• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Eating edibles on full or empty stomach?

Exstazy

Bluelighter
I googled around for a while and found very different answers everywhere.

Some people say that eating edibles on an empty stomach severly REDUCES the effects, while other say and empty stomach is way better and gives a more intense high than a full stomach.....

I know you shouldn't eat an edible right after a big meal, but what I am wondering is if anyone really knows what is the best method?

Eating on an empty stomach, or eating it 1-5 hours after your last intake of foods.

And is there any real studies to back up what people say about eating it on an empty stomach reduces the high because it basically destroys more THC before it enters the bloodstream - I found that many different places when i googled, but other people seemed to either not know it or it is just a theory...

Personally I have eaten edibles on an empty stomach and gotten really baked for hours.
I have also eaten edibles a few hours after a meal and that also got me very baked.

The biggest difference seemed to be that eating after a meal gives you more energy due to the fact that you actually have food in your system to keep you going. It also took a bit longer for the effects to kick in, I would say.

But what do you guys think? Eating edibles a few hours after a meal or on an empty stomach? What is your experiences and what do you suggest?

Thanks

From a scientific point of view I don't see how eating them on an empty stomach can reduce effectiveness except maybe if you're consuming them in something that has low to no fat like gummies rather than butter/chocolate. Even in that case I'd be surprised though. But full stomach = the THC is spread out more and is absorbed way more slowly and more of it goes straight through. My vote is for empty or near empty stomach, but it should work fine either way. Just don't take a threshold dose after thanksgiving dinner and it should work.

An acidic environment doesn't degrade THC as fast as people think.

Last edited:
To convert THC in the liver there needs to be a surplus of amino acids (a specific one that I can't remember) it is produced from omega 3. If your intake of omega 3 is low or there may be a form of liver disease that reduces this process, in these cases your metabolism would require fuel (food) at the same time.

If this is you, you have my sympathy. I take a steady omega 3 supplement but ground flax or fish in the diet helps. Taking oral doses on a full stomach works fine for mild pain or background use like arthritis or ADHD but for that cerebral high nothing beats edibles on an empty stomach and coffee. Imho

I think absolutely optimal conditions would be eating the edible on an empty stomach with a spoonful of coconut oil to go with (the more fats = the more absorption), then eating a fatty or, if coconut oil was added not as necessary to be fatty, snack / light meal 20-40 minutes later.

If it's been hours since the last meal though, and it wasn't an absolute feast, it's not that going to affect the absorption thaaaat much.

Empty stomach will always be strongest though, provided you get those fats.

I exclusively consume cannabis through edibles due to the fact that I have asthma that is severely triggered by the inhalation of any form of smoke. I have ingested edibles on a near daily basis in the past (e.g. basically stayed stoned 24/7 on them for a good 9 months or so) and for a good while after that continued to stay stoned probably a third to half the time for another year-ish. Currently, it's more of an occasional thing. However, in my extensive experience with edibles, I have found that taking them on empty vs full stomach doesn't affect intensity for me anyways. It just affects the time that it takes for the edible to kick in. After a normal sized meal, it might take about 2 hours to start feeling it noticeably. Without eating, maybe an hour. If you eat a very, very large meal, perhaps 3 hours to feel the effects at a significant intensity that is noticeable. That's just my experience. Also, keep in mind that sometimes you don't peak unti the 6ish hour mark and then start coming down. Though, that really varies. This also varies from person to person as well. The edible high also feels different....... and better to me. In fact, even if I were to be magically cured of my asthma, I can say without a doubt that I would stick to consuming cannabis orally instead of smoking it as I prefer the effects of oral ingestion by a long shot. It's a very full-headed and full-bodied high that's also mellower, yet far more profound and amazing IMO than smoking. Amazingly, I have found that the same amount of weed lasts 6-10+ hours orally as the same dose would last for 2-4 from smoking. So, IME oral ingestion is also more cost-effective and makes it easier to stay buzzed all day long which for me is the goal if I'm getting that day (or all night long if it's at night). Not everyone has found this to be the case for some reason, and I have known people that say you need more cannabis for oral ingestion, but for me this is entirely untrue. In fact, having smoked before (though I stopped smoking after smoking for a few weeks due to my asthma being triggered from frequent smoke inhalation several times a week), I found that the amount that I smoked produced a milder high that was shorter lived whereas edibles with the same amount produced an all-day/all-night high that was actually stronger =D...... and a better quality high. This is different for everyone though.

To convert THC in the liver there needs to be a surplus of amino acids (a specific one that I can't remember) it is produced from omega 3. If your intake of omega 3 is low or there may be a form of liver disease that reduces this process, in these cases your metabolism would require fuel (food) at the same time.

If this is you, you have my sympathy. I take a steady omega 3 supplement but ground flax or fish in the diet helps. Taking oral doses on a full stomach works fine for mild pain or background use like arthritis or ADHD but for that cerebral high nothing beats edibles on an empty stomach and coffee. Imho

I don't believe a bit of this even remotely. I had an extremely omega 3 deficient (that is to say, basically completely absent, my ratio of 3:6 was probably 1:100 or worse) diet until recently and it hasn't affected my high at all.

I don't believe a bit of this even remotely. I had an extremely omega 3 deficient (that is to say, basically completely absent, my ratio of 3:6 was probably 1:100 or worse) diet until recently and it hasn't affected my high at all.

The nice thing is you don't have to believe opinions and you can look up a lot of facts now. I don't try to validate my experience to other's. If someone asks I'll happily tell them my personal life long experience. If yours is different it isn't less or more true. My partner smokes weed vs eating because he would need 3X the amount to feel anything at all. I use less weed orally compared to what I use if I smoke. Metabolism are different but please do your research on the conversion of thc delta 9 to delta 11 and how that happens in your liver. That part is chemistry and not really subject to opinion as much.