Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shale

Bluelighter
Black Panther
Movie Blurb by Shale
February 27, 2018

10763.jpg

This movie has been out since Feb 16, but I have waited for the opening furor to subside a bit before venturing to the Cinema. It is the origin story of black royalty from an obscure third-world nation of Wakanda, which actually hides an advanced, hi tech civilization that has existed in Africa for millennia. We first got a glimpse of this royalty and Prince T'Challa or Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) when his father King T'Chaka (John Kani) was killed in Captain America: Civil War (2016). This movie picks up after that, when T'Challa becomes king of Wakanda.

Among the royals of Wakanda are T'Challa's mother, Ramonda (Angela Bassett), and his younger teen sister Shuri (Letitia Wright) a precocious and brilliant scientist who makes much of the advanced technology. Then there is Okoye (Danai Gurira) head of the all-female Dora Milaje bodyguards of the king, and Zuri (Forest Whitaker) an elder spiritual leader.

Okoye & Dora Milaje

mba0500_v004.1046_wide-e09be7b5f88c90d30a935ddbc30c1d19dd70f87a-s900-c85.jpg

There is also Nakia (Lupita Nyong'o) an undercover agent working in the African nations around Wakanda to stop human trafficking and other problems of those nations. She is also a former love interest of T'Challa.

Nakia & Shuri

98a73bb2c7f786ed390c4b8e12e9458f.jpg

The advancement of Wakanda started when a meteor of "vibranium" a metal that is stronger than any other (OK, the nerds are already debating how vibranium holds up to adamantium) and is impervious to most anything, hit that part of Africa. It is the basis of their technology and is woven into the very fabric of Black Panther's suit, making him bullet proof.

Wakanda, being hidden from the world avoided the colonialism that plagued the rest of Africa but could not avoid the internecine rivalry of its own. There is a contender to the throne, a distant relative N'Jadaka (Michael B. Jordan) who was raised in the larger, corrupt world as Erik Stevens and has been trained as a black ops agent and assassin in many of the U.S. wars and has taken the name "Killmonger."

Erik Stevens-T'Challa
e_Black_Panther_Enemies_01092018.jpg

This becomes the major threat to Wakanda and Black Panther.

40427167891_7435a43341_z.jpg

This movie has an almost exclusively black cast. There are a couple of white guys who play a part, the villainous South African arms dealer Ulysses Klaue (Andy Serkis) and a token good guy, Everett K. Ross (Martin Freeman) a CIA agent who gets drawn into the intrigues of Wakanda while chasing terrorists with stolen vibranium.

The appeal of this movie to black audiences is obvious but to those white ppl who appreciate African beauty and its native art and culture (Don't forget that ancient Egyptians were not white) it is a refreshing moment to enjoy this fantasy onscreen. As with the DC Wonder Woman origin showing a culture of strong females, this is a refreshing look at an African culture existing beyond the reality of modern Africa and delves into the responsibility of advanced nations to assist those less advanced. Sort of a feel-good moment onscreen.

And, this feel-good movie is very popular among critics and making a killing at the box office. I enjoyed it immensely and recommend those who have not yet seen it to do so. On Rotten Tomatoes the aggregate critics gave it a 97% Fresh and 79% of audiences liked it. Their consensus was; "Black Panther elevates superhero cinema to thrilling new heights while telling one of the MCU's most absorbing stories and introducing some of its most fully realized characters."

Edit:
BTW, a heads up. There are two end-credit teasers. The first, early on is like the next chapter of the movie.

The second you have to wait for 10 minutes of end credits before it comes up at the very end - and it is an interesting & mysterious lead in to something else.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the film but they tried to fit too much into 1 movie. They could have done an entire movie on Klaw. Killmonger storyline could have been the 2nd movie it would have been better I think. I hated how they made Klaw out to be just an idiot criminal. Dude is like Red Skull to Captain America.

Why did Killmonger need to bring the body of Klaw as an offering to his own people? He bore the Wakanda tattoo. Killmonger also killed Klaw before reveling how to find Wakanda (Killmonger wasnt born in Wakanda and had never been until then). The movie doesnt explain this, or if they do its extremely poor writing

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, a heads up. There are two end-credit teasers. The first, early on is like the next chapter of the movie.

The second you have to wait for 10 minutes of end credits before it comes up at the very end - and it is an interesting & mysterious lead in to something else.

all the MCU movies have been pretty good, this one is no exception. only a few months until infinity war.

I'm a huge fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I thought that this entry into their catalogue was excellent, except I felt like the story could have been bigger, but, maybe I had the wrong expectations. Great movie, nonetheless.

I don't even like this genre of film but I went for the historical significance. I thoroughly enjoyed it but my film companion kept looking sideways at me and saying, "Huh?" I told her to pretend she was a kid, pretend she was a black kid and experience it as the first time she ever saw a movie with an entirely black cast except for the one token good guy white and the bad/scary white arms dealer--and it was about every kid's favorite topic:pOWER. She still couldn't get into it but having lived in Africa in a country with many tribes, I really appreciated the costuming and the styles as well. I wasn't expecting great and it wasn't great. But it was history in the making and I love it that it's killing it at the box office.

I just saw this tonight.. good film, great costume design, intricate story line but it held. It was widely given five stars, but for me it lacked or I missed the magic of the last star. That's to say will I remember this film well in ten years.. I predict not.