• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2018/2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not feeling real confident about beating the Falcons tonight. We have a ton of players injured on offense and we have looked like trash in the preseason. The stadium is going to be hyped for the SB banner drop though.

Yeah I think it should be a good game. If Big D has a big night, and he continues to win, are they really gonna bench him? I mean, I guess they have to, but that must suck for him.

Yeah Carson is the future everyone in the locker room knows that. Nick could have left for a starting job if he desired but he came back as the backup willingly

ESPN picking the Dolphins to finish 32nd out of 32 teams is a bit of a stretch by ESPN. Our roster is almost definitely better than the bottom 10 teams in the league.

As you guys know, I'm generally a pessimist, but we finished 6-10 last year with Jay Cutler playing his worst Jay Cutler-ball of all time. That's not too bad, all things considered.

The only position we are demonstrably weaker in than last year is defensive tackle, and I don't even think we are all that weak there. We are much stronger and deeper at defensive end as well, to make up for it. Linebacker is still going to be a problem, unless our two rookies manage to really step it up by the time the season starts.

Also, people be sleeping on Tannehill. He was playing very well at the end of 2016. He may not be elite, but he is pretty good, and people treat him like he is trash. There are far worse QB situations one could find themselves in in this league.

Personally, i think we are a borderline playoff team. Between 8-8 and10-6 is my call. We may not have as much star power as the more elite NFL teams right now, but we have a pretty solid roster, with our only legitimate soft spot being our linebacking corp.

My guess is that we are ranked so low because we generate so little hype. That, or people overstate the losses of Suh and Landry, who were great players for sure, but both demanded bloated contracts, and the money we saved was used to replace them with good or solid players at a number of positions, creating a more solid roster overall.

It's definitely the memory of Cutler and the losses you mentioned. But last in the nfl? I doubt it.

Eagles defense was impressive last night.

if they go 10-6 which 10 games do you see them winning?

alasdair

I never feel comfortable making such predictions at the beginning of a season, tbh. The landscape of the NFL is so topsy-turvy from season to season, making it nearly impossible to accurately project which teams will be good or bad on a large scale.

Even the Patriots are susceptible to a potential losing season, should Tom Brady get injured and miss the season.

I think we are strong enough to win 8-10 games this season, depending upon some ball bounces and just how tough our SoS turns out to be. We are not only stronger than we were at this time last year (where preseason injuries had already ravaged our roster), but we are much better overall than we were two years ago, when we went 10-6 and made the playoffs. I also happen to think that Gase is a good coach who knows how to optimize his roster and get his team prepared.

oh, i understand. i also agree on gase.

but you think 8-10 games? take a look at their schedule - which 8-10 games do you think they're strong enough to win?

alasdair

oh, i understand. i also agree on gase.

but you think 8-10 games? take a look at their schedule - which 8-10 games do you think they're strong enough to win?

alasdair

I mean, I highly doubt we beat Green Bay, assuming they are back in form this year, and almost for sure we lose at least one game, probably both, to the Patriots. Outside of that, I think we are probably demonstrably better than about 3-4 of the teams we play, including possibly the Jets who we play twice. I see the remaining games as tossups.

It's fuckin Sunday people

giphy.gif

I cashed in a motherfuckin free trial of youtube tv and I'm ready to go.

Lol @ the Titans-Dolphins game being the longest in the history of the league.

Also lol @ the Brown's first non-loss since 2016 coming in the form of a tie.

Could be, butt ugg is all I can express right now. Fortunately Mack is in shit condition, but has been crushing. Aarons injury initially seems more problematic than devastating. Hopefully a couple weeks.

SO here we go.. now what we going to do.. 2nd half we flip the script and take it by three or four. Hopefully McCarthy throws out his scripted initial shit play calling eventually, but that neither here or there as its not going to happen. GB might be against it as of first half game one. Shit though lets see what second half has in store.

Last edited:
Great game.. fine comeback. I like all fans lose some time off my life in games like these. Well onto game two, in a division that seems totally up in the air at this point.

Edit: how cool is Aarons woman?

Last edited:
you think games against vikings and away at jags are toss ups?

alasdair

Absolutely, at least from what little we can infer by this point in the season. They were very good teams last year, but this is a new year. It is generally unsafe to assume that a team will match or exceed the level of success it saw the previous season.

well, we'll see. kenny stills helped me to a win in fantasy this week so yay for him :)

alasdair

Status
Not open for further replies.