• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2018/2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
how else would you measure greatness if not by accomplishments?

interested in your distinction of 'best/greatest' vs. 'most accomplished'?

alasdair

Greatest is subjective. Most accomplished isn't. You could say one quarterback with 3 championships was greater than another quarterback with 5 because he has more passing yards...or because the teams he won with were far lass talented. You could not look at championships at all, and just look at straight up career stats. Is Eli Manning greater than drew brees because he won one more Super Bowl ?

accomplishment can include many metrics, not just rings.

i think if you look at a wide spectrum of metrics: touchdowns; yards; completions; rating; wins; winning percentage; mvps; etc. from the regular season, playoffs and superbowls, brady is the greatest.

i think some people just hate the idea of admitting it :)

alasdair

Brady gets drafted to the raiders...stays there for 20 years...still the goat?

what if you were never born? you can't even ask that question.

but if he was drafted to the raiders and was there 20 years, i doubt it.

but he wasn't drafted to the raiders. he went to the pats. the rest is goat history.

alasdair

See that's what I'm thinking. It's not so much Brady himself. It's Brady and Belichick and the rest of the team and the organization. I think you put Brees into that exact situation and he's the goat. Why not just say the Pats are the best team of all time? I don't get why it has to be specificlaly Brady.

why can't it be both?

the pats are the best.

he's the best.

:)

put brees in his situation, he probably would have been the best? but he wasn't. so he isn't.

alasdair

This is what happens when stoners talk sports.

In other news, the fallout saints melt is making me happy as fuck. So much butthurt. Lawsuits, billboards, omfg. I’m loving every minute of this.

why can't it be both?the pats are the best.he's the best.:)put brees in his situation, he probably would have been the best? but he wasn't. so he isn't.alasdair
Wouldn't it have been neat to see Brees vs Brady, the highest stakes, both with great teams around them? Oh well, NFL made sure that wouldn't happen. Nope, Brady gets to play 24 year old Jared Goff...

what does his age have to do with it? brady won his first superbowl at age 24 against the older, more experienced kurt warner...

you're genuinely suggesting that the nfl engineered this to give brady an easier ride? how did they engineer drew brees' pivotal interception in overtime?

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

alasdair

Lol or maybe I'm just fucking with you. Tom Brady really is boring. He should get a face tattoo or something.

man, i can see a brady hater saying a lot of things about him but boring? he's not boring. cam newton wishes he was that 'boring' :)

alasdair

Thanks to Andy Reid and Saints nation, whining is the new national pastime of the 'No Fair League'

that piece said:
Sorry, but the official did the absolute correct thing, dropping the flag immediately upon the snap. Was Tom Brady going to get warned that Ford had an illegal advantage and thus might be more capable of sacking him, pressuring him or altering the play?

If the ref had refused to call the penalty, then he would have been choosing to ignore a clear violation out of what … sensitivity to the inevitable hurt feelings of Dee Ford since this was a game of a certain magnitude? Please.

Yet here we are, not disputing the actual call but the pre-snap kindness and courteousness of the refs.

Whining is the new national pastime. Or maybe it’s just an old one. It’s certainly popular these days. The refs stole this. The refs stole that. The refs are corrupt. The league office is dictating the calls. The TV networks want this team to win or that team to win.

alasdair

how is simply posting a link whining? :\

it was a non-sequitor in the thread but topical given all the online chat about 'that call' so i figured i'd post it...

alasdair

I don't know if it was conspiracy but it is interesting that the Rams got a gift package to the Superbowl at a time when the NFL is struggling to get back in LA. Personally I'm happy because I fucking hate the Saints but it is a little phishy

I always am quick to write off conspiracy theories in professional sports. Except maybe boxing.

Who can expect an entire team to get on board with losing? It would look so obvious, too. The only subtle way to swing a game is with refereeing, and only then they have only so much power. Sure, a new first down could change a game, but that's what challenges are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.