nice that someone may find this beneficial to them and to hear the support of others. Thank you guys, I love this place and the community. I appreciate everything!

Update 3/7/2018 @ 10:34PM: Well, today was a really good day. I got to go to my first therapy session with a really unique and new approach that I have never seen before. After going in there to just consult with them I ended up signing myself onto some courses within the first half hour. I loved the environment, the energy of the people, and the methodology they were using in their treatment program. I told them that I am currently on Suboxone and that I don't want to be dependant on this medication and for now I am just sort of shoving the withdrawal date ahead a bit until I am ready to cope. They want to try Neurofeedback Therapy and Cognitive Behavior Therapy with me and go from there.

Basically, they want to train me on how to identify my thought patterns and neurological triggers, how to reset these triggers, and the process used to retrain them in order to adapt your behavior. Very interesting stuff, it definitely was not like the traditional Psychotherapy you see in the movies haha. I just needed to find a place I felt comfortable and I totally did. Thank you all for your kind words. I figured I would post my last use dates in my signature to remember that I am not going back and how far I have made it.

Update 3/8/2018 @ 5:30AM: What's up guys! Great news! It's been a great morning today and I have been trying to contain all the excitement like I was a kid about to go to Disney Land! It's amazing the things that excite us as adults vs. when we were kids. Anyway, here is the good news! I HAVE A JOB! I just got hired today on the spot. Remember how I was telling you about making new friends? Well, I made a new friend we will call her "Samantha" for the purpose of this journal. Samantha and I met online and decided to meet in person on the 21st of February this year. It was really awkward for both of us at first because we just met and we both had a lot of things going on. I met up with her to help her with some files to fix her computer so I basically met up with her to do that and left. We ended up hanging out two more times after that, at the fair and then again at my house yesterday.

This morning I logged in to my Skype to see a message from her that made my entire morning light up

Samantha Says:
3/7/2018 @1:12PM: "Well, good luck with doing so, you're pretty smart so I imagine you'll do fine. Also, did you want me to print out an application & bring it to you one day, or do you wanna come get it at some point yourself? Or were you gonna try to do/have you already done it online?"

3/7/2018 @2:26PM: "Oh just to let you know, I mentioned I had a friend that's looking for a job & they seem pretty willing to hire you if you're still interested. They're trying to hire a lot of people right now because they're gonna be renting out a buffet at the resort"

You see that guys!? Not only is she an awesome friend, but she got me a job! This is why you need to get yourself away from those negative influencers. She doesn't drink, smoke, associate with those who use hard drugs or do illegal things. This is the basis to all the new people that I involve with my life now and it's doing wonders for me.

3/11/2018 @11:04PM: Today I went in for 4 hours to get some anxiety cleared away before my first day. I start tomorrow (Monday) and I am so happy that I went in today to get more of a feel for the place. The boss likes me and so does my supervisor. I am the only other server there that is above 21 years of age and can serve alcohol to customers, so that helps a lot. Can't wait to start tomorrow and finish my first training day. Also, my training is paid so I get $8.50/hour during training which is awesome!

I am interested in becoming a drug guiding councilor in the future. I can start as an advocate like one of my fellow recovered ex-addicted mentors. I've cut off all the people to get the drugs from but I still need to get more therapy and finish more of my classes before I consider becoming an advocate and help others.

I have one friend who is trying to quit and has been teetering back and forth. I told him today that he needs to get off it if he wants to hang around me and I would do my best to help him get to treatment/programs as long as he stays clean. However, I won't enable him to get high and I won't be around to risk my own life for somebody who does not care about myself or their own enough to go the extra mile.

I have had cravings. It is difficult but I use my known working coping methods to shove them out of my mind and keep them buried under the focus I have for the important things ahead. I have to constantly stay distracted with my job as a focus and when I am not working I have to focus on my friends and family. Outside of the social coping mechanism I use, I have the activities I do that I am passionate about such as playing the piano, freestyle-lyricism, and producing music.

I fixed a computer the other day and made $30. So, I am trying to branch out my computer-technical skills around town to have some more extra income to invest back into my business. I want to get licensed and open up a mobile computer repair business. This is expected to take 6-months to a year coincidentally the same amount of time it takes to become an advocate for drug counseling.

That's a little bit more about what's going on now and how I am doing. I will update you guys again sometime next week or if I get too busy and tired I will make sure to update you guys with miniature updates during the week and a final major update during the weekend. Good luck too all those out there reading this and I hope you all accomplish everything you are trying to do in your life!

Thanks for the support guys, I will keep posting back here and let you know some more updates.

Last edited:
Great job Jerry <3. I am going through it myself. You are ahead of me. I appreciate you posting your experience.

I have an appt w a sub Dr. on March 23rd. I'm limping though- just trying to get to the appt.

You're plan of action is awesome. Good work. I look forward to your future posts.

Great thread! Sharing strategies and opening up discussions about all the crossovers and unique paths of recovery and personal growth (they cannot be separated!) is always a positive thing for everyone. You are really tackling this in a wonderfully holistic way.<3

Just posted my first update on the thread today. Went in to get evaluated and to get consulted on my therapy.

Good job Jerry!

You're doing amazing and that is great news about the job. I wish you nothing but the best my friend.

Your kicking azz buddy!
I am looking into neurofeedback meself.
It?s expensive, but my sanity is worth it.
I sent u a friend request so I could pm you and ask u a few questions.

You are doing a great job! Sometimes I wish there had been more help around when I still had my life in front of me, but I wasn't anywhere near ready then. Still, it's great to hear about young people seeing the light while they still can do anything! Keep it up, dude!

I just made update 3/11/2018 so you guys can check that new one out! Thanks, all of you for the support D_K1984 , Beenbetter , and LopLover for your recent responses. Thanks to everyone for viewing and all of you who have posted at the beginning here. You all are awesome! Thank you so much. This is why I post my journal here, it inspires by all of your support.