• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Salvia / ~250 mg) - First & Second Time - Dysphoric Cartoon World.

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
This was written nearly eight years ago, when I was seventeen. I'm feeling nostalgic, so I'll make what I believe is my first contribution to Trip Reports. Salvia was one of the first drugs I ever tried and to this day, having experienced all corners of the pharmacopoeia, there has been nothing since that has even come close to its ability to completely knock me out of reality.

---

August 2010:

Sex: Male
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Substance: 20X Salvia Divinorum Extract
Dose: ~250 mg
Past experience: occasional cannabis smoker; only past dissociative or hallucinogen experience with DXM

Having just moved to a large and interesting city for university, I had not been sober a single day for over a week. After a night out at a club, I was mildly drunk and felt that it was time to try out the 20X salvia extract I had bought a few days earlier. So I set up: cleaned up my bong, made a tin-foil screen, and packed the bowl about half-full with the salvia (I estimate that about 1/4 g was used). I shut off all lights in my room, then set my bong up next to an open window (I am not allowed to smoke in my room). Using a butane torch lighter, I lit the salvia and held the flame on it. I hit, took some air, and then hit the rest of the smoke. It did seem a little hot, but not terribly so, and it was smoother than cannabis smoke. I did not stay in reality long enough to remember exhaling - I have no idea how long I held the smoke, but I do know that I managed to get the entire bowlful in my lungs.

I do not remember coming up or entering the new reality. The first thing I remember is the new reality itself, which is ridiculously hard to describe properly. It looked quite simple - a bright, two-dimensional cartoon image (the contents of which I do not quite recall - although I do think it had something to do with a kitchen, and there were some pictures of cartoon characters, and everything was very Disney-like). This image reality would flow from one scene to the next in a sort of square track, and there would be a ripping as one scene merged into the following one (I seem to remember a vague physical sensation to accompany this ripping). The scenes fit together like puzzle pieces in a way, perfectly merging from one to the other.

In this reality, I did not exist. There was no sense of self, no memories of the past world, no knowledge of who I was. Complete ego death. However, I was absolutely convinced of this reality's authenticity, and this filled me with a terrible sense of dread. I am certain that I had never felt as horribly as I did while caught in the sickening flow of that salvia world. There was no pain, but finding out that all of reality was so simple and uninteresting was unbelievably awful. The sense of being stuck was very prominent, and at every rip, I would feel a brief and mild sense of hope that was quickly crushed.

After an unknown amount of time (it didn't seem like all that long, thankfully), I began to slowly return to reality. At first, even once I could see my room, I was not sure which reality was actually the real one. It was around this point that I first remembered actually having smoked salvia. I saw my computer and desperately rushed to turn it on, hoping to confirm that my room was real. I logged in with some difficulty, but by the time I got in, I was pretty well back in reality. The relief was great, but I was still uncomfortable - the experience had been very powerful. The alcohol probably played a negative role, too. After turning on my computer, I went to look for my bong. It had fallen in the crack between my bed and the wall.

I had strong closed-eye visuals for at least an hour after this. Nothing concrete, just two-dimensional mixes of colours and shapes. However, with my eyes open, I was perfectly normal, although quite shaken. I didn't get to sleep for a long time.

Although I had an awful time during my salvia trip, I do plan to try it again some time, although I will give it a break for a while. Next time, I will make sure to be sober - I think that the alcohol was a significant cause of discomfort after my trip.

---

September 2010:

Substance: 20X Salvia Divinorum Extract
Dose: ~250 mg
Past experience: took 20x salvia extract once before

Despite the frightening experience of my last trip, about a month ago, I had an urge to once again trip on salvia. I took a similar dosage to the last time I did the drug. There were two major differences, though - instead of being alone, I was now being watched by a group of friends, and instead of being slightly drunk, I was high on cannabis and hadn't slept for almost 36 hours.

I smoked as I had the last time, with a bong - all of the material was vaporized with a torch lighter. This time, however, I remember the entire trip, including the coming-up. With a lungful of salvia, I quickly felt myself lose control as the world gained the look of a cartoon image. Immediately, I had a massive sense of deja-vu and knew that I was going to experience the exact same occurrence as in my previous trip - and I was right.

Quickly, I was transferred into the two-dimensional cartoon world of my previous trip, and in no time I was once again believing that everything happening to me was 100% real. However, more details were remembered this time. The world was not truly two-dimensional; it, in fact, had a thin third dimension (about the height of an average room a person would stand in). As soon as it appeared, I got a view of it from above. What the thing was, was some kind of indescribable rotating cartoon. What would happen is that the image would "split" at a point that was viewed from an isometric standpoint above my actual field of vision (or maybe from my actual field of vision - or, more likely, somehow both at the same time). The outer edge of this splitting image would be filled with the contents of the scene I was in in real life - i.e., a balcony with me and my friends on it. The whole purpose of our existence seemed to be to make a nice looking border for the yellow cartoon. Anything not in my immediate actual view was viewed as a yellow inner portion of the salvia world. I didn't really exist in this world, yet at the same time, I was "caught" inside it. The feeling of being caught was apparent as soon as I started tripping, and it took a long time to shake off, even after the strongest parts of the trip had receded. The time spent inside the cartoon world, like last time, was indescribably awful.

My friends eventually tried to get me inside the apartment; during this time, I began to come back to reality. I could kind of see my surroundings, but the twisting cartoon world was still making its rounds. At every "break" I would try to move or say something, but I was immediately caught again each time. After a while, my friends got me to a chair in a living room, and the salvia world began to recede. I could still feel and see it making its rounds, but I wasn't quite "caught." I got up, sat on the floor, and started mumbling incoherently (I was trying to convey what was happening to my friends). It took a long time for the world to wear off completely... maybe twenty minutes. I could eventually talk to my friends, but I was still visually hallucinating, and tried closing my eyes. This made for a completely different and very cool 3D cartoon trip, so I kept my eyes closed. My talking friends irritated me by removing me from the immersion in this trip. Eventually, I felt I was worrying my friends too much, so I opened my eyes and began to talk normally, trying to describe my trip. Even by then, there's no way I could accurately or precisely imagine the beginning and main part of my salvia trip. All I know is that it is the weirdest thing I have ever experienced.

---

Sadly, salvia has long since been banned in Canada, and I'm afraid that stupid, fearless Canadian teenagers are no longer being introduced to the wonderful and wacky world of psychedelic drugs by diving into this particular deep end. :p

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_salvia
substancecode_dissociatives
explevel_firsttime
explevel_secondtime
exptype_positive
exptype_spiritual
exptype_difficult
roacode_smoked
roacode_inhaled

Last edited by a moderator:
I got deja vu when I read of the thin third dimension of the cartoon world there, as if I'd seen it before or lived it.

It sounds like youve seen some kind of variations of the giant machine/wheel of time/reality/souls that people see on salvia. Check out salviadroid if you haven't already, he has some weird cartoon depictions of it: https://salviadroid.deviantart.com/gallery/38100452/PSYCHEDELIC

Last edited:
Great trip report S.J.B., thank you! ;)

I have had my share of cartoon 2D hallucinations on salvia...8)
I still remember that sponge Bob multiplying ad infinitum and becoming layers and layers of 2D very colorful reality, like someone used markers to color everything...

Tranced, thank you for the cool link! :)

I have had my share of cartoon 2D hallucinations on salvia...8)
I still remember that sponge Bob multiplying ad infinitum and becoming layers and layers of 2D very colorful reality, like someone used markers to color everything...

The first time I took salvia the most I knew about it was the packet saying it caused hallucinations, and us not believing that could be true. After smoking numerous back to back buckets/gravity bongs I heard the word "psychedelic" spoken in my mind (I don't think I'd ever really considered this word whatsoever up until that point), and felt a sudden sense of deja vu. It was at this point that a red fabric of reality started weaving through my vision and formed into a cartoon duck, which winked knowingly at me.

And here I am, sixteen years later, completely obsessed with the word that was uttered in my head by this mysterious substance. =D

It sounds like youve seen some kind of variations of the giant machine/wheel of time/reality/souls that people see on salvia. Check out salviadroid if you haven't already, he has some weird cartoon depictions of it: https://salviadroid.deviantart.com/gallery/38100452/PSYCHEDELIC

Yeah, some of those (the yellow ones with the wheel) are fairly reminiscent of what I experienced! I never broke through on salvia after those times but when I did smoke it, I would have the feeling of that world turning in on my from behind my peripheral vision, but not being able to overtake me.

Really well written!
And gotta just love everything about aunt sally. When you excuse her, you get an A in math. When you don’t, you trip fucking balls.