Creating A Religion/Church To Circumvent RAVE Act

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
So this is an idea I've had for awhile and it may finally come to fruition in the next few years as me and my partner both landed high paying jobs. (Something that sadly most I know in the scene don't have..) Because of this we want to not only give back but grow our own community of ravers. We are moving to a city which seems ripe for a rave scene to take over.

The problem obviously boils down to the laws put in place to keep community events like this from happening. Laws like the RAVE Act n such, keep in mind I'm talking the US.

I'm going to lay out a hypothetical situation and anyone actually familiar with law please tell me where and how this plan will go wrong.

Imagine a "Rave Church" maybe called something like the "Church of Dance and Freedom" something corny like that but doesn't allude to the fact it's just a bunch of ravers congregating. Events would be held on private property (likely fenced) inside of a large barn/shed.

Those that come to any event, for their first time, they would sign a waiver releasing the land owners (me) of any civil responsibility incase someone does something stupid. This waiver would also be a written form of that persons admission to the church. They would then be given a card or something to let us know they are part of the congregation. There would be no cost upon entry just a donation box for those that want to support the cause.

People are only allowed to bring one new person each event as to limit growth as well as reduce the chances of a narc getting in there. There would also be a few rules in place, the biggest being that anyone who talks about the church publicly will be excommunicated amongst others. All rules would be in place to protect and hide the community from those that want to take it down.

Inside the building there would be areas somewhat hidden away with couches and tables so people could use substances discreetly and also give us landowners more leeway if something does happen (i.e. We say we had no idea..) There would be a few onsite security and an off duty emt over time as the congregation grew.

The building itself is planned to be sectioned as to have multiple stages. Local artists can paint freely on the side and sell their art there. The DJ's would all be locals who do it for the love. Art throughout the building would be from local artists and would change periodically. Sound system will be a small F1 setup.

Events would likely happen 6-12 times a year. Possibly multi day events involving camping and what not.

So will trying to call this a church exclude us from any rave laws? What exactly constitutes a church? Do I need to register said church anywhere?

Anything anyone can help me with would be greatly appreciated. This will likely happen regardless but I'd prefer to do it the legal way.

On the flip side, say we can't make this into a church.. What is the legality of hosting events like this on personal property? If we are fenced in and there's no obvious drug use, and the noise is decently contained inside what can they do?

Thank you for your time and responses.

-GC

Last edited:
LOL oh my god.. Had me dying. The dancing fit so perfectly. Much appreciated haha.

To be honest I see the similarities between that and rave culture, people completely losing themselves in the music is a powerful thing. It's a mind state and skill that takes time to be good at, just like meditation.

-GC

I was always curious about noise laws. It'd be cool to build a soundproof venue so it wouldn't become an issue.

Also, I've kinda always wanted to have a doof but municipal laws state that you can be shut down at any point due to noise. I guess the proper way to do it would be to rent a fire hall or something during the day and have one of those daytime rave workout sessions that people have before they go to work. I guess you could always host a calisthenics class and do freeform dance with a bunch of DJs.

What is the legality of hosting events like this on personal property?

Well if the cops come due to a noise complaint they shut it down and possibly fine you because noise pollution is a violation of local law.

Generally, a promoter rents a bar or venue, has to pay for security, a license fee if due to alcohol and pay for staff and you have to pay for an event fee with the local government, and probably have to start a company if you collect tickets etc. due to making money and paying taxes etc.

There's a lot of different ways of getting around this. You basically have a club, which requires membership so entrance is restricted.

I was always curious about noise laws. It'd be cool to build a soundproof venue so it wouldn't become an issue.

...always wanted to make a "plush" room in a basement or loft space happen. Why not have a small party that you and your best HOUSE MUSIC friends can enjoy?

MASSIVES have always been about making money, in my opinion.

I live in the sticks so basically I put on compilation CDs and party by myself these days on the rare occasion.

Doesn't need a religion, already has and it's called culture. If you want to create a space where you bring some friends or start a business, you can simply go into town and search for a abandoned factory, another method it's to buy woods and start building a caban. Usually space isn't the biggest problem to be concerned, it's to watch out for the state, that's why most people who flip parties don't start them into their hometown and they select another for the moment. Your ear has to be perfectly selected tasted from every EDM subgenre, but at least techno/trance/psy to know. Anyway when you start things like this, it's a good head-up to start building a career or learn to DJing, that's another thing when playing, you need to know how to make silk transitions and mix a track. Funny water and funny pacifiers

^^^Not sure your getting what I'm saying.. And pretty positive you didn't read the OP. I've been in the "culture" for many years, and I know everything you just said.

As you said the law is the problem, this idea of using religious freedoms is designed to circumvent that issue. Also you don't need to spin to throw banging raves and parties, as long as you know people who do..

-GC

Religions are allowed to federally take aya, dmt, peyote, and cannabis in the US. Don't see why raves shouldnt be exempt from drug laws like religion, when everyone is on them at raves anyways.

Not to mention DPT, by that church in NY. At least, according to legend. I doubt they pass it out like communion wine for anyone walking in.

I'm either totally in the right spot for psychedelic intervention or the exact opposite. Tough to call.

∆ it's the believeing in magic ghosts in the sky talking to you that gives you the right to take drugs under religious protection.

San rational ppl have no such privilege...it seems that the religious ppl already delusional without drugs should be the ones banned from using them

Or maybe Church of Alien Jesus?

Don't allude to a rave nor party...it just happens to be part of the ceremonial worship....

Edit (totally trying not to double post here...): I am obviously joking. Btw Space Tribe and GMS have a group called Alien Jesus, not just that track here.

Anyways I feel this is kind of insincere and so won't meet well on reality's terms.

As far as I am aware there are electronic and psy gatherings in the US and they host parties and festivals.

Goabase and Chaishop list parties worldwide if I recall correctly (no longer interested in parties but used to visit those sites and there are more parties in the US including NY than you might expect).

Last edited:
Not a double post, completely new idea here.

This song belongs in this thread, I am sorry but it is just begging to go in here, the music video specifically,

Tone the rave down into like a cosmic ceremony and you get the picture.

Theres mad shows in the US man it isnt illegal at all to have raves. Every major city has a electronic music scene of some sort, maybe not every genre but some type of shows maybe only shitty bro shows but shows nonetheless....that RAVE act never passed into law anyway.
The only laws that affect shows it seems like to me anyway is how long they can go eg. Till 2am or 3am or 4am or 5...
If you arent in a real city yea you might have trouble trying to throw shows but part of tjat im sure is that electronic music isnt really mainstream and the stuff that is isnt necessarily going to attract a crowd that at least me personally would wanna have around anyway due to vibes...
I personally like the experience of going to a party in a big city coming in the afternoon and then staying there overnight anyway.