• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Twitching

Can you be more specific? Like muscle twitches? Or the need to move the legs like Restless Leg Syndrome?

I've been smoking for about 17 years and to this day anytime I get decently lifted I twitch. I don't worry about it. Doesn't seem to cause any harm.

My best explanation is this - I'm always really tense and have a ton of anxiety. When I get really high and start to relax, I think my muscles are slowly relaxing but tensing up quickly (twitching) like having "flashbacks" back to how they were before I smoked. A couple of minutes into my high it usually goes away once I'm totally relaxed.

Sometimes it's my legs, sometimes my shoulders. It kind of reminds me of a form of tourettes I saw a dude struggle with when I was locked up - where he would twitch his shoulders, stutter and blink a lot.

Sometimes when I smoke I twitch (mostly my legs). Why?

lol this used to happen to me last year.

forgot about it and it disappeared.

very weird tho.

could be tension from walking in the day and being high makes you hyper aware of your muscles

This is weird. Cannabinoids have a non-steriodal anti-inflammatory effect on type 1 and 2 (also 1a 1b 1c etc) types of muscle fibre. Twitching from only smoking weed? Hmmmm. Fuck I dont know. Not interested enough to go read literature though, otherwise I would have found you the answer.

Does it happen when you smoke alone?
Does it happen when smoking with other people?

there's been some research on THC (temporarily) causing hypokalemia, which seems like the most plausible cause for bouts of twitching (electrolyte imbalance, in laymen terms). the amount of serum THC and intensity of symptoms seem to correlate IME

there's been some research on THC (temporarily) causing hypokalemia, which seems like the most plausible cause for bouts of twitching (electrolyte imbalance, in laymen terms). the amount of serum THC and intensity of symptoms seem to correlate IME

You've hit the nail on the head. I've got kidney failure requiring dialysis and have frequently experienced hyperkalemia due to a retention of potassium. Conversely, when my K+ is low > twitching. The twitching seems to be exacerbated when smoking weed - but oddly never occurs if I've eaten before smoking.

Of course, I could be wrong. The twitching has also never happened with edibles (only smoking?)

Tom

I only get twitchy legs when I smoke good uplifting Sativa weed. A dose of CBD or a joint of something more Indica dominant normally takes it away for me.

Interesting! This happens to me from time to time when I'm really high, I've always wondered what might cause it, but figured it was anxiety-related. Which I'm still not ruling out, but I like the electrolyte explanation.

You've hit the nail on the head. I've got kidney failure requiring dialysis and have frequently experienced hyperkalemia due to a retention of potassium. Conversely, when my K+ is low > twitching. The twitching seems to be exacerbated when smoking weed - but oddly never occurs if I've eaten before smoking.

Of course, I could be wrong. The twitching has also never happened with edibles (only smoking?)

Tom

interesting, maybe eating draws the THC in the bloodstream towards other organs? i rarely get twitchy but the *worst* i've ever had it was when i had that 5g of hash oil and that was really an uncomfortable experience. at one point i was lying down and my legs were just uncontrollably shaking and dancing off the bed. it was pretty nutty, i was so out-of-it i couldn't even measure my own pulse just so damned twitchy... despite how extreme that experience was though i felt perfectly normal afterwards so that makes me more prone to believe that there's something to this hypokalemia business, sure is an oddball side-effect though