• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

Can my pain management doc talk to my pcp without permission?

valiumalleyoop

Greenlighter
I was given xanax by a PCP and he knew I take percocet from my Pain Management doctor by the Rx state monitoring database. Im worried he may call my pain doc and that i may lose percocet. Note that I have never abused and use both for legit purposes. Can he legally contact him or vice versa without my consent? Does Hippa permit this? I would think all they could do is contact or send medical records if i signed something?

Your pain medicine doctor and PCP can not call each other as far as I've seen over the years.

But what WILL happen is that the next time you walk into your pain management doctors office to get a new prescription, he will check his computer to see if you have filled any prescriptions that only he is supposed to fill.

I've been in pain management for 8 years with the same doctor and before that I was in another pain management clinic for 4 years. Every single time I go for an appointment they check on the federal database. I would never ever fill another pain medicine or a benzo from another doctor because I would immediately lose my pain doctor.

He will know very soon.

Most pain docs will not accept a patient without a referral from the primary care doc and at some point you probably signed a paper authorizing them to communicate. It just makes sense that the two would and at least with mine I'm required to call my pain doc if prescribed any controlled rx by another. Also, in this state my pain doc is required to go over all my scripts with me and has to document if I used different pharmacies and why. Real pain in the ass but thanks to all who abuse for making it so...

I'm actually not allowed to fill any other pain medicine or benzo from any other dr. So when I had surgery a few times my surgeon would tell me what medicine they wanted me to take and then I had to go to my pain doctor and he wrote out those prescriptions and I took them and filled them right before surgery. It was and is a pain in the butt when you have to go through so much but the doctors have to cover their butt and I completely understand that.

My PCP did not have to refer me to the pain doctor I'm currently using so they don't talk to each other but I haven't used that PCP in probably 7 years so it doesn't matter.

My pain doc prescribes my Benzodiazepines.. just tell your pain doc you need em and it shouldn’t be a problem.

Many pain doctors are now taking their patients off benzos because of new guidelines saying that too many people are ODing from the combination of opiates and benzos. My doctor started weaning me off my benzo but allowed me to keep a smaller dose because of muscle spasms that cause my fingers and toes to completely curl up and cause serious pain.

I would never get any med from any doctor except my pain doctor (he checks the Federal database every month), but if he had completely weaned me off I might have gone to the streets to get some. I'm glad it's not something I have to contemplate anymore.

I was given xanax by a PCP and he knew I take percocet from my Pain Management doctor by the Rx state monitoring database. Im worried he may call my pain doc and that i may lose percocet. Note that I have never abused and use both for legit purposes. Can he legally contact him or vice versa without my consent? Does Hippa permit this? I would think all they could do is contact or send medical records if i signed something?

Some of these [pain docs make new clients fill out a treatment requirement form before being prescribed a narcotic. Sometimes these forms include the ability for your pain doc to contact your PCP. Some of these guidelines say you can be kicked out of treatment for getting any other scheduled meds prescribed from a different doctor. Better re check if you filled out something like this when first starting PM.