• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2018/2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to both teams... can't believe that old geezer did it again Ali! Hell of a day. Hope the super bowl is half as good as these games today.

WHOSE HOUSE??

REFS HOUSE!

lmao. Saints had it coming to them

congrats cap....

it's always the refs' house and no one realizes it until they grow up and see the refs pull a lot of bad calls in a single game

but then by the time you're frothing at the mouth with logic-based rage, your children will see this as wildly emotional and not fully understand how fucked the refs are.

The refs probably make more $$$ than the actual NFL players placing strategic bets they can manipulate the outcome of with their own calls.

The NFL works under the same license as professional wrestling. I hate NFL officiating and to say they can't fix it is a flagrant lie. I just do my best to ignore it, but I can only do my best.

lol, explain why it's dumb. What did I say that's not true? No qb gets the calls Brady does, that is historical fact. It's also just true that their division is weak as shit and has been forever.

Kind of funny all this talk about luck, then both games go to a coin flip...

I was mainly talking about your comment around it being lucky for him to play his entire career in the AFC East. His post season record debunks that theory.

And these days, all qb’s get calls. That roughing the passer call last night was hysterical, but it didn’t win the game. Brady’s absolutely filthy drive in OT ultimately won the game.

Hard to argue that he’s the goat

"His post season record debunks that theory"

does it though? Think about it. Maybe he's the goat, maybe he isn't. Maybe if Aaron or Drew got to play the jets, bills, and dolphins twice every year...maybe they'd be the goat. Look back at New England's schedule. I mean really. Look. They played Chicago on OCTOBER the 21st and then had a TEN WEEK stretch versus non playoff teams. Hmm I wonder... does something like that help or hurt a teams chances going into the postseason? Over the same span, their opponents the Chargers played 3 playoff teams... the Chiefs played 4. Interesting.

I bet Tom can taste those hamberders now. Better start getting your order ready now, Mr. President.

fAxiMDO.jpg

LOL

Like I said the refs have been very hard on the Rams this year.

This is hilarious.

Thanks for sharing mal. That brightened my day. There's graceful fans like you and then there's the crybabies who can't get over the fact that the Saints weren't going to the superbowl this year. There's always next year.

The Patriots benefit from playing in a weak division. Half a season of pushover games then guaranteed home games at least until the AFCCG. They are good but they have done it under favorable conditions.

the pats vs. chiefs game was incredible. utterly nerve shattering.

brady's 3rd-and-long completions to edelman down the middle in the final winning drive were something else.

i'm not surprised to hear the 'patriots are only good because they play in a weak division' talk. haters gonna hate.

the fact is the patriots make the afc look like a weak division because they have been so dominant but they also dominate outside their division. since 2001 the pts record outside their division is as good as in the division. the make their route to the playoff slook easy.

this year, the miami dolphins beat the bears the titans and the patriots. the jets were pretty bad but still beat the broncos and the colts. the bills finished with a poor 6-10 record but they went into minnesota and beat them on the road.

if you dig deeper into the numbers, it holds up e.g.

Debunking the Myth of the Easy AFC East
Believe It Or Not, AFC East Is One Of NFL’s Strongest Divisions
Patriots win at same rate vs. rest of NFL as they do vs. AFC East

roll on superbowl 53!

patriots opened as underdogs but slight favourites now :)

alasdair

As a neutral I can't complain. Both of those games were excellent competitions, and they both went to overtime. All I will say is refs called a "Roughing the Brady" penalty when some guy smacked him in the shoulder while he was in the pocket. That was bullshit and extended the drive on third down, Chiefs would have gotten the ball back with a lead and I could guess how it would have ended then... but oh well. Brady gets to go back again... God I hope he gets devastated again this year

Well put Alex.

So ali, how many divisions can you name that are weaker than the AFC east? Do you think the pats would have been just as dominant all these years in the nfc north or south? How does playing against Allen, tannehill, darnold, McCown, Tyrod....compare to Matt Ryan, Cam, jameis, Brees, Rodgers, cousins, bridgewater, Stafford, Trubisky?

How does playing against Allen, tannehill, darnold, McCown, Tyrod....compare to Matt Ryan, Cam, jameis, Brees, Rodgers, cousins, bridgewater, Stafford, Trubisky?

matt ryan? last time the pats played matt ryan they came back from 28-3 down to complete the greatest comeback in superbowl history and win superbowl 51. they also played them in week 7 of that season and won 23-7. i could be wrong but i believe i am right in saying that tom brady has never lost to the falcons.

cam newton? the last time the pats played the panthers was week 4 2017. they lost 30-33.

jameis winston? the last time the past played the bucs was week 5 2017. they won 19-14.

drew brees? the last time the pats played the saints was week 2 2017. they won 36-20.

aaron rodgers? last time the patriots played the packers was week 9 this season. they won 31-17.

kirk cousins? last time the pats played the vikings was week 13 this season. they won 24-10.

teddy bridgewater? i don't think the pats have ever played a team with bridgewater as qb.

matt stafford? last time the pats played the lions was week 3 this season. they lost 10-26.

mitch trubisky? last time the pats played the bears was week 7 this season. they won 38-31.

that's 7 wins and 2 losses. i'd say the patriots do incredibly well against those quarterbacks because, as i said, they also dominate outside their division.

alasdair

Yo, Ali...the Experiment is, what if Brady was in a different division. Playing those qbs and others over the course of his career. Having to compete to make the playoffs in those divisions year after year. Not just an automatic bid like it has been for NE the past decade. It doesn't really prove much to look at the last game. Btw, I never said those qbs were better than Brady. I said Brady's legacy would probably be much different had he gotten drafted somewhere other than the afc east. What about my initial question...how many divisions can you name that are weaker than afc east?

you threw the names out. it is a limited sample, obviously, but brady has dominated those qbs in the last year or two.

It doesn't really prove much to look at the last game.

i agree. but people still like to give some weight to the results of single games e.g.

Also keeping in mind the Panthers bested the Patriots in their own building

doesn't really prove much?

i think the patriots of the last 15 years been playing at an incredibly high level and would have done well in any nfl division.

What about my initial question...how many divisions can you name that are weaker than afc east?
it's a hard question to answer as it's quite dynamic. the afc south has been pretty bad. the afc west has had bad years. even the nfc north with one strong team and 3 poor teams at times.

i think it's hard to be objective which is why i posted supporting links e.g. Believe It Or Not, AFC East Is One Of NFL?s Strongest Divisions

in my experience, a lot of people don't want to hear it. they just think jets and bills and jump to conclusions. as with most things, it's a little different when you dig a little deeper.

a lot of people would argue that the afc north is one of the tougher - if not the toughest - divisions. here's the record against the afc north over the last 10 seasons:

2018 0-1
2017 1-0
2016 5-0
2015 1-0
2014 2-0
2013 3-1 (including a 55-31 victory over the steelers in week 9, the most points given up by the steelers in their history)
2012 0-2
2011 1-1
2010 3-1
2009 1-1

for a total 17-7 record. looks like the patriots would have done well in the 'incredibly tough' afc north.

so have the patriots been helped by the division they're in? probably, but not nearly to the extent some people think. and it's an academic discussion. nobody looks at tiger woods achievements and says 'sure he did well but he had it easy because phil mickleson could have played harder...

when brady moves on and belichick retires, it's possible - likely even - the patriots will enter a period of loss, rebuilding. it's been an unbelievable dynasty but at some point it'll end. football fans from around the nfl, and on here i have no doubt, will dance on their graves and laugh with glee. so i'm going to enjoy the high for now. i've seen my team win 5 superbowls and i'm hoping for another in atlanta. haters gonna hate :)

alasdair

Yeah I mean, at the end of the day he has the trophies and that trumps everything else. And you're right, haters are going to hate. What's easier to hate than a cheating teachers pet, trump supporter, aw shucks pansy that just so happens to be the most accomplished qb ever. See why don't you just say most accomplished, then it's not even up for debate...

But people have these discussions all the time. What if Lebron played in the West his whole career instead of the east? What if Curry's Golden State played in the 80s or 90s before they took all the physicality out of the game...they wouldn't be able to shoot all those threes.

Maybe if cam cam played in the afc east he would have dived on that ball in the SB. Lol I burned myself.

oh sure, i get that. but it's academic. 50 years from now, people will look back on brady's 8 superbowl rings and he'll simply be the greatest of all time. period.

:)

alasdair

Status
Not open for further replies.