View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides LSD Preservative?

Foreigner

Bluelighter
Does anyone know what the standard laboratory preservative(s) for LSD tend to be in the liquid form? I'm referring to that really bitter substance that you can taste when you take a drop or even when you take blotter. I used to know the name but I can't track it down now.

Hmm I'm not sure. I wasn't aware there was a preservative that people used. I've tasted very slightly bitter tabs before but I figured it was the ink which is what people generally agree it is (and the bitterness is very slight). Generally the rule is "if it's bitter, it's a spitter" because it generally means it's not LSD but a DOX or an NBOMe. But if someone has information about this I'd be interested to know.

My experience of "LSD preservative" and bitter blotters is that it was the dealers way of explaining a 20+ hour lasting DOx. The preservative was used as a way of explaining the lengthened effects, as if it would somehow preserve and lengthen them like it would shelflife.

I always thought that they used a mixture of ethanol and dechlorinated water, the ethanol doing the preservation and adding a mild bite from time to time.

Never heard of any preservative being used other than alcohol, if bitter it would have to be denatured alcohol? Or maybe a little bit of benzyl alcohol?

Blotters can be a bit bitter too and also soapy. Are you telling me it's the same stuff (it would have to be a solid)? Never heard of liquid tasting soapy.. (also are you talking preservative as in keeping out mold etc or as in stabilizing the acid itself?)

By the way I probably have some music for you if you still want it foreigner

Never heard of any preservative being used other than alcohol, if bitter it would have to be denatured alcohol? Or maybe a little bit of benzyl alcohol?

Yeah, to me it sounds plausible that they used denatured alcohol... if denatured alcohol was used to lay the blotters, then some denatonium benzoate would presumably be left on the paper and give it a bitter taste.

Although, denatonium benzoate is incredibly bitter even in trace quantities... I've never heard of liquid being *that* bitter

I'm not a chemist so can't provide an informed reply, but many years ago I recall reading something about the use of a "retarder" - presumably added at the end of the manufacturing stage. I can't vouch for the validity of the statement though so it may be total bosh! Any ex-cooks out there willing to chip in?

He's probably talking about the dangerous NBOME series. LSD doesn't really have a taste.

Also the answer is proper storage. I remember some Sandoz powder lsd was pulled out near 100 years later from storage with no noticable potency loss

Thanks for the feedback. It was probably the ink on the blotter that I was tasting. It couldn't have been nbombe because the trip only lasted 7-8 hours.

NBOMes last about that time, it's the DOXs that last way longer. Did it make your mouth/tongue numb? Or just bitter?

I'm positive it's the NBOME they are talking about. Besides the unlikely to be sold dox series as acid anymore it's likely the NBOME, which people don't use anymore because it's garbage that's toxic

Yeah but I'm not sure Foreigner is talking about now, I'm pretty sure he doesn't do psychedelics anymore. Anyway we can't actually ID it which is why we don't allow ID threads (this isn't one anyway obviously). I think it's likely it was an NBOMe but we can't say anything with certainty. Also they numb the mouth so if it didn't numb it probably was not one.

OK,this thread covers, perfectly, what I was about to start a thread on. So no need to start my own.
I have procured some crystal LSD with a purity level being touted as "99.999some shit" pure.
Why I bought it this way is because this is the only way I will ever really know the dosage I am ingesting. This is for personal stash and I want to break down the entire amount in a solution.
I am thinking ethanol. This way I can put it in the freezer without it freezing. I have read that an acidic solution is even better than a neutral one for keeping degradation to a minimum.
I have also heard/read that Ascorbic acid will work, but don't know if that is true, safe for the LSD or readily soluble in EtOH.
This bit I have will probably last several (5-10?) years, providing it "lasts" that long.
Has anyone actually stored "liquid LSD" for years before and if so, how did it hold up?
Thanks.

The standard practice is to store in the purest etoh you can get in the freezer in the dark and it will last forever. This is in the literature as well as in many accounts of stability by users

i currently have quite a bit stored the same way. Over 100 hits

If you rely had lsd that was as pure as three 9s behind the decimal if you shook the crystals in the dark it should emit sparks

Sorry for not revisiting this thread for so long.

It was definitely not nbombe or DOX that I was taking. I've worked with LSD a lot over the years and you'll just have to trust me on that one.

Xorkoth was right in that I don't take psychs anymore (not by choice but by health problems). The reason for me asking about preservatives is that I've wondered over the years if somehow LSD or its related preservatives somehow contributed to the onset of my severe auto-immune gut problems.

Ruling out a preservative based problem, there's the whole neuroscience connection. LSD trips gave me gut troubles. I would have gut-related anxiety all the time especially on the come-up, and then it would go away for the rest of the trip. Inflammatory bowel and other gut diseases are very related to the neuroglia, which are intimately connected with various neural stimulation, especially stress-based. LSD is such a broad spectrum 5Ht agonist that it makes me wonder if it caused hyper-sensitive upregulation of my gut or downregulation of my immune system somehow, from years of high dose frequent use.

My LSD days were very enjoyable, but I can't help but wonder if the way I did it caused long-term abuse symptoms in my body. In the drug community most people believe that LSD is harmless because of its non-toxicity and how it rapidly clears the body, but I wonder if it can trigger immunological / neurological changes in those prone, triggering latent (genetically predisposed) diseases that require certain conditions, like neural stress, to activate.

This is all theoretical... but I can't ignore that my severe IBD devleoped within a year after stopping my 3 year stint of heavy LSD use. That said, it's impossible to really know. Maybe the disease was always inbound.

Anyway, thanks for reading and contributing. This thread helps me rule out some things from my mountain of research.

... but I can't ignore that my severe IBD devleoped within a year after stopping my 3 year stint of heavy LSD use. That said, it's impossible to really know. Maybe the disease was always inbound.

Um, maybe you shouldn't have stopped. The LSD might have bought you three extra years...I know, chicken or egg.

The standard practice is to store in the purest etoh you can get in the freezer in the dark and it will last forever. This is in the literature as well as in many accounts of stability by users

i currently have quite a bit stored the same way. Over 100 hits

If you rely had lsd that was as pure as three 9s behind the decimal if you shook the crystals in the dark it should emit sparks

Yeah, I am aware of that, but since it's going straight from the shipping container into the soup I will have to take their word for it.

Besides, with the small amount I got I doubt that it'd shake well enough to break those bonds, but DK.

Have had good luck with this vendor in the past tho.

Um, maybe you shouldn't have stopped. The LSD might have bought you three extra years...I know, chicken or egg.

I thought about that too. My friend used LSD to prevent her severe migraines, it was the only thing that worked for her. If she did LSD every 15 days, she'd never get one. As soon as she slacked she would be in daily migraine hell again.

I have wondered if I should do a heavy roll and see how it affects my body. I'm just so weak and deteriorated right now that I don't know what a major sympathomimmetic / catabolic event would do to me.