Mental Health Depression

bluegirl777

Greenlighter
I need help... I had a mild brain injury in 2013 that left me with a few motor problems, but major PTSD and a depression I CAN?T seem to shake off and I?ve tried just about anything. I?m cutrently on Bupoprion 150mg and sertraline 100mg, I take Quetiapine 100 mg at night and I have quit, up doses, and nothing seem to work, my Dr. is not the best I don?t think now he added Mertazepine and I have not taken it yet, I also take Belsomra to sleep, tizanadine, OxyContin 10mg twice a day and ocycodone 10/325 3x a day for mild to severe neck pain that happened when I hurt my brain, I feel HELPLESS AND HOPELESS ALL THE TIME... anyone has any tips for coming out of this darkness

Heya, I'm new too but I have some similar stuff going on.

firstly, breath. It'll be ok.

Sertraline is an anti anxiety drug IMO, which often gets prescribed for depression but I don't think it works well. Certainly didn't for me or my dad. Mirtazapine is an SNRI which is far more suitable for depression, so it's good that you have that. It can make you drowsy though so be aware of that before you take it. I suggest you get started and try to smile to yourself and think that it'll help you. Stay positive, it can take a while to find the right combination of antidepressants but I promise it's worth it. I'm on a cocktail of them myself, including mirtazapine, but it took a while to figure out which was the most important and effective (in my own case it was duloxetine, but we are all different).

Just remember, you're not alone, ever.

From a fellow newbie. :)

Hey, bluegirl

I feel so sorry for what happend, Imo you should feel very strong coming out of that alive and still reaching, reaching for answers and that one moment when it all goes back as it was before the accident, nobody can promise you that moment you (we and all the people that love you) want it so much for you but we can only help you with words which is a start. I haven't had such an accident happen to me before but I could only imagine and ponder how much hurt it would have and had brought/brings to you. You are still searching for answers and that's something to have tons of respect for it really is. Lets look at the medications you gave us, @Trajal allready gave an amazing analyses (imo again) and I would like to add a few word to them from my experiences.

My doctor prescribed me Sertraline when I was 15 year old the lowest dose 50mg for mild depression and social anxiety. When I took it for weeks, I began to feel the effects of the anti-social anxiety and began talking to people more, I could actually look someone in the eye, my social life went up, I got a girlfriend, I went to parties. This made my depression fade away (it came back later tons of times but the reasons why always had a lack of being social behind the curtains).

Conclusion: It did in fact help my depression but not directly, by giving me the power TO BE more social. I began BEING more social. So did 50mg of sertraline help my depression? Short answer: yes. long answer: It did by lifting up my social anxiety, giving me new friends and things to do (not alone in my room all day) and above all that I could last longer in bed (little extra). So yes. it helped me. now would it help you? The insomnia could go away as soon as the depression goes away if it would be the same as what happend to me. (comes back tho if depression returns)

I also notice you take oxycodone, that's a severe painkiller which means that your headaches aren't small ones, are you able to get up and walk around without having severe headaches or is it something that happens often?

Are you talking with someone professional (shrink) about your problems and do you have enough social contact in your life? Do friends call or visit? We are social animals and after a traumatic event we need social contact even more than before. This is so sad to hear but I really believe that there a big light..no..A giant light at the end of the tunnel for you, I really have alot of hope that you are going to be fine in the end but you need the right people to talk too.

I'm not a doctor but I am someone with alot of compassion for you and I wish you the best! If you want someone to talk too you can always message me too :)

Last edited:
I've suffered with depression all my life and nothing worked. Until I was prescribed Latuda. It was initially for schizophrenia but was found to have very positive effects for depression and mania. I was more depressed than I was manic. I can tell you that I was so depressed I would only get a few spread out hours of sleep a night and usually crying at 2am and just wishing that the forces that be would end my life because I was too gutless to do what my brother did. After years of taking different antidepressants and mood stabilizers Latuda was my silver bullet. Everyone kept telling me to never give up on changing medications....And they were right. Hang in there!