• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hep C treatment: Harvoni

DoctorMolecule

Bluelighter
Hey guys, hope you?re all doing well. I?m about to start my Harvoni treatment. Who has experience with this drug. Ive been reading up on side effects but I?d like to hear from anyone who has undergone this treatment.
Your thoughts and comments are most appreciated.

I went through it. 8 weeks of it. Every day taking the pill.

I didn't experience any side effects really.. A slight headache in the beginning days but nothing crazy. Other than that, nothing really.

Harvoni is a treatment for Hepatitis C.. It's a combination of 2 antiviral drugs, Ledipasvir/sofosbuvir

yeah

from wiki:

Ledipasvir/sofosbuvir, sold under the trade name Harvoni among others, is a medication used to treat hepatitis C. It is a combination of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir. Cure rates are 94% to 99% in people infected with hepatitis C virus genotype 1.

Wow what an amazing world we live in, I didn?t know there was a cure

Good luck with your treatment !

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what an amazing world we live in, I didn’t know there was a cure

Indeed. Drugs are the future. Not even speaking about recreational drugs, either. Antibiotics, antivirals, vaccines, etc. are likely why human beings are still alive, and are not battling multiple outbreaks of deadly diseases.

There's a new drug I posted about in DitM which kills the flu virus (both influenza A and B) in one day, from one dosage through cap blocking (a novel action); just gained approval in Japan, and is in trials in the US (shouldn't be but a year or two longer).

There's a lot more viruses to knock out, and science is going to get it done. It's just going to take time, money, and a lot of genius minds working.

it worked for me but it is very expensive. If you can have hep c and can get your hands on it I highly recommend it

I went through it. 8 weeks of it. Every day taking the pill.

I didn't experience any side effects really.. A slight headache in the beginning days but nothing crazy. Other than that, nothing really.
That?s good to hear. I was starting to worry it might kick my depression and insomnia into full gear. Did you experience any insomnia while taking it?
it worked for me but it is very expensive. If you can have hep c and can get your hands on it I highly recommend it
Yeah that?s the major rub. When I was on Medicaid they only would give it to me if I was having liver failure. Luckily my wife landed a job through a state university and we have private insurance. The copay for one month of this medication is like $83... not bad considering the cost is around $3000 per script. Just goes to show you how fucjef up out health care system is in the states. Literally I?m a walking biological weapon and Medicaid is like ?nope sorry you need to be dying to get treatment? not even considering I have to be extra careful with cuts and scrapes around my wife and kids.
Thank you everyone for your responses. I?ll periodically update this thread with his treatment goes.

Too bad my fiancee has a genotype to which that combo drug doesn't work but gladly she doesn't have any symptoms at all.

Yeah they take monthly blood tests to see if the virus is active but it has been in remission for a long time.

I already had full-on cirrhosis caused by hepC before the new treatments came out. When they started, they weren't treating people who had already progressed to end-stage liver disease, preferring to transplant them and then treat them for the hepC. I'm not a candidate for a transplant, however, because I also have severe COPD-emphysema and the doctors didn't feel that I could survive the transplant surgery. So they did the Harvoni treatment, but warned me that it wouldn't cure my cirrhosis and there was no way of knowing how much symptom relief I would get from the cirrhosis. At the time, I already had hepatic encephalopathy severe enough that I'd had to quit working and go on disability, along with a number of other symptoms. I had no problems with the treatment--it was a snap. Sometimes I'd have a bit of a headache in the morning, but I still have that, and it's been 18 months since I finished the treatment. I do have the type 1 genotype, as it's the most common in North Americans who caught it from IV drug use, and the stats are 95-97% cure. By week 2 the virus was undetectable, although I had to finish 6 months of treatment. One pill a day, although each pill was valued at close to a thousand dollars. I had just gone on Medicare, and between the government, the drug manufacturer, and a foundation called PAN (Patient Assistance Network) my treatment was completely paid for. I had zero co-pay, and my liver doctor set it all up. I didn't have to do anything. Since the treatment, my HE has close to disappeared, my liver panels are close to normal in most regards, and my liver disease really doesn't limit my life at all. (Unlike my lung disease...) I've had repeated ultrasounds and so far everything is stable. All I have left is a tendency to bleed, as my platelets remain low, and I still have a problem with itching caused by toxins-bilirubin mostly--in my system. It's a bitch, because the itching is UNDER your skin, but they have medication that helps quite a bit. I was given an estimate of 5 years tops to live before the treatment, and I've outlived that by almost ten years already. We do live in amazing times!

Well fellow blue lighters it?s been a couple of months but I have finished my Harvoni treatment.
Blood work is done and the results are in: Hep C negative!
So my original post asked about side effects so I?m here to report my experiences.
I didn?t really notice any major side effects other than the occasional headache or some mild fatigue, but it was so minor it really could have been anything.
I ended up taking it for 8 weeks, which is the lower end of time people take it. I was actually HVC negative at 5 weeks and again at 10weeks since the start of treatment. I have a follow up blood test in October, and I?ll again post on this thread to keep you guys updated.

Hell yeah that's great to hear! Hope the October results remain positive, thanks for getting back to us!

Thanks for that! I'm on day 2 of my Harvoni treatment. After the first pill i felt very disoriented, and after 12h had visual disturbances. Woke up with severe eye pain that quickly dissipated though. Has anyone had these symptoms?

Did anyone elses doctor tell them it's a one shot deal? Like if you relapse and get reinfected they won't ever treat you again? That's what my doctor told me. It's the excuse he gave me too withhold Harvoni until I'm 2 years sober from all drugs including maintenance! I think that's really fucked up.