• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2018/2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I'd have to agree to agree with you there. Pats did nothing to hurt themselves in the short term so they should be 2.

Breaking: David Tepper to purchase Carolina Panthers.

tepper-david-51418-usnews-getty-ftr_eoymeoyajz511uan8hatu64xi.jpg

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBNG) -- David Tepper, a minority owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, has finalized a deal to purchase the Carolina Panthers, a source close to the situation told Tyler Feldman of 12 Sports on Monday. The deal is reportedly worth between $2.1 and $2.5 billion.
Tepper, who is the founder of Appaloosa Management, is worth an estimated $11 billion.
There are two remaining steps Tepper must complete before his purchase of the Panthers is official:

1. Sell his five percent minority stake in the Pittsburgh Steelers
  2. Get approved by 75 percent of the NFL owners
12 Sports reached out to the Carolina Panthers but was told that the team is not taking calls at this time regarding ownership.
According to ESPN's David Newton, Tepper was in Charlotte last Wednesday to meet with team officials.
The Carolina Panthers were put up for sale last season, following sexual harassment and racial misconduct allegations against owner Jerry Richardson.
Tepper attended Peabody High School and is a graduate Carnegie Mellon University, where the business school is named after him. He is also a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh.

I have read several places that he plans to keep the Panthers in Carolina.

So much for P.Diddy and Steph Curry :\. Looks like another lame-o rich dude. Doubt he'll have any trouble getting the votes. Eh...all I care about at the end of the day is that we're one step closer to putting this shit behind us and moving on.

Last edited:
The Cleveland Browns will be featured on the upcoming season of Hard Knocks on HBO.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/5/17/17278368/browns-hard-knocks-hbo-announced-nfl

SBNATION said:
On Thursday, the NFL is expected to announce that the Cleveland Browns will be featured on the next season of HBO’s Hard Knocks. They were one of six teams that couldn’t decline being the subject of this upcoming season, as per the NFL’s rules.Those rules were simple: teams don’t have to be on the show if they have a first-year head coach, have been in a playoff game in the past two seasons, or have appeared on Hard Knocks in the past 10 years. That left the Browns, 49ers, Broncos, Chargers, Ravens and Washington.
We’re hopeful the Browns can provide more excitement than in recent seasons of the show. Last season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had its moments, but was so-so overall. The year before, starring the Los Angeles Rams, was perhaps, the dullest season of Hard Knocks yet.
The Browns, coming off an 0-16 season, have been so bad for so long and have several potentially interesting storylines entering 2018. Here’s what we want to see when the new season of Hard Knocks debuts in August:

1. Behind the scenes for one of the NFL’s most dysfunctional franchises

The Browns are one of the most unstable franchises in the league. They have churned through head coaches, general managers, starting quarterbacks, and have an owner who has his share of non-football problems.
Head coach Hue Jackson is their attempt to establish something even remotely along the lines of stability and synergy — and he’s posted a 1-31 record over the past two seasons. Many thought he would be fired this past offseason, but the Browns are taking one last grasp at keeping this crew together before they hit the big red button, which presumably is prominently featured on Jimmy Haslam’s desk with the words “FIRE COACH” on it.
Jackson is an interesting character himself, and seeing him either rise to the occasion in what is a make-or-break year or completely fall apart would make for good viewing.
We don’t want him to fail for our amusement, though it should be fascinating to see if any of that dysfunction will appear on the show. Surely, there will be plenty of it to film, but whether or not it makes it past editing is the real question.

2. Building the Browns should be fun, even when it’s bad

It’s not like we’re rooting for chaos. The Browns coming off well and gaining some support from the general NFL fan base would be great to see! They’re underdogs (even if it’s mostly their fault), and presenting a likable team would be a win for the Browns.
They’re trying to build an actual team, too. They traded for several notable players this offseason, including quarterback Tyrod Taylor, wide receiver Jarvis Landry, and safety Damarious Randall. Then they added potential immediate contributors like Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, and Nick Chubb in the draft. Now Jackson has to sell the locker room on believing in what he’s trying to do.

3. Hue Jackson will jump into Lake Erie, and that might make the broadcast

At the end of the the 2016 season, Jackson promised that the team would not be 1-15 again.
“No. I’ll be swimming in that lake [Erie] over there somewhere. That’s not happening,” Jackson said.
The Browns went 0-16, worse than the season prior, and Jackson has said he still plans to keep his promise and jump into Lake Erie. He said he was waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer. Last week, the club announced Jackson would take the plunge on June 1 — and donate $100 to charity for each team staffer that joined him. Razzing the coach could be for a good team-building exercise. Especially punctuated by Jackson promising the Browns will improve so he doesn’t have to do it again.

4. Welcome to the NFL, Baker Mayfield

The Browns shocked quite a few people when they selected Baker Mayfield with the first overall pick in the draft. Love him or hate him, Mayfield has all the confidence and personality to make for good viewing.
Mayfield could turn a lot of people around on him, and those that are already sold should enjoy seeing what the Browns have in store for their first-year quarterback. Mayfield isn’t lacking confidence, and whether you want to see him humbled with a “welcome to the NFL” moment or you want to see him prove his doubters wrong from the get-go, he should be fun to watch.
While Mayfield isn’t guaranteed the starting job by any means, we’ll still get to see his competition with Tyrod Taylor, a quarterback who always seemed to get the raw end of the deal with the Buffalo Bills. Sign me up.

5. John Dorsey failing to hide his disdain for being on Hard Knocks

Not many teams actually want to be on Hard Knocks. New Browns GM John Dorsey made it clear earlier in May that he was no exception.
“I don’t think there’s anything good that comes out of Hard Knocks, but we’ll see,” he said on ESPN Cleveland 850.
Dorsey deserves credit for helping the Browns make moves this offseason, but likely to his chagrin, he couldn’t keep the team off the show. He’ll probably have to be on the series at some point, and when he does, maybe he’ll play ball. Or even better, maybe he’ll roll his eyes throughout.

6. A Joe Thomas cameo

This March, Browns stalwart left tackle Joe Thomas decided to call it a career. Thomas is a funny guy and he hosts a weekly podcast with another former Brown, Andrew Hawkins. So we hope he’ll make an appearance — even if all he does is make a silly face.

7. Myles Garrett talking about dinosaurs

One of the only highlights of the Rams’ season on Hard Knocks was when Will Hayes discussed dinosaurs — specifically, how he doesn’t believe they ever existed. Myles Garrett, the Browns’ 2017 No. 1 pick, has also been known to talk about dinosaurs. Unlike Hayes, though, Garrett is a huge fan of them.
Even if the topic of dinosaurs doesn’t come up, the show should make it a point to spotlight Garrett. He’s a unique dude with a lot of interests and he has the potential to be a breakout star this season — both on the field and on Hard Knocks.

"It was unfortunate that on-field protests created a false perception among many that thousands of NFL players were unpatriotic. This is not and was never the case."

unfortunate indeed.

alasdair

For Immediate Release
May 23, 2018

NFLPA Statement on New Anthem Policy​

The NFL chose to not consult the union in the development of this new “policy.” NFL players have shown their patriotism through their social activism, their community service, in support of our military and law enforcement and yes, through their protests to raise awareness about the issues they care about.

The vote by NFL club CEOs today contradicts the statements made to our player leadership by Commissioner Roger Goodell and the Chairman of the NFL’s Management Council John Mara about the principles, values and patriotism of our League.

Our union will review the new “policy” and challenge any aspect of it that is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement.

I don't think this is going to turn out very well...

As a fan of the Seahawks it looks like we're gonna have a rough season this year. I gotta lotta faith in Pete but this just might be a rebuild year for the hawks sadly

As a fan of the Seahawks it looks like we're gonna have a rough season this year. I gotta lotta faith in Pete but this just might be a rebuild year for the hawks sadly

I was just reading this about players not having faith in Pete.

It will be odd seeing Richard Sherman playing against the Seahawks this season.

who wants to bet the 49ers finish the season with a better record than the seahawks?

alasdair

Clay was pitching for a charity softball game and took a rocket to the face. He needs surgery to his nose. Next year maybe a pitching screen. Nothing wrong with a bit of ugly for blond locks, but I'm sure he is not fkn happy. Hope he is ok and heals fast.

Damn! I thought they normally didn't allow them to do that type of thing. Contractually I mean. Most of the time I think they go overboard with it, but I guess this is a perfect example of why they might be right.

wait, are you a warriors fan? You like the raiders... but then you like the pats...Celtics? Hmmm...
my first home in the u.s. was boston so i'm a red sox and pats fan first and foremost.

but i live here now and i like to go see an nfl game every season if i can. so my 'west coast' team is the raiders.

i don't really watch basketball at all but i guess if i had to choose, i'd go with the warriors because oakland :)

alasdair

So what do you think of Gruden then? Very expensive...hope he's worth it.

i hope so too. i'm a big fan of john gruden - i hope he does well.

let's make some bold predictions for the upcoming season:

1. the 49ers win more games than the seahawks (and finish 2nd in the nfc west)
2. the jets win more games than the dolphins
3. the chargers win the afc west ('sup dwe)
4. the browns win at least 5 games
5. leading wr (yards) will be deandre hopkins
6. leading te (tds) will be jimmy graham

what you got?

alasdair

^ I'll get back to that, but it's my job as newsman of this thread to break the following

Report: Julian Edelman Facing 4-Game Suspension for Violating PED Policy

New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman is reportedly facing a four-game NFL suspension for a violation of the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Adam Schefter and Field Yates of ESPN reported the news Friday and noted the ban is in the appeal process.

Edelman missed the entire 2017 season after suffering a torn ACL during the preseason.
The 32-year-old Kent State product said Tuesday his rehab has been "good" and said the recovery is "one of those things where each step you take, you're prepared for that step."

"Any time you get to go out and see the fellas, play with them, talk with them, be in the huddle and look at guys, and participate in drills, that's what you play the game for ultimately," he told reporters. "It was tough to watch it on the sidelines last year. To come out here and do little things, strap on the helmet, it put some perspective on how lucky you are to get to play the game."

Edelman made 98 catches for 1,106 yards and three touchdowns while playing all 16 games in 2016. He's tallied 425 receptions for 4,540 yards and 24 scores since the Pats selected the converted quarterback in the seventh round of the 2009 draft.

The California native is also one of the New England players to showcase his work with Alex Guerrero, the personal trainer of quarterback Tom Brady.

In December, Bob Hohler of the Boston Globe reported Patriots head coach Bill Belichick "stripped Guerrero of his special team privileges," meaning he could no longer travel on the team jet, be on the sideline during games or treat players other than Brady at Gillette Stadium.

If the suspension is upheld, Edelman would miss games against the Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins. He'd be eligible to return for the team's Week 5 clash with the Indianapolis Colts.

do we need to revise our posts in the receiver thread ali? I'd imagine Edelman would have banked some serious yards against those first four teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.