• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2018/2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly complaining about stregnth of schedule in the NFL is a bit disingenuous. Outside maybe the worst 5 teams everybody has players and everyone is going to get up for a game against the Pats. Being on top gets you everybody's best shot which I think my Eagles are finding out the hard way. That said I don't think New England is as good as they where last year but someone is going to have to beat the mystic off of them. Until then they are the favorites.

I'm not sure if the Eagles make the playoffs. We just don't look explosive on offense for whatever reason. Injuries hurt and I think losing Legarret Blount was big. I would of kept him over Sproles who can't stay on the field

i don't know anything about him.

alasdair

His names Eric Reid... he was on the 49ers with Colin Kaepernick ... the first to join the protest with Kap... went to the pro bowl in 2013...has an open collusion case against the NFL.

he seems like a playmaker to me. I think he'll be a really good addition

Honestly complaining about stregnth of schedule in the NFL is a bit disingenuous. Outside maybe the worst 5 teams everybody has players and everyone is going to get up for a game against the Pats. Being on top gets you everybody's best shot which I think my Eagles are finding out the hard way. That said I don't think New England is as good as they where last year but someone is going to have to beat the mystic off of them. Until then they are the favorites.

I'm not sure if the Eagles make the playoffs. We just don't look explosive on offense for whatever reason. Injuries hurt and I think losing Legarret Blount was big. I would of kept him over Sproles who can't stay on the field

definitely not disingenuous...it's completely sincere. And it's not unique to the NFL. It's a problem in every sport I follow. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, it's just reality. Every team...even the bottom five...they're gonna give their best everytime because they are professionals. Just because they are on a shitty team doesn't mean they are bad individually.

What seems disingenuous to me is pretending that teams don't benefit or suffer based on what division they're in.

The appropriate response to that (if your team is in a weak division) is to say that it's out of your team's control and you play the teams that are put in front of you. Also, a win is a win and history doesn't remember strength of schedule, it remembers championships.

His names Eric Reid... he was on the 49ers with Colin Kaepernick ... the first to join the protest with Kap... went to the pro bowl in 2013...has an open collusion case against the NFL.

he seems like a playmaker to me. I think he'll be a really good addition
oh yeah. sorry. total brain fart.

i agree he's a playmaker and a great addition to your defense.

Also, a win is a win and history doesn't remember strength of schedule, it remembers championships.
absolutely.

i tend to agree with cj on the issue. i read a few articles on the subject and, crudely summed up, most agree that this years schedule graded by last year's strength is a highly unreliable metric e.g. The Way Everybody Measures NFL Schedule Strength? It’s Wrong.

Every year when the schedules are released, NFL analysts ritually compare the strength of the 32 teams’ slates. And every year, they do it the one way we know doesn’t work.
Twelve years ago, Doug Drinen of Sports-Reference.com saw the annual crop of strength-of-schedule articles spring up and decided to test their merit. He compared NFL team records from the prior year (Year N) with the year before that (Year N-1) and their opponents’ win percentage from Year N-1, and he repeated the process all the way back to 1990.

Drinen found that prior-year wins by a team’s opponents are “essentially irrelevant” to following-year success — and while how well the other team plays absolutely matters when toe meets leather, “these strength-of-schedule estimates that are being thrown around right now seem to have no role at all in determining teams’ (upcoming year) records.”

In a league where about half the teams that make the playoffs in any given year miss them the following season (a whopping eight 2016 playoff teams missed the cut in 2017), assuming every team’s record will remain the same never really made any sense.
(my emphasis)

alasdair

Last edited:
Yeah, assessing it based solely on the previous season would be problematic. I was basing it on what teams have done this season.

I don't want to keep crying about it though. Let's just accept reality and admit that some teams have (much) easier paths than others. That's just the way it is.

The Patriots have played in a weakish division over the last 10 years but the way they have pushed everyone else's shit in make me think it's not a huge factor in overall success. Not like they have a bunch of first round exits from the playoffs.

Yeah, the pats didn't just beat the dolphins, they absolutely shat on them.

Belichick has something up his sleeve. He makes something out of nothing.

The playoffs will be the real test, obviously. Maybe the pats go out first round. So be it.

But it's really hard to judge based on the first four weeks don't you think.

That said, speculating is fun, and the pats graph is pointing up.

Last edited:
Browns, Steelers and Viqueens all have two ties already this year. What do you guys think about this tie business?

Last edited:
Browns, Steelers and Viqueens all have two ties already this year. What do you guys think about this tie business?

I don't think there should ever be a tie. You cant tie in college or even high school football but you can in the NFL?! It's crazy. Shortening the overtime period on top of changing the field goal to win rule combined to increase ties. I think college has the best ot rules. The NFL would be smart to copy them. Like have college rules with both teams starting at the 35 to account for better fg kickers

I don't think there should ever be a tie. You cant tie in college or even high school football but you can in the NFL?! It's crazy. Shortening the overtime period on top of changing the field goal to win rule combined to increase ties. I think college has the best ot rules. The NFL would be smart to copy them. Like have college rules with both teams starting at the 35 to account for better fg kickers

Yeah I think college/high school football is better too

Damn, the Colts are having a rough season. They won 1 game against the Redskins, and lost 4?
Hope they can get their shit together!

I screwed up.. when I was looking at records they posted the tie record in the middle of the wins and loses. I was used to it being posted last.

I feel that having a system that ends in ties unnervingly brings the NFL in line with round football and results in disputable unclimactic loose ends.

Damn, the Colts are having a rough season. They won 1 game against the Redskins, and lost 4?
Hope they can get their shit together!

yeah,they tried putting together a little comeback last night. It was just too late. Luck looked pretty good though.

Pardon the interruption:

1sbESoY.gif

I was surprised the game was as close as it was last night. The colts suck

sure you can if your position is that that one game will be "a true test of just how good the Dolphins really are"

:)

alasdair

Lol, my bad, didn't check BL for a few days because my mobile data was being spotty.

I'm certainly disappointed, but not overly surprised, tbh. The Patriots came out hungry, while we played about as poorly as we possibly could.

As mal said, hard to draw too much of a conclusion from one game. I think it makes it clear that we are probably not elite, but we kind of knew that, already.

Curious to see how we follow up against Cincinnati. Bengals look legit this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.