• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Waking Up (Sleep Issues)

llama112

Bluelight Crew
I have plenty of issues myself (including insomnia) however this is more a question for both myself and partner. I have difficulties waking up due to the sleeping meds I'm on (I have a couple different prescriptions and go between benzos, Seroquel, and dipenhydramine), it's the Seroquel that is the worst for me and I have missed appointments because of it. In fact, when my ex had keys to my apartment, maintenance people knocked on my door for over an hour until my ex could make it over, they fixed something, and still I didn't wake up. But I generally just sleep for 10 hours max (usually only 7 or 8 but max 10). My boyfriend doesn't take any medication at all, he doesn't have any mental health issues. And he's an adult, over 30 years old, but we just moved in together relatively recently. But he cannot wake up in the morning. The alarm will go off for an hour without him waking up (I'll be in a separate room and hear it). And his alarm is pretty loud. Once (on a weekend, no work) he slept for 20 hours. He wasn't lacking sleep or anything at that point but just slept for 20 hours.

I mean, louder alarms, alarms across the room, I know those are ideas, I don't know if there are any other ideas.

We both need to develop better sleeping habits (same times every day) but we are working on that, so I'll admit that's a work in progress.

But any suggestions on adults having difficulties waking up in the morning?

Have some kids? I've heard they work...

I have a dog, he lets me know if it's almost light outside.

On a lightly more serious note, I have had this as an issue caused by irregular sleep duty rotations when I was serving. Only thing that worked every single time was a small bottle with water and a little lemon juice that I would spray into my face the moment the alarm went off. No snoozing for five minutes, and the mild acid in your eyes thing will do wonders for helping wake you up. Hope that's of some benefit. :)

I was unable to continue taking Seroquel because of this.
I couldn't even move in the mornings and I was a barista, try getting to work at 4:00 am in a Seroquel haze!

Getting enough sleep and keeping the alarm clock on the other side of the room help me get up consistently instead of sleeping in.

llama,

If you?re on the ER (Extended Release) version of Seroquel, switching to non-ER Seroquel may be your answer. I had the same problem waking up, horrid Seroquel ?hangover,? etc.

For me, switching to regular Seroquel wasn?t enough. I was still too sedated.

I take Geodon and I sleep great and wake up refreshed...no hangover. Have you tried Geodon? It?s available in generic...starts with a Z. You need to eat 500 calories with it in order for it to metabolize properly. (You actually can ?adjust? your dose by eating fewer calories, say, if you needed to wake up earlier or something. I read about this in a peer-reviewed article and it does work......I tried eating 250 calories and took my regular dose....and it was like 50% if that makes sense. It comes in handy if I have only, say, 6 hours to sleep one night instead of my regular 9.).

Another option is Abilify (also available in generic) ... it?s considered activating. I took it for several months. I had to take Cogentin the first couple of weeks, as I had akathesia (it was awful, but Cogentin wiped it out nearly immediately and I was able to go off Cogentin). I remember Abilify being rough as to initial side effects but after a couple of weeks, it was a good med.

My boyfriend also used to take Seroquel and couldn?t deal with waking up in the morning. He was very dizzy to the point he couldn?t drive. However, I know people that do ok on Seroquel and higher dosages actually decreased sedation. My psychiatrist mentioned that, too.

I?ce been on Geodon for awhile so I imagine there are newer options out there. I hope that you find something suitable for you....Seroquel and mornings just sucked for me. Take care.

I've been an insomniac for as long as I can remember. I have prescription sedatives out the wazoo but I try not to overmedicate myself for the reasons you described. I eventually made peace with the insomnia and when I do have the occasional sleepless night I don't try and fight it, I just figure I'll sleep when I need it. My therapist cautioned against laying in bed worrying about not being able to sleep because eventually the mind will come to associate the bed with wakefulness. He recommended using the bed only for sleeping or sex, but I don't have to worry about the latter at the moment ;)

When I quit adderall and go to sleep at night I can sleep for a long time as long as 14 hours without waking up anyone have advice?

I would try some natural remedies to help me to get some sleep instead of chemestry with do you only worth in the long run. Ofcause natural stuff not gonna help you over the night, but bit by bit it will. I believe bad sleep its alot to do with your nerve system so try to look after that. Try not to take anything you may not get any sleep for few nights but in the end you will... Hope you sort your problem out. Good luck!!

also, ammonia ampules or smelling salts. that shit will wake you up. i keep these things all over my house, a few in my car if i get sleepy. get them cheap on that online major retailer

Does your boyfriend work a lot on week days? If he's doing hard labor all week maybe his body just needs that to recover. If its a constant problem he should probably see a dr tho.