• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How much glucose is there is a spoonful of sucrose?

Forever Changes

Bluelighter
I have these tablets that contain 130mg glucose each - I don't know if that's a lot, or a negligable amount - how does it compare to a spoonful of normal table sugar (sucrose, which is a disaccharide and breaks down into glucose)

I'm trying to cut down my sugar consumption for health reasons

Last edited:
You already know sucrose is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose, and a quick Google search will tell you that the molar masses of those two are 180.156 for glucose and 180.16 for fructose. So for all intents and purposes it's a 1:1 ratio, meaning you just have to divide whatever your spoonful of sugar weighs by 2 to find the amount of glucose in it.

I'm gonna send this to healthy living for you, bdd isn't the place.

You already know sucrose is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose, and a quick Google search will tell you that the molar masses of those two are 180.156 for glucose and 180.16 for fructose. So for all intents and purposes it's a 1:1 ratio, meaning you just have to divide whatever your spoonful of sugar weighs by 2 to find the amount of glucose in it.

so about 15 glucose pills = 1 teaspoon of sugar, which is pretty negligible. I'm about to go on a caffiene bender but the cheaper pills come with glucose added :D

And don't forget that the fructose in sugar is also absorbed in the gut and contributes to similar health problems as glucose.

And don't forget that the fructose in sugar is also absorbed in the gut and contributes to similar health problems as glucose.

so the glucose pills are a better bet than eating/drinking anything with sucrose in. Just one can of coke has got around 35g sugar!, and I dread to think how much those 'energy' drinks have in them