• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How to reduce cannabis anxiety?

Ah, I forgot to mention earlier, it is my personal observation that some people just seem to never get the same level of tolerance as others, and loose any built up tolerance really quickly, and are in general more sensitive to cannabis than average.

What I would like to suggest is to never use other people as a meter for how much and how often to smoke, even if it seems silly, maybe if you make a gram of good weed into 20 doses (spliffs/bowls/pipes/whatever you use), and that would mean 50mg each dose, maybe that's a dose that will give you a positive effect, while if you smoke a quarter or a half gram at a time like some people do, you would be overdosing yourself.

Hopefully you have a scale that is accurate enough, if you do not look into milligram jewellery scales, even cheap ones are fine for weed, you can find them for about 20 bucks on Amazon.

Beware of anything that looks/feels as a "Wall of Shame": it creates persistent slavery-like deceiving (fact-bending) addiction that might cause death by starving and/or overdose if you don't walk away from that screen once in a while!

Euh...

Ah, I forgot to mention earlier, it is my personal observation that some people just seem to never get the same level of tolerance as others, and loose any built up tolerance really quickly, and are in general more sensitive to cannabis than average.

What I would like to suggest is to never use other people as a meter for how much and how often to smoke, even if it seems silly, maybe if you make a gram of good weed into 20 doses (spliffs/bowls/pipes/whatever you use), and that would mean 50mg each dose, maybe that's a dose that will give you a positive effect, while if you smoke a quarter or a half gram at a time like some people do, you would be overdosing yourself.

Hopefully you have a scale that is accurate enough, if you do not look into milligram jewellery scales, even cheap ones are fine for weed, you can find them for about 20 bucks on Amazon.

That first line directly applies to me lol. I've been smoking cannabis long enough to know how my body reacts and I can never consistently keep up a tolerance. If I even skip smoking for a day I lose most if not all. I stay pretty much right at baseline, noobie status. Even on days which I've smoked early in the morning, get baked and not smoke again until way later that same night its pretty intense. I've even had highs spill over into the next day. Its pretty weird how I've been smoking almost every day for 3 years and haven't acquired any real tolerance. To me that's a good thing tho LOL

richardj, I've never tried benzos but I drink a lot of kava root tea and I've heard that its a lot like a benzo. Kava and weed synergies together so beautifully and harmoniously.

I started getting panic attacks (sober, daily, several) and quit for 3 years.

When I smoke a bong rip now, I can lit for several hours. I can be couchlocked the first hour, have some anxiety yeah, whatever, I'm a panic freak anyway and its not like it's gonna kill me. Just made me VERY hungry though, I hadn't smoked in 7 hours and that is a very long time for me not to smoke. I've been toking up 4 bong rips a day or so lately its nice. I get way higher off much less weed. It's no longer really much of an expense. I couldn't eat food for a few days and had to take time off exercise and doing much of anything. Since I was smoking an eighth a day of chron (hopefully we all have chron by now) before that.

The anxiety can just be a part of an intense high for me. I don't mind getting a hit like that these days, quickly mellows out anyway. If you can't find a way to enjoy it just maybe try and cut back or stop for a long time. I'd also just smoke way less than you are and maybe a different method of consumption? Like, if bong tokes make you anxious try a puff off a joint because part of this is likely psychological. You are expecting to feel that way, so you do. If it's causing that much trouble like it was for me at one point, and also recently, I'd cut back. Its been just a week and I feel great without weed for the most part now. Still smoking a bit, way less though.

The one thing that I haven?t seen anyone mention is the type of weed you are smoking.. I find that Indica strains give me anxiety.. Sativa strains don?t seem to.

I have this stuff called Blue Dream that is a hybrid that supposedly is 0 anxiety weed.. I can?t try it for a couple days because I have a urine screen coming.. will let you know how it goes.

The one thing that I haven?t seen anyone mention is the type of weed you are smoking.. I find that Indica strains give me anxiety.. Sativa strains don?t seem to. .

Interesting. Quite different to the typical (and self-experienced) experiential effects of the two species/strains/things. I get way less anxiety on indica strains. They generally have a calming effect.

Yeah me too, if at all, I only get anxiety from sativas, indicas chill me out completely. Blue dream feels to me like a typical sativa-dominant hybrid so not in any way immune to causing anxiety.

Mix your weed with CBD-rich strain and there you go - anxiety will be drastically reduced.

Indica and Sativa are terms that are more relative to cultivators and growers. IME the actual balance of active terpenoids always vary and not necessarily to be in line with expected "Sativa-stimulating", "Indica-sedating" concept that is generally adopted. So I've had indica strains that were clearly uplifting and motivating and vice-versa I was sedated by pure sativas many times.

Supplementing with Taurine (1-2grams) and L-Theanine (200mg) may provide an anxiolytic response, Aniracetam also shows having anti-anxiety properties for me. Taurine is especially good for vegetarians and vegans as its normally found in meat and fish (plus our bodies make it from cysteine) and it acts on an inhibitory system (GABA) providing anxiolysis and relaxed state of mind.

I think you misunderstand, when I say 'sativa' or 'indica', I'm not referring to genetics, I'm referring to terpene profile. It's just a colloquialism. If a strain has uplifting effects, for all intents and purposes, it is a sativa.

CBD does not resolve the problem, the solution for me would be to mix in enough of an 'indica'-dominant strain that it drowns out whatever terpene causes me anxiety, and at that point I'm just smoking a slightly uplifting 'indica'. Sativas just aren't enjoyable to me, I don't see a reason to try to make them usable when indicas serve every purpose I need.

Taurine and L-theanine should work, I'm not one to ingest unnecessary supplements, but if someone in this thread finds they have anxious reactions regardless of the strain & dose but still for whatever reason want to consume, that might be a good route, definitely a good step before going for something like a benzo

CBD does not resolve the problem, the solution for me would be to mix in enough of an 'indica'-dominant strain that it drowns out whatever terpene causes me anxiety, and at that point I'm just smoking a slightly uplifting 'indica'. Sativas just aren't enjoyable to me, I don't see a reason to try to make them usable when indicas serve every purpose I need.

Do you know of any research that links any of the cannabis terpenes to anxiety?
How did you come to the conclusion that if a strain is anxiogenic for you, it is the terpene content that is responsible and not the cannabinoids?

Do you know of any research that links any of the cannabis terpenes to anxiety?
How did you come to the conclusion that if a strain is anxiogenic for you, it is the terpene content that is responsible and not the cannabinoids?

Well at least in terms of THC and CBD, I've tried both of them isolated and don't find either of them to be anxiogenic. I suppose it could be cannabinoids other than those partly responsible but I do think it's probably mostly the terpenes because most cannabinoids are variably present in most strains whereas some terpenes are entirely absent from some strains.

Off the top of my head, beta-carotene is common to many indica strains, and is a known anxiolytic. Other than that I don't really remember the names, but I'm sure you're as good with google as I am

I have been using cannabis medicinally for years and I do mix it with alcohol and/or Kratom but not often and only with small doses. I dont think you should try this though if you have anxiety, because they will both only make you feel more intoxicated (a general rule is that 1 beer = 1.5x THC absorption). Many people dont think of Cannabis as a psychedelic but thats how you should treat it. Take a low dose (you can always re-dose if you need to), make sure you have a good set and setting, some people think a high CBD strain helps, and finally if nothing else is working try black peppercorns. I?ve never tried it personally, but chewing the pepper apparently causes a pharmacological reaction which should counteract the THC. Granted, I dont imagine its somethinng pleasant to eat.

I had such a big problem with cannabis induced anxiety that I stopped using for nearly 15 years.

Recently decided to startup again. Even the smallest hit would cause unbearable anxiety at first.

So instead I started using edibles but at very small doses. Doses around 4-5mg of THC according to packaging. Just enough to cause me threshold effects. Continued this daily for a couple weeks while slowly building myself up to 10-15mg doses.

Now I can take a regular hit out of a pipe and feel halfway decent. Still have to be careful not to smoke too much too quickly though.

So some tolerance, atleast for me, helps. No reason to build massive tolerance as that's just a waste of money but some tolerance seems to help with the negatives more than it hinders the positives, for me.

I also sometimes like to take a gram or two of phenibut 3 hours before using marijuana. With the phenibut I can use marijuana more carelessly without worrying so much about anxiety. I try not to use phenibut more than once a week though.