• ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shale

Bluelighter
Red Sparrow
Movie Blurb by Shale
March 2, 2018

This was my opening movie to see today because I like Jennifer Lawrence and saw an interview recently where she discussed her nudity in this film, which BTW is rated R "for strong violence, torture, sexual content, language and some graphic nudity."

It is a spy story, with all the usual intrigues of spies, defections counter spies and moles. It involves the CIA and Russian, but it is not like Salt or Atomic Blond with all the action. It is more character driven and shows the real dirt on how street level spies are expendable and often tortured by the Russians (and presumably by CIA black ops as well.but that was not shown). However, with Putin bringing back the Cold War yesterday with his intimidating announcement of a nuclear missile that can breach our defenses, this movie opening is spot on.

The movie starts with our protagonist, a prima ballerina in the Bolshoi Dominika Egorova (Jennifer Lawrence) performing while simultaneous shots of operatives in Gorky Park are exchanging information. About the only action chase is when the exchange is spooked and the CIA agent Nate Nash (Joel Edgerton) is on the run. Then back to the theater where Dominika has a ballet ending injury.

Dominika is pressed into Russian Intelligence by her spy uncle Ivan Egorov (Matthias Schoenaerts). She is reluctant but she is caring for her invalid mother and her home will soon be taken back by the Bolshoi, so she agrees to his coercion.

Uncle Ivan
Film_2018_RedSparrow_Trailer_01.jpg

She goes to training as a "Sparrow." She receives her new identity and refers to the headmistress as "Matron" (Charlotte Rampling) who reminded me a little of Col. Rosa Klebb in the James Bond movie "From Russia With Love.")

Dominika & Matron
48E351A300000578-5351457-Red_Sparrow_Jennifer_Lawrence_is_trained_by_Charlotte_Rampling_t-m-1_1517791856578.jpg

This school is where young attractive operatives are taught how to evaluate their mark's needs and seduce them with that knowledge. Sexuality is encouraged and she is put to tests with her fellow students. Also, she learns the usual lock picking, surveillance, firearms & weapons use.

Dominika?s First Job
sparrow.jpg

She is assigned to side up to the CIA operative from Gorky Park, Nate Nash (Joel Edgerton) and find out from whom he got information. Nate being an accomplished agent sees thru her cover and lets her know. He is trying to get her to be a double agent.

Dominika Seduces Nate
red-sparrow-780x520.jpg

From here, you don't know who is playing whom, as it is in all these spy dramas and they let you know how serious mistakes are dealt with.

The book that this movie is based on was written by an ex-CIA operative, so IDK how much is fictionalized or how much is real. Glad my only spying on the Russians was by radio across the Black Sea and not sneaking around old European buildings waiting for some stealthy assassin to jump out of the shadows.

The movie got only 51% Fresh from the aggregate critics at Rotten Tomatoes. Their consensus was; "Red Sparrow's tense, character-driven story ? elevated by outstanding work from Jennifer Lawrence ? help this topical spy thriller overcome its somewhat uneven narrative." I rather liked it, as did 54% of audiences.

The preview trailer for this movie makes me wonder what Hollywood smokes.

The preview trailer for this movie makes me wonder what Hollywood smokes.

Haha. I've seen this film trailer a lot, which is quite unusual for me (I tend to not pay attention & rarely watch tv) - they must be really hammering that trailer.

Maybe it's a good film, but I just find it really cheesy/naff when a film is made by actors who speak completely different accents to the role they're playing. Go to the country they made it, hire their actors and film it there ffs. I consider it a kind of litmus test for a good film.

Presumably they're hammering it to try and win big with the latest spy franchise.

Hmmm, guess it boils down to is a scantily clad Jennifer Lawrence worth watching this abortion of a movie? Quite possibly. Might watch it in the comfort of my home today depending on my mood. Definitely wouldn't go to the theater for it.

Jennifer Lawrence is seriously fit here, as a brunette and with a more natural image. Those eyes. <3

I've never looked at her before and thought this, but that's pretty much my ideal look for a girl there.

I like Jennifer Lawrence and Charlotte Rampling a lot, so it's pretty sad to see the reviews aren't exactly positive overall.

^I didn't know who Charlotte Rampling was there, but she looked a lot like Jennifer Lawrence does in this when she was younger, it seems! :)

T7eAauP.png

I've just watched some interviews with her and she's quality. Very good sense of humour. I like her.

If you are interested in this subject matter, you should give the television series The Americans, on FX, a go. Based on the reviews, it's safe to say The Americans probably does a much better job covering similar subject matter.