• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

We are the 1%

Cosmic Trigger

Bluelighter
It's really easy to rationalize. I do it and I see it everywhere. We like to blame the evils of the world on the 1% but I know it's not true. Here's a video that I think explains this truth. You might even see yourself in it. What cha think?

Interesting video, thanks for posting that.

Although, it does occur to me that that doesn't change the fact that the decisions of those in positions of power generally carry a greater moral weight because they will affect more people, so the 1% still have a great influence over both the evils and good things in the world, and are still responsible for those things that they affect. That doesn't mean of course that because the world isn't better than it is today, it's solely down to the personal moral failings of those with the most influence - there is a higher order influence from human nature itself and the tendency to rationalise dishonesty that is explained in the video, and probably most people in the same position would do something similar.

That said - even though the evils of the world, so to speak, are explicable by human nature, this doesn't absolve those who hold the most influence of responsibility for their part in causing these evils, because they still played a part. It just so happens that the consequences of their own tendency to rationalise things are of greater significance.

Regarding the banking thing mentioned in the video, to me it has just always been obvious that the bankers became a scapegoat for systemic issues with Western capitalism. Although, this did make me wonder if my thoughts about this are related to the same psychological distance that exists between the effects of the decisions of bankers on the global economy, versus, for example, the decisions of powerful politicians.people like Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin.

Caricature-esque politicians like Trump, may, on some level, be only scapegoats of blame for systemic problems with Western democracy - and any number of angry old men would surely be doing the same thing in his position. But of course that doesn't absolve him of blame for the consequences of his decisions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, in the words of someone from Spiderman, "with great power comes great responsibility", and regardless of whether or not everyone else would do the same thing in the position of the powerful, when of course, quite likely they would, those with power are still responsible for their actions. But of course, the problems of the world are far more complex than simply having the wrong people in powerful positions.

How do "powerful" people get their positions and their power? Could Hitler have started a war if no one had supported him? This imo is where we become creators.

People that think or try to be "honest" in my view are some of the most corrupt & evil.
One of the most fine books I have ever come across is Niccolo Machiavelli - The Prince as I see that work as "truth" on human nature.

Machiavelli was truly a genius, I can agree to that.

Without me having to read the book can you explain your meaning of the above a little more.

People who make a huge thing about helping others tend to get corrupted in many ways, look at some of the stuff Mother Teresa got upto, Ghandi & his view on females & what he did to his wife, the stuff going on with the big boses at Oxfam as I type this today.

OK I see and I agree. However I think there are real honest people who stay out of all if it because of their honesty. Fake honesty however, as you say is everywhere but it's not being honest. Mother Teresa was never really honest, it was the Media and the rest of humanity that chose to see her that way. Human's always need phony heroic examples so we can ignore the facts of our overall depravity.

People who make a huge thing about helping others tend to get corrupted in many ways, look at some of the stuff Mother Teresa got upto, Ghandi & his view on females & what he did to his wife, the stuff going on with the big boses at Oxfam as I type this today.

Definitely there are people who get twisted. But most people who are honest are actually being honest and it's not a power thing at all, they just want to do something good. I mean everyone has flaws, you can even be an honest person who does a lot of good for the people around them but still do something bad, too.

I think it depends on your definition of honesty. I have done a lot of profoundly dishonest things because of my heroin addiction. You learn how to be a good liar. And the best lies use the truth.

Which is why I define honesty by intention. If the intent is to deceive, it doesn't matter what impression you give or how true or untrue why a you say is. Even something completely true can be entirely dishonest.

I have done a lot of profoundly dishonest things because of my heroin addiction. You learn how to be a good liar. And the best lies use the truth

Where did this person pop up from?
I know this isn't the correct part of BL to say ths & I hope the mod(s) will not ban me for saying it but I know 100% what you mean JessFR, 14 years myself to that stuff.
I wish you the very best, may "God" keep a safe eye on you.

They popped up from wherever we all pop up from. lol I learned to be a good liar from my parents. I didn't need drug addiction for that.

Yeah many, many times more people lurk without registering an account or posting. Bluelight comes up on the first page of google searches all the time.

There's nothing wrong with the 1%, some people don't like others having success. 1% income was $465,626 in 2014 which you don't have to be a villain to make.

The .01% are the ones I look at as the wicked ones (for the most part not every single one of them.) You can't get to that level without being corrupt or getting corrupted at one point. These are the people buying politicians and getting involved in usury schemes.

Well then change it to the .01% and my point remains. We make the .01% the successes they are.

I am going to make an entirely vague point, that will probably be censored anyway:
1% is a euphemism and a distraction.