• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone for Codeine dependance??

If you are going to go ahead with the pregegnacy and pain medication use I could see Belbuca or the like as something that might work. There are medications which only containe small doses of Buprenorphine in the 100-250 mcg range which are used for pain.

These small doses would produce a far milder form of NAS. This would definetly be something to go to a different doctor for. Methadone is commonly used during pregnancy when the individual is addicted to stronger opioids. This could be why the doctor is saying to take methadone which I would still avoid.

Tapering of an opioid and a gabapentiniod can be painful if not done correctly. Definetly not something to do while pregnant in my opinion.

30 mg of codeine a day is the equivalent of 5 mg of hydrocodone what is there to taper that's already about as low as opioid dependancies go....

Also 4 years prescribed 3200 mg gabapentin just quit last week not one withdrawal symptom except irritability and some rebound anxiety thought there was going to be from all the horror stories online but I'm inclined to believe that a lot of those stories are from a bunch of vaginal though I can't discredit other peoples own physiology but it does make me wonder if peoples are just vaginal or potentially the NMDA antagonism of my daily methadone is attenuating it?

30 mg of codeine a day is the equivalent of 5 mg of hydrocodone what is there to taper that's already about as low as opioid dependancies go....

To me tapering is about getting to an amount that is roughly equal to the threshold dose. Threshold dose for hydrocodone is 2.5 mg.

Calling people vaginal because they experience gabapentin WD's is somewhat ridiculous and one sided. Plenty of case reports documenting serious reactions from DC'ing gabapentioniods which have involved psychosis and seizures.

Dozens of studies which have evaluated gabapentin as a drug of abuse which can cause serious withdrawals. Hundreds of reports on BL alone which also show the drug can cause a painful cessation syndrome.

Worked in treatment for a number of years. Watched people WD from all types of drugs. Gabapentin and lyrica were commonly associated with WD if not properly tapered. Count yourself lucky. Most are not able to stop taking the drug cold turkey after 4 years of use. Honestly going cold turkey from that dose is dangerous.

This a harm reduction forum. I would hope for people to follow a protocol for getting off addictive drugs that would result in the most success. A good taper to a low dose is a basic tool which can increase your success rate.

I have gone through methadone WD, benzo WD and gabapentin WD. Stopped all of these drugs in a treatment center that was similiar to a boot camp. This included detoxing while doing manuel labor for 12 hours a day in the AZ desert. Nothing was "vaginal" about those experiences. I had been using for over 15 years. I was psychotic from going cold turkey off benzo's. When I had to DC The gaba it certainly was not easy and resulted in sleep deprivation and flue like symptoms.

Last edited:
If the goal is to get off opiates, switch from codeine to kratom, taper kratom and stop and withdrawals will be fairly painless.

Your doctor is an idiot, a methadone taper will be worse than cold turkey codeine (or cold turkey kratom even more so.)

5 at once or 5 times a day? The later would be pretty standard... Even if they took 150 mg that would be anywhere from 7.5-22.5 mg of morphine depending on how they metabolize it, which is a moderate to large dose although personally I find 15 mg IV useful with 30 mg being too much causing irritating pins and needles with ≈60 mg at my heaviest use and I am on the average to lower end of use where some inject 100-200 mg, which is a heavy to extreme dose. When I had an infection on my face they gave me 4 mg IV in the hospital, which is likely the starting dose in the medical system if not twice the starting dose... At least nowadays