• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone for Codeine dependance??

EP158207

Bluelighter
I take up to five 30mg pure codine phosphate tablets per day. Its a dependance as a result of chronic pain disorder.
Doctor wants me to go on methadone to come off the codeine. This seems really excessive to me, as codeine is such a weak opiate. What should I do? I tried CT and tapering off codeine and didnt work.

30mg codeine is practically nothing. You really can't handle a cold turkey from that man? Methadone will be much harder to come off of no doubt especially if you're struggling with codeine

Its five 30mg of codeine so its 150mg codeine daily sometimes 240mg. I have tried to CT but its awful. I dare not think what coming off methadone is like. What is my alternative. I am trying ot get clean off all my prescription drugs.

Edit: by the way ovo1024 I love phoneix, its where I first smoked meth. Good times

Methadone as a codeine replacement does seem a bit excessive. Methadone is a legitimate painkiller in its' own right (even though it is mostly known as a 'treatment' for opioid dependence) but certainly isn't for everybody and after a stint on methadone, you may not be able to get much from codeine if you choose to go back to it, plus methadone withdrawals are apparently quite severe, especially in contrast to something like codeine.

Maybe ask for a short term, low dose (very low) trial or if you think its' an absurd idea, which it kind of is, find a different doctor perhaps.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the part about you trying to get clean of the prescription drugs. I would suggest avoiding the methadone if that is the case.

Last edited:
I think if ANY type of replacement drug therapy is needed, and I really doubt it is, subutex would be a better idea. However, just knock off half a tablet every 3 or 4 days and you'll barely feel it. If you do have true chronic pain issues though, I don't see why you should be forced to stop taking pain killers. It's really more a question for you to answer in that, do you feel you have an addiction? There's a difference between addiction and being physically dependent on a drug.

I have a dependance not an addiction. I really do need it for pain, but I am starting a family soon, and it was decided that methadone was safer than continuing condeine.
But I'm in two minds about a kid, so maybe just continue with the codeine.

Codeine is actually safer long-term than methadone, there's some scary mortality associated with long-term mdone use.

He's being crazy. If anything he should give you ER morphine equivalent to the codeine you take and just reduce the dose while still prescribing a few Codeine for breakthrough pain or withdrawals when you have to focus on what your doing and can't be distracted by pain or withdrawals.

I think a better choice is a low dose of buprenorphine or even kratom. But from codeine to methadone is definetly not a good idea.

He offered bupreorpine too, but suggested that I woukld be more suited to methadone as I have chronic pain. So its a pain killer as well as a drug to maintain. I have been reading a lot of threads about this on Bluelight and on other forums. I came across someone likening methadone for codeine dependance as using a chainsaw to kill a fly! Ha! Totally over the top

Bupe could even be worse as doctors push 4-8 mg doses multiple times a day and this person could easily get by on 500 ug 2x a day

Decided not to do either methadone nor bube. I will just taper off codeine slowly.

^ If you have legit pain issues, reduce codiene dose, and switch to something PRN-like morphine, or Oxycodone-Roxie’15MG OR EVEN 5mg-10mg as need for Chronic, moderate pain, or as others suggestions, a modest dose of mscontin is what would probably recommend myself, for *analgesia*- 30mg, BID with Breakthrough medication should be plenty; you could even go 15mg BID, (Since morphine seems to work for you, and a limited supply of breakthrough, say 5mg oxycodone 10 or 15 tablets; taper codiene down dose first, and remember even 150mg Codiene is less potent generally than 10-15mg oxy; highly variable

Check back, and there are many comfort meds, some otc

The problem is that I need to come off the drugs to start a family. Both pregabalin and codeine (legit scripts) are not that great for pregnant women and the last thing I want to do is bring a withdrawing baby into the world. I have a legit pain issue, I HAVE abused my meds in the past but not the case anymore. I should probably shelve the kid idea as the pain is too much without analgesia.

Have you considered tapering your dosage down to something more manageable that you jump off and only deal with some minor discomfort? Like over the course of like 2 weeks, take less and less till you're at the point of only taking 15mg and then stopping completely.

Methadone for codeine dependence is pretty extreme. I understand you have a chronic pain issue. But Methadone seems pretty excessive. Buprenorphine is used for pain as well in some cases. I've seen it used at sub-milligram doses for pain and it be effective.

Yes that is what I will do, and go back to the pain clinic for a fetus friendly painkiller. I will not go ahead with family planning if I cant find a safe painkiller that wont result in baby becoming addicted.

Thank you tacodude. Its been a long rough ride from addiction to sobriety.

Absolutely not a good idea to do maintenance therapy for codeine at all. Also to the above poster who said there's a huge mortality risk with chronic methadone that's an outright lie. Methadone maintenance cuts down on mortality compared to active addiction especially IV opiate addiction exponentially.

Taper the codiene down to 10-15 mg per day over a 4-8 week period. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to jump off codiene at doses above 30 mg per day unless you plan to be moderately sick. Been addicted to codeine and high dose methadone. Both suck to come off of.

A codiene dependence is what lead me to a life of opioid addiction. If a prescriber was to go the opposite way and increase the dose methadone would not be indicated. What Lorne said would be the most likely step for a doctor to take compared to inituating methadone which may be indicated after being on morphine and PRN oxy.